Anyone else love the battery life on the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vivithemage, Sep 29, 2012.

1. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

This is normal for me, even before iOS6 I could tell I would get similiar battery life. This is after a full charge about 10 days ago .. I charge usualyl 1-2 times a month generally, this thing is awesome. I constantly get about this much usage out of it, emails/web surfing/maybe 30-60 minutes of video playback.

[​IMG]

2. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Last Time I checked, I got about 18 hours of usage, and 1 day standby.

3. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Bought the same here:cool:

4. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

5. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

6. Byeen macrumors member

Byeen

7. mwhals macrumors 6502

I like my iPad 2 battery life and I would guess version three would be better.

8. chokem macrumors 6502

Mines pretty darn good. This iPad 3 is really an amazing device. Apple hit a home run with this thing.

9. tthip macrumors member

Is this "time since last full charge" new to IOS6?

10. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

****, I am pretty sure the battery logging is new to ios6...it was not htere in ios5.

11. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Honestly did not think it would go beyond 10 hours of battery, really happy with this product.

12. ndpitch macrumors 6502

And I thought my ipad 3 battery life was good ;)

This is my iPad at 3% left btw

Attached Files:

13. plucky duck macrumors 6502

The iPad 3 has awesome battery life considering the screen it has to drive.

14. Beta Particle macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that the battery count will only reset once the iPad has reached a full charge (sometimes if you pull the cord out when it hasn't been at 100% for long it does not reset) and it seems to add usage time to the standby time. (so 10 hours used = +10 hours standby)

I'm not sure if playing audio in the background when sleeping counts as usage time, or standby time either.

I have definitely noticed an extra couple of hours battery life out of iOS 6, as they seem to have fixed whatever bugs were causing idle CPU usage to gradually rise on iOS 5. (my iPad 2 & 3 would gradually increase to about 20% idle CPU usage over the course of a week until they were reset a couple of times)

I do regularly get something in the region of 10-12 hours though, and more if I'm at low brightness for most of my usage. At lower brightness, I get better battery life out of the iPad 3 than the iPad 2, at high brightness, I get better usage out of my iPad 2. (but not by much, maybe an hour)

15. vivithemage thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I let it charge overnight, so it definitely reaches 100%!

16. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

17. kds786 macrumors regular

kds786

Yep. Mine has been going a good 3 days without needing recharging.

18. toasty hoodie macrumors 6502

toasty hoodie

My battery life definitely suffers using 4G, but if I shut it off when I am home, which I do, I get stunning battery life.

With 4G and Wifi on, I can barely make 2 days. If I shut 4G off, I easily double that

19. spades1412 macrumors 6502

Here's where I'm at right now. I'll report back in a week when this thing dies. This is an iPad 2 wifi.

[​IMG]

20. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Mine is always dead at the end of the day...

I use it for school, while riding the bus (45 minutes total a day) I play games on medium brightness. During school, always maximum. It gets about 7 hours of usage a day.

21. mofunk, Sep 30, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

My first iPad 3 battery was great. I watched 2 full movies and had around 30-40% left on the battery. I had to return my first iPad 3 because of the defect.

So now I'm monitoring this new replacement iPad 3. Out the box it was charged but after 8hrs of having it, the battery depleted fast. The major thing I was doing was downloading books and resetting all the passwords. I let the battery die and gave it a full charge before using. So far its been so so. I can check my mail and it will drop a percent.

Checking the Diagnostics & Usage there is a Crash list and LowBattery Log. voltage 3605mV Partial charge :1

22. JonesMatt macrumors newbie

When looking at all these responses it seems like there are many different battery usage hours. I wonder why. Is it because of how old the battery is or are there many different types of batteries? I guess it also depends on if you are using an original battery or a generic non-brand?

23. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I just got mine Wednesday. After reading all these responses I'm going to return it.

I checked my iPod and didn't see a LowBattery report. On my iPad that just got replaced it says in the Diagnostic Report LowBattery.

To answer your question, it depends on what you are doing. I lost 10% just by it being turned on with the home screen. No apps running.

Before if I'm playing one game and having maybe a few apps open (Books, Facebook, Photos) the battery life lasted longer. If I'm playing movies, the battery would be about 20-30% used.

24. barryl85 macrumors regular

My battery was wayyyy better before iOS6, now it drains really fast when used, standby is just as good though.

25. stevemiller macrumors 65816

dang that is impressive. i'm currently at 50% with over 9hrs usage and 3 days standby. i'm surprised they waited this long to add usage stats to the iPad, considering its one of the areas the ipad really excels!