iPad Anyone else nervous about the bezel on the iPad 5 being too thin?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by s2mikey, Oct 3, 2013.

1. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Just curious. I have larger hands and when I played with my nieces iPad Mini I felt like i was always holding it like 1mm away from the screen edge and was afraid to touch something I didnt want to or whatever.

It may be false worry on my part and Im not even sure I'll get a 5th gen iPad. Just concerned that full size iPads end up with a bezel that has too small of a "grip" area. I get the idea of being lighter and smaller but it IS a full-size iPad so users should expect it to be larger. Its NEVER going to be an ipad mini...only the iPad mini can be "mini". ;)

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, there is supposedly a "touch rejection" function on the mini, where if you rest a finger on the edge of the screen, it's not recognized as a touch. I expect Apple will implement this on the iPad 5 also, if it does come with a thinner bezel as rumored. However, I find that touch rejection doesn't really work that well for me -- you have to hold your finger very still or it registers a tap or a swipe. So I'm not very happy about the thin bezel, but you know, what can you do. :(

4. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

No, I wish they'd get rid of the bezel completely and have an edge to edge screen...

5. Zcott macrumors 68020

This!

6. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Actually yes, I'm worried.

Keep in mind I loved the idea of thinner bezels on the ipad mini and I was really excited for the full-sized iPad to follow this trend.

But then my boyfriend got an ipad mini and I tried using it and realized even with the edge touch rejection you still don't WANT to put your fingers on the screen (because you will cover content on the screen and the touch rejection isn't perfect or universal).

And now I have the newer nexus 7 2013 which also has very narrow side bezels and is also harder to hold than the older version despite being much lighter and thinner.

So my personal experience has actually let me to change my mind. Still excited for the ipad 5 though. It may (not sure yet) be my first ipad :)

7. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Yes - so concerned, in fact, that today I ordered a 4th generation to upgrade my 3rd generation.

I used the mini for awhile and loved the size but eventually missed the retina screen and the larger ipad. For about 2 weeks, I thought I had a defective mini. It kept deleting or adding letters while I was typing.

Come to find out, it was my fat fingers that were hitting the delete key, etc. . .

It turns out the bezel was too small for my hands. I know - I was holding it wrong. I tried to hold it many different ways, but it just didn't work for me. The bezel was just too small for meat hooks. I fear that the 5th generation may be the same. Of course, nobody knows what the 5 will bring yet, but I needed to replace my iPad and hand my 3rd generation down to my wife who cracked the screen on her iPad 2.

8. Mylo130 macrumors member

Mylo130

I don't think the thin bezels will be an issue. I've never inadvertently clicked something on my iPad mini. Plus, it actually gets used more in the landscape orientation, and the bezels are wider on those sides.

9. Eckscaliber macrumors 6502a

Eckscaliber

I played with the iPad Mini in Best Buy and the slim bezel was an issue for me. The iPad 5's will be a little bigger, and shouldn't be as much of an annoyance for me. I'll adapt my holding techniques if necessary.

10. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

It's a good thing I almost never use my iPad in portrait mode :)

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Just to clarify, although I am worried about the thin bezel, it's not enough to dissuade me from getting the iPad 5. If the reduction in weight is significant enough, then I'm willing to live with the annoyance of the thin bezel.

12. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

The bezel on the 5 won't be as thin as the ipad mini. You're buying old tech when the ipad comes out next month.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

YEAH ! :cool:

14. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

If that proves to be the case, I can always sell the 4th generation and buy the 5th.

15. mattbaar26 macrumors regular

I'm pretty sure when I was looking at reviews of the mini vs nexus 7 that the touchscreen can detect when your finger is just there and not moving and eliminates that feedback area while the finger is there.

16. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Seriously Apple never makes bad design decisions. There is nothing to be worried about. You can guarantee the next iPads will be the most incredible, usable, desirable devices in the tablet category EVER.

17. BigBeast macrumors 6502a

Not at all. I use my iPad in landscape mode 99.99% of the time. Since less bezel may accompany a decrease in mass, I'll gladly welcome the change.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

As I said earlier, doesn't always work, at least for me,

19. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Nor me.

20. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

And when you sell your 4th generation after the 5th is out, you will lose a good percentage of your value. I would rather hold out another month and see what comes out, because then even if you order the old generation you can get a discount.

21. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Both good points. However, we have a broken ipad and need a replacement. I let the insurance lapse on my wife's ipad 2 because it is a couple of years old. Still, I can sell that with a broken screen, buy a refurb 4 and give my wife the 3. If my hands cooperate with the 5, I can wait a few months for them to be in the refurb store, sell the 3, pass on the 4 and not be out TOO much money.

Bottom line is we both use iPads for work (and play) so I either pay $150+ for a screen fix or just buy a 4. I opted for the latter.

22. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

I'm not nervous about it. I've never had a problem when I've used my mom's or brother's iPad Mini. I'm glad they're getting rid of that gigantic bezel because it was ugly.

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

It's not "supposedly". The touch rejection works.

24. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I say supposedly, because for me, it works maybe about 50% of the time.

25. Robster3 macrumors 68000