Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Umm, sheepshaver does work pretty well on Intel Macs. I've got 9.0.1 running on my MacBook Pro

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
OP must not have experienced any Control Panel and Extensions conflicts that halt the computer from booting. Or not having a multi-threaded Finder so that when you emptied the trash everything slowed down considerably.

Long Live Mac OS X!

Good Riddance Classic OS!

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I do miss some features like the ability to map out function keys. EG: Programming F1 (easily) to open your web browser. I miss that in OS X. I've found a third party that does it, but it's not as easy to do. AppleWorks always seems to run better on my iMac G3 than my G5.

I came in during Panther, and the Geek Squad restored my system and installed 10.1 and 10.1 only on it (no OS9), and I wished I had OS 9. I got my G5 about two years ago (less than a year after I switched), and I knew enough about macs by then and had no use for the files on it anymore that I restored it to 9.1 and 10.0. It's been a good general web browsing computer that's been placed in various places, but I finally got my mom to switch, so I had to reinstall Panther again after restoring it between 9, 10.0, and 10.1 several times. However, any time I use it now, I reboot into OS 9. :)

If only I could find a web browser for it that's significatly faster and less clunky than MIE 5.2.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
My iMac G3 runs 8.6, and I love how it works.

If I had a copy of it, I'd install it on my Mini. (I may get 9 on my iBook, but most likely not; probably just gonna max-out the iMac)

Nothing says Apple Computer like 8 and 9.:(

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i miss system 7 (my first os) and mac os 9 out of nostalgia. a part of me died when i installed jaguar and the gray apple replaced the happy mac icon. but as much as i miss the classic os, i wouldn't ever go back.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I usually only dabble in it for novelty purposes, including Super Number Munchers and Oregano Trail.

I'm currently running it on both my intel imac, my ibook, and in windows with sheepshaver. It'll crash sometimes while web browsing, but that's about it.

Ironically, I actually had to use it today! I have a virtual Windows 3.11 machine in Parallels with no CD drivers. I downloaded a TCP/IP stack for 3.11 from microsoft.com, and transferred the files from OS X into OS 9 via sheepshaver's UNIX mount of my intel imac's home directory. I then used OS 9 to make a DOS 1.44 mb floppy disk image of the TCP/IP stack using OS 9's disk copy utility. (I can't seem to make 1.44 mb DOS floppies with Disk Utility in OS X). I then put that 1.44 mb disk image back onto OS X, changed the file to a parallels .fdd floppy image, and loaded it into the Windows 3.11 virtual machine.

Since I'm working on getting internet access in 3.11 under parallels, this is currently the only way I can get files into the 3.11 virtual machine. Hooray for OS 9!

Like I said, novelty purposes only... :D

arbroathsmokie

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2005
Darlington
I only miss Mac OS 9 for only one reason to play Caesar 3, although I still have my G5 for that, and I'm now just starting to usew sheepshaver on may macbook to see if I can play Caesar 3 on it.:eek:

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I don't miss OS 9 even a little bit.. OS 9 almost made me go back to Windows- "Force Quit" should have actually been called "Force Crash".. I hated that OS- thank goodness for X...

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
Mezzanine Voodoo2 someone mensioned this card, im kinda a voodoo colecter anyone know were to buy any pics of it.

socamx

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2004
the pale blue dot
"Force Quit" should have actually been called "Force Crash".. I hated that OS- thank goodness for X...

I wonder if it is possible to change that in OS 9, the force quit dialogue to say crash...

In my own experience with OS 9, it was stable as hell if used on a non-modified, brand new Apple computer with nothing 3rd party installed into it. As soon as I start installing drivers for usb mice, video cards, 3rd party pci cards... it all goes to hell. Don't even get me started on stability once you introduce a processor upgrade that is way out of the league for the computer. (Powermac 9600 with 700 mhz G4).

Lots of badly coded software made OS 9 crashing a daily experience for me, less than Windows did for me though. I swear I look at a Windows PC and it freezes on me, at least I need to touch OS 9 to make it crash. Ahhh the memories...

I do miss OS 9's mouse acceleration though, or lack thereof. How I hate X's, so so badly.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Lots of badly coded software made OS 9 crashing a daily experience for me, less than Windows did for me though. I swear I look at a Windows PC and it freezes on me, at least I need to touch OS 9 to make it crash. Ahhh the memories...

As a Mac user since System 6.0.3, I can certainly attest to having crashes. However, I have found the Mac to be extremely stable with two caveats:

1. Don't install every damnedable extension in Creation. If you are loading two or three rows of extensions, then you are asking for it.

2. Keep your software updated. I'm not talking about buying every paid upgrade, but virtually every free update was an improvement.

There was a remarkable exception to Caveat No. 2--Microsoft! I never upgraded Microsoft Office 98 to Microsoft Office 2001. However, I kept Outlook Express updated to the most recent version. The libraries used by latter versions of OE 5 were incompatible with Office 98 and would cause it to crash. My only other serious problem was the Control Panel which served as the driver for my NuBus card-based Hayes Smartmodem 2400.

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
My iMac G3 runs 8.6, and I love how it works.

If I had a copy of it, I'd install it on my Mini. (I may get 9 on my iBook, but most likely not; probably just gonna max-out the iMac)

Nothing says Apple Computer like 8 and 9.:(

Just copy the 8.6 system folder to a disk, burn it, then drag it into the other computer's hard disk, open up System Prefs, and cross your fingers!

Oh, and only Mac OS 10.4 will work on your (what I assume is an Intel) Mini.

rev316

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2004
All I can remember is System 7.5, can't even recall 7.1. Loved it more then 8.6. Most of my years was on 8.6, hated it. Almost made me a PC user because of it. OS 9 pretty much got my fix but by then it was too late. The glory of X was just over the hill.

mechamac

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2003
I miss that left clicking in the OS 9 Finder and being able to arrange items alphabetically, but aside from that I don't miss those creaky old classics one bit. Thou I certainly spent a lot of time with both. Restarting, crashing, the whole OS coming to a stop when I held down the mouse button...good stuff.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I like OS 9. a lot. I never use it, because its just too old now and un supported.. but it was a fantastic operating system, and as awesome as os x is, nothing can replace os 9. it was perrrfect.

but then again, i prefer windows 98 over xp/vista anyday aswell.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
OS 9 should be buried along side Microsoft Bob.

UNIX. UNIX. UNIX.

If you don't like it, get off my platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.