anyone else noticing excessive backup times again?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by friekunater, Nov 8, 2008.

1. friekunater macrumors 6502

before 2.1 i had really really slow backups and everyone was complaining and what not...

then 2.1 came and i was so happy that backups would only take a few minutes again like before 2.0

but recently, ive noticed that its been taking times of at least 30 minutes, a few have even taken as much as 3 times that long

anyone else noticing this? anything i can do to fix it? do you think it'll be fixed in 2.2?

thanks!

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

i have noticed the same exact thing with my iPod Touch 2G running 2.1.1 firmware.

Backups are taking roughly 20-30 minutes. They used to take 3-5 minutes.

I back up daily too.

3. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

yep same here, it's taking a long time on my 1g touch running 2.1 whereas it started out quickly and i backup daily

if i'm not mistaken, i believe it happened all-of-a-sudden rather than gradually taking a longer and longer time, what do you think?

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Mine is still pretty fast and I have 7 screens of apps..

It might have slowed down a BIT, but nothing you can really notice.

5. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

do you use yours a lot, is it heavily loaded?

I use mine non-stop and I have all my calendar dates, contact information, 4 screens of apps, all my bookmarks, and just a bunch of stuff. That may be the difference, no?

6. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I am really glad I saw this thread, my 3G iPhone has been taking forever to backup. I usually click the x to cancel the backup and just go to the sync part...I was about to schedual a apt at the genius bar cause I thought it was a problem with either my computer or phone...
    Short answer: My iPhone 3G 16gb is taking a looooong time to back up.:D

7. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

well, unless we get a useful response to help us, I say schedule the appointment with the genius and find out what the crap is going on with this, be sure to report back!

8. dontshiver macrumors newbie

I am pretty sure that this is just because of apps. When I restored my phone and didn't sync my apps back for a few days, sync happened very quickly. The more apps I have added, the almost proportionally longer it has taken to sync.

9. friekunater thread starter macrumors 6502

was it just apps that you didn't sync for a few days or did you not sync contacts, music, etc.?

if you just didn't sync apps then that would probably mean it is solely apps that are responsible for the long backup time.

10. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

To add another data point, the backup for my iPhone 3g (FW 2.1) all of a sudden got REALLY long today. I sync daily, and backups never took more than a few minutes, but I had to cancel out today since it had been 15 minutes and the progress bar hadn't even gone halfway.:confused:

11. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

My iPhone is still pretty consistent with less than 2-3min backups.

12. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502

I've got 105 apps on my Iphone and my backups are still just a couple of minutes. If it is the apps causing it maybe it is specific to certain ones because my backups are not long.

Do you think it could have to do with the time between back-ups. I back-up everyday.

13. samiwas macrumors 65816

I plug mine in about every 3-4 days, and my backups are very quick. I'd guess under a minute. I have about 5 pags of apps, and sync all calendar, contacts, mail, etc.

Maybe it depends on WHICH apps you have. Some may take much longer due to excessive size (like that relax app or something).

14. cotxia macrumors newbie

I have been having this issue too off and on, and may have pinpointed it down. I think it has something to do with updating my genius via iTunes (Store -> Update Genius). I am guessing every time I do that it has to update my entire music library on the phone. Does anyone else notice the same trend?

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine are pretty quick now. I do wonder if it has something to do with how much free space you have on the iPhone. Even before 2.1, it was only when my free space dropped to less than 300MB that the speed of the backup started to get really slow. Now, with 2.1 and more than 500MB left free, it seems to take very little time.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I've got about 7 pages of apps and mine still takes about 4 minutes to back up--though this thread is making me nervous. I don't want to return to the age of an hour long wait.

17. dogbiskit2 macrumors member

After reading this, I remembered I had just squeezed in another video on a previous sync (before my slow one). So, I just a tried a backup again this morning - it was slow again, so I canceled it. I had only ~ 170 mb free, so then I deleted that video and had 900 mb free. The next backup was fast again ~ 1 minute! :D

18. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

How often do you sync?

I use my iPhone extensively, but I also sync daily, and I'm still loving the fast back-ups.

19. camarobh macrumors 6502

Back up is still quick for me

I have about 51 apps on my iPhone, sync at least twice daily, and my backups are still very fast.

20. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

i only sync about 2 or 3 times a month, so it's horrendous!
    but if i synced daily it'd be fine, but i just don't have the time, and i don't use the computer that i sync with, i only use it for itunes.

(is synced a word? or would it be saync? ahhah)

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My last backup was two hours, so yes, I have. Although, I do notice a correlation between downloading applications from the phone and the backup time increasing. But most of the time my backups are maybe 5-10 minutes, so not too bad. I sync maybe once a week now.

22. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

23. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I'm still going the speed of day 1 for 2.1... About a minute.

24. macaco74 macrumors regular

back up times have increased for me and takes about 5 minutes again. Sucks.

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Interesting. Another instance of low free disk space meaning longer backup.

For those of you with slow backups, how much free space you running with? Or with fast backups, do you have lots of room free?