Anyone else not like music for their ringtone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by otto-matic, Oct 8, 2007.

1. otto-matic macrumors newbie

I'm tired of using work arounds for custom ringtones only to have them get wiped out after an update. I am willing to pay for the iTunes feature, but I find musical ringtones (parts of songs) annoying. Has anyone found anything within the iTunes music store that has interesting cell phone sounds?

2. Devil's Refugee macrumors 6502

Never mind ringtones, if someone can figure out how to get Chewbacca to growl when a SMS arrives I'll be happy !

:D:D:D

3. cmaier macrumors G3

I can't understand how anyone has ANY ringtone. The only place where it seems socially acceptable to have audible ringtones is in one's own home, or perhaps outdoors.

I certainly can't take my ringer off vibrate while at work.

I just always leave mine on vibrate rather than risk a faux pas.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

My phone is also on vibrate almost 100% of the time.

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

I'm in agreement with you on this one. Non-song ringtones would be very welcomed. Perhaps it would then be possible to pick one that I could hear or even bump the volume up with the itunes editor. I'll never purchase a song for a ringtone that sounds like crap anyways on the external speaker.

6. Avatar74 macrumors 65816

Precisely. Custom ringtones in public are not as cool as everyone likes to believe. But more and more people love to show off their toys as a sign of affluence... and the problem is now kids have developed an "entitlement" attitude... in surveys done year after year, teenagers now more than in any previous survey year aspire to be wealthy at an early age... Not surprisingly, they try to exude affluence by running up credit cards to buy fashionable clothes, gadgets, etc. rather than learning fiscal conservancy.

Of course we live with an administration that doesn't teach fiscal conservancy either, so it's not surprising that kids think it's all right to run amok with debt.

7. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

What are the default ring tones like on iPhone?

Any classic rings?

I fecking hate fancy crap melodies and songs for ring tones.

8. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yes, there are a few classic rings.

9. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

The problem with the default tones is they arent loud enough. And if you ask me there isnt an acceptable "phone ring" at all. Only option is the old fashioned telephone, which sucks.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Cool. I just want a 'Brrrrr Brrrrr' :D sound and not Eminem telling me phone is ringing.

Regarding the volume. Thats not too much of a problem as I always have ring and vibrate on together. Hopefully that is an option on the iPhone?

11. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

It is. Ring and vibrate always on here.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

What I'd like is "vibetones." Change the vibration based on the event, sort of like Morse code. Maybe assign a special vibration pattern to specific callers, etc.

Your theory also explains why everyone complains that the ringers aren't loud enough; it's not loud enough until *everyone* can hear it. :)

13. DotComCTO macrumors 6502

Agreed. Before 1.1.1, I had a corporate sounding ringtone on the phone. Just something similar to what I have at my office. IMHO, musical ringtones just sound inappropriate - especially in an office environment.

So...does iTunes have any ringtones that fit this description???

--DotComCTO

14. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Agreed. I only have my ringer on at home- never at work, never when I go out, never anywhere else.

It's surprising how many obnoxious, clueless people leave their phones on all day long. At my old office two older guys ALWAYS had their ringer on, extremely loud, and would let it ring. If it was someone they didn't want to talk to, they would let it ring until it stopped. Honestly- press a friggin button and turn that garbage off!

15. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

You need to get a new job :D just playing... Yeah, musical ringtones are annoying

16. doyouknowv macrumors newbie

There's no quicker way to spot a d-bag than by hearing a song pumping from their phone.

17. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

hahaha agreed. I cannot stand music ringtones. With the exception of something unqiue or old school at times. . . lol "dbag"

18. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I dont like keeping songs as my ringtone but that doesn't mean Apple shouldnt let those who want to have it.

19. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

^_^ if they sold the "ring ring" tone i would love it, my old phone used to have it, my land line has it but my new moble dosnt. dose the iphone have the ring ring.

20. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

+1.

Anyone over the age of 21 with a song for a ring tone looks like an idiot.

21. ellsworth macrumors 6502a

ha ha ha

22. artemka macrumors member

I do like song ringtones, especailly russian songs, I used to have a lot of them on my old phone but cant have those on iPHone.... iTunes had none of them:mad:

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Not to get into a thing, and I hate all custom ringtones (except for my IT Crowd and Adult Swim ones :D ) but listening to a ringtone is no more annoying than listening to someone yammering away on their phone, except the phone calls usually last more than a couple of rings.

Yes I know that I have a cell phone. I'm just saying that other people's conversations haven't magically become pleasant to listen too just because cell phones are common place.

If you want to keep your ringtones through software updates then just upload then to the same directory that Apple keeps their official ones.

24. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Guess I'm an idiot as I confess I have used some Jazz and Classical as ringtones before.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Using gunfire as a ringtone at a policeman's convention might really be fun.