Anyone else notice this.

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
When I do a handstand and slowly lift my right arm off the floor so that I am putting all weight on my left side and then roll my eyes to the two o'clock position I detect a white-yellow light seeping from the lower third on the iPad's left side. This is only noticeable between the hours of 2:16 AM and 4:42 AM on odd number days and if I had a carbohydrate heavy dinner three days before. This is particularly frustrating as it really ruins the look of my favorite website: www.onlyablackscreen.com.

Has anyone else noticed this and do you think I should return it?

I know, pics or it didn't happen. Thing is, its really hard to take a photo of my self and the iPad when in this position, I live alone and don't have any friends to take it for me.

spiderman0616

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2010
Return it. And don't accept any replacement that does not allow you to do all of those things AT THE APPLE STORE without seeing light leak.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
If you touch your nose while in said position, you might be able to take a picture of the defect.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Please post the exact minute your unit was manufactured, so we can all check for this problem with our iPads. :D

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
It's probably because it's getting too hot.
That reminds me. I also forgot to mention that if I put the brightness up to 100% and cook it in the microwave - only on medium power mind you - not only does the iPad get really hot but I somehow end up with a Verizon post-pay plan. Damn you Target/BestBuy/Verizon (I went to so many stores can't actually remember where I bought it from).

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
That reminds me. I also forgot to mention that if I put the brightness up to 100% and cook it in the microwave - only on medium power mind you - not only does the iPad get really hot but I somehow end up with a Verizon post-pay plan. Damn you Target/BestBuy/Verizon (I went to so many stores can't actually remember where I bought it from).
Apple's QC has really gone downhill since some non-specific point in the past!
Ok guys, let's get to the bottom of this. Everyone please post:

Serial number of iPad
Make/model of microwave used
Your inter-pupil distance
Your sexual orientation and that of the reseller

aka777

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Apple has become a joke. If you cannot stare at a blank screen for hours on end, at a 10 degree angle, with 100% brightness, in a pitch-black room, then you might as well throw the device away.

Pipper99

macrumors 68030
Aug 14, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
When I do a handstand and slowly lift my right arm off the floor so that I am putting all weight on my left side and then roll my eyes to the two o'clock position I detect a white-yellow light seeping from the lower third on the iPad's left side. This is only noticeable between the hours of 2:16 AM and 4:42 AM on odd number days and if I had a carbohydrate heavy dinner three days before. This is particularly frustrating as it really ruins the look of my favorite website: www.onlyablackscreen.com.

I know, pics or it didn't happen. Thing is, its really hard to take a photo of my self and the iPad when in this position, I live alone and don't have any friends to take it for me.
YES, EXACTLY! I have the same issue. Thank you for posting this because I've been trying to get people to listen to me. I'm a Cirque du Soleil performer, and this is my preferred method and time for using the iPad, so it's very disappointing to have this issue. Now, we can get momentum for a class action lawsuit. :D

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
well, i am unhappy with my new iPad. I was in bed and my iPad was on the night stand. I motioned my hand for it to come over. But it just sat there. I had to get up out of bed, walk over and pick it up - with my hands!!

What are we, animals?

simmstar

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2009
Does it happen when you use your iPad without a case or just an Apple smart cover or an Apple smart cover with a skin on the back or an Apple smart cover with no skin but a TPU/Silicon back or a TPU/Silicon back compatible with the smart cover but with a skin underneath or a 3rd party smart cover with a screen protector but no skin on the back or folio case with a screen protector AND a skin on the back or a matte screen protector with a 3rd party smart cover from Amazon that you couldn't find enough good reviews about or just the hinge from the Apple smart cover but no actual cover?

Pics please.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Apple's QC has really gone downhill since some non-specific point in the past!
Ok guys, let's get to the bottom of this. Everyone please post:

Serial number of iPad
Make/model of microwave used
Your inter-pupil distance
Your sexual orientation and that of the reseller
You forgot Social Security number.

jw6961

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010

YES!! I have the exact same thing, only with my iPad, it's when I lift my LEFT arm and put all my weight on my RIGHT side! I'm so glad that I'm not the only one experiencing a problem like this. I was going to start another thread, but hopefully Apple will have a fix for this issue soon.

I'm thinking of making a Genius Bar appt. & having the genius re-create this in the store so they can see exactly what I mean.

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Does it happen when you use your iPad without a case or just an Apple smart cover or an Apple smart cover with a skin on the back or an Apple smart cover with no skin but a TPU/Silicon back or a TPU/Silicon back compatible with the smart cover but with a skin underneath or a 3rd party smart cover with a screen protector but no skin on the back or folio case with a screen protector AND a skin on the back or a matte screen protector with a 3rd party smart cover from Amazon that you couldn't find enough good reviews about or just the hinge from the Apple smart cover but no actual cover?

Pics please.

I'm using it with the Simon Game faux leather case I have been saving since 1983. Thing is I'm pissed as the sleep/wake function doesn't work. Thinking of returning it to Woolworth if only I can find the receipt.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
your experience is totally normal and it's cause of the larger battery and extra weight of the device...

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
I'm using it with the Simon Game faux leather case I have been saving since 1983. Thing is I'm pissed as the sleep/wake function doesn't work. Thinking of returning it to Woolworth if only I can find the receipt.
Ah, see, right there is your problem. You are using the Simon Game faux leather case from 1983. I am using the one from 1984, and the sleep/wake feature works just fine.

MultiFinder17

macrumors 68020
Jan 8, 2008
Tampa, Florida
Ah, see, right there is your problem. You are using the Simon Game faux leather case from 1983. I am using the one from 1984, and the sleep/wake feature works just fine.
False. I also have the 1984 Simon Game faux leather case on my iPad, and am having issues with the sleep/wake function. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.

TexasChemE

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
False. I also have the 1984 Simon Game faux leather case on my iPad, and am having issues with the sleep/wake function. Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about.
It must be a hit-miss thing, because mine clearly works. I would take a picture of it, but my Nikon F from 1959 is out of film.

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
But the good thing is that it fits over my used Mattel Football 2 screen protecter.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
No one bought the Simon case from 1982? What is wrong with you people?

Seriously, the bright neon green looks amazing on the iPad and it had special pockets to hold your Monopoly money!

I've noticed my iPad smells funny, when I'm using it underwater in the hot tub...it also didn't bring me my coffee this morning...it must be male!