Anyone else loving the new 13" mbp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by txhockey9404, Jun 8, 2009.

1. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

Does anyone else feel like this new laptop is perfect for them?

I'm going to buy what was previously the high end macbook, but there were a few things missing. Namely, a better screen, more ram (and the ability to upgrade to 8gb), a larger hard drive, and a faster processor. The sd card slot is just icing on a delicious cake, as is the extra $100 off. My two main cameras are canons with sds, and they both have terrible USB interfaces, so this internal card reader is a blessing. I also am loving the FireWire, so I can use my current mini dv camcorder without problems, not to mention FireWire disk mode.

I don't want to sound like a brainwashed fanboy (which to an extent I am, but I must say that the only interesting thing on the new iPhone is the 32gb NAND), but this macbook pro is everything I wanted from the previous, plus most of my wishlist. (it's a shame they couldn't get that 9600m in too ;))

Let me know, what are your thoughts?

2. gfrancetich macrumors newbie

Feel exactly the same way! I was planning on getting a white macbook or possibly the low end unibody, but this just makes everything better! And the education discount gave me $100 off which just made my day. Just ordered mine :D Fan-freaking-tastic!

3. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Yeah, the new 13" Mbp will be the best seller i'm sure along with the new 16gb iphone 3Gs. If I didn't get my blackbook 2.4ghz 250gb hd with applecare included until may 2011 for only $865 I'd feel cheated. The new 13" is a great deal-not better than mine, but I know what i'll get if I need another one in 2011.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'm having a hard time talking myself out of buying one, that's for sure. I don't need two laptops, and was going to buy a desktop instead, but the new 13" MBP is (nearly) everything I want in a computer. I do wish it had discrete graphics, but I can easily live without.

How stupid would owning two 13" Apple notebooks be? :/

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I'm considering upgrading (downgrading?) my Early 2008 15" MBP to the new 13" MBP. The 9400M graphics should be plenty for my light gaming needs. FireWire is back, which is a necessity for me. The RAM bump to 8GB makes me want to weep with joy. The boost to battery life is a major plus. The smaller form factor is exactly what I want, as I sorely missed the old 12" PowerBooks. And the upgraded screens are hopefully as good as the larger MBP/MBA. I don't really care about the SD card slot, but if the cards sit flush I might spring for a 32GB just for some extra storage.

The only things I think are missing are BluRay drives, HDCP support, and audio out over the Mini Display Port. I can live without those for the time being. Losing a separate audio in port seems a bit backward to me, but I use an external audio interface so I won't miss it.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with the update, especially with the price drop!

6. txhockey9404 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11a Safari/525.20)

I'm glad I'm not alone because there seems to be quite a bit of disappointment from this announcement. I understand the iphone part, but this is a huge deal. Continue with your opinions please

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I'm pretty happy about it. I was holding off buying a computer for my daughter who will be going to college in the fall, and it paid off.

8. OceanView macrumors 65816

All and all it's a nice upgrade.
    I'm wondering if I should hold out just a bit longer for the Quad core versions possibly coming out next year.

9. dL. macrumors 6502

Almost sold on that. 7 hours is incredibly impressive. That is one thing I really wanted.

However, my white Macbook is still doing fine so I'll wait till one day the really huge update of Core i7 finally arrives to the Macbook Pro lineup :D

dL

10. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Im sure WWDC 2013 will have everything you want... until you want something else! Just buy now!

11. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

I am totally digging that new 13" MBP. Now all I need is to find a buyer for my current computer. *hint hint* (Check out my thread in the Marketplace!) :D

Shameless plug FTW! :p

12. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Just need to figure out what HDD and ram I want to throw in. I was thinking 4gb with a nice 7200 Seagate.

13. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

IDK but im selling my old unimacbook to get one..,:D

14. mrj205 macrumors regular

I personally am loving it. I have been in the market for a new notebook for months now, just waiting for the time to be right. I was hoping for a slight spec bump with WWDC, but got a spec bump, firewire, better display, better battery, and an sd card reader. So needless to say, the new 13" MBP suits all of my wants and needs...so I bought one 15 minutes after the store came back online today...:D

15. castanzarules macrumors member

I'm SERIOUSLY considering selling my umb tooooooo! Anyone else feel like the ebay/craigslist markets are going to be saturated with first gen umb's in the upcoming months?

16. TRAG macrumors 6502

TRAG

I think it'll be awesome for me. I'm loving the FireWire 800 and SD card slot. Now I can get a fast external HDD or a camera. I already have a 2.4 MacBook so that is actually only 2 1/2 months old. I can sell that for at least $1100. What would you guys say?

17. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

Why don't you sell your current laptop to upgrade? Why have two?

You could probably use the extra money toward a large monitor for hooking up to.

18. Encanto macrumors regular

Please Pardon my ignorance but is it possible to work on Final Cut Pro with this model?? If so, I may get one plus if you are educator you get a free ipod touch. Can t beat that =)

19. shoppy macrumors 6502a

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Very :p

::shrug:: a 12-incher would have been better, but the 13" is a pretty good deal.

21. Pommy macrumors member

i7 has been relegated to the high-end/enthusiast/server segment and isn't slated to come to mobile platforms (ever) per Intel's roadmap =/
    [​IMG]

What IS coming is what some people have been calling 'i5' (but doesn't have a name yet), which is a 'mainstream' version of i7 on a different platform. The first 'i5' mobile chips are going to be quads ("Clarksfield") with Hyperthreading (the "4C/8T" means 4 cores and 8 threads, or 8 virtual cores) according to that roadmap and will be first coming out at the end of this year, and the second round will be the Arrandale dual cores next year. So it's anyone's guess whether the Clarksfield quads will find their way into MBPs (maybe Clarksfield for MBPs and Arrandale for future MBs?)

On topic: I think the 13" MBP is the best thing to come out of this WWDC. I really really want one but really really don't have a reason to get one >_< Argh.

22. Dale Cooper macrumors regular

Dale Cooper

+1
    Fantastic stuff, especially the battery and improved screen. Only problem is that I now can afford the 15" as well, so I have to go to the shop later today to see what size is best (love screen real estate, need portability for university...)

23. lindstrom macrumors member

After reading all the comments in the thread, I'm almost positive that it would be the ideal portable Mac for me. Sitting with an early 08 MBP at the moment, and it is a bit of a plain to lug around on planes etc.

Thought the MBA would be my prime choice when it's time to upgrade, but maybe no longer. The 13" MBP is actually looking really nice.

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I have an external display for my BlackBook. The reason I would keep my old notebook would be to use as a media centre. I've been planning to build a desktop that would serve as a media centre/video editing platform, and keep my old notebook for mobile needs. But now I'm really tempted just to get the new 13" MBP.

Yes, I'm aware it's crazy. But the that new notebook is brilliant. Corrects everything that prevented me from buying a unibody MacBook. :)

25. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Better processor, better display, better connections, better upgradability, better price. What's not to love. Just remembered better battery too.