Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Interesting discussion. I think it's great that a lot of people are more intentional with their smartphone usage.

I take my son to a little public soft play area in a shopping centre here and it always makes me sad to see all the parents glued to their phones instead of watching their children and interacting with them. People definitely could benefit from being more present.

I work from home, so my need for a smartphone is pretty limited, since I'm sat in front of a desktop all day and have access to everything here. This led me to using an iPhone 8 as my daily, because I don't need the latest and greatest. I use my phone for essentials when I'm out - messages, phone calls, directions and note taking. I try to avoid browsing the web and social media.

I also invested in a dedicated camera so that I can again be more intentional. It removes the need to have the very latest iPhone for the camera, because my dedicated camera will always be better. The only downside is the effort required to use it and the distraction. It's something I'm currently reflecting on.

cics

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2016
Milano
Interesting discussion. I think it's great that a lot of people are more intentional with their smartphone usage.

I take my son to a little public soft play area in a shopping centre here and it always makes me sad to see all the parents glued to their phones instead of watching their children and interacting with them. People definitely could benefit from being more present.

I work from home, so my need for a smartphone is pretty limited, since I'm sat in front of a desktop all day and have access to everything here. This led me to using an iPhone 8 as my daily, because I don't need the latest and greatest. I use my phone for essentials when I'm out - messages, phone calls, directions and note taking. I try to avoid browsing the web and social media.

I also invested in a dedicated camera so that I can again be more intentional. It removes the need to have the very latest iPhone for the camera, because my dedicated camera will always be better. The only downside is the effort required to use it and the distraction. It's something I'm currently reflecting on.

Seems the perfect scenario for an iPad/Mac + Apple Watch combo. If only we can pair AW with other Apple Devices. And having a better battery life, and also a Notes app. LOL. But I think those will come in the future.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 10, 2014
For years I’ve off and on considered the idea of carrying a dedicated camera for one of the same reasons as yours—that a dedicated device will always be better. Phones cameras have gotten much better, but small sensor size, sharing the battery, and the need for non-moving parts are always going to be limitations. (Though image processing seems to be better in phones?) Plus I‘m a diehard SE/small phone fan so I’m stuck with old camera tech. With a dedicated camera there is the extra work of keeping the battery charged and syncing photos/videos, but what really stops me of course is not wanting to carry another device in my pockets (I dislike bulk in my pockets). What makes it extra difficult for me is I have the most inconvenient photo-taking needs. Meaning, most of my photos are of interesting/inspiring things I randomly encounter in my day-to-day life—some of which I end up using for work. I can go weeks without taking a picture, but I never know when an encounter will happen so I need the camera with me at all times. So my desire for better spontaneous pictures is at war with my disdain for bulky pockets and big phones. Oh the inner turmoil!

Reactions: LiE_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.