Anyone else on Verizon not upgrading to iPhone 5?

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Faster data != more usage. The two are entirely different things. The former may make the latter more likely but it's not guaranteed as people who parrot this meme make it out to be,
Many video streams default to a higher quality with a faster connection. Also, if you are browsing the Internet for 10 minutes on 3G vs 4G, you'll most likely wind up using more data because you can view more pages in the same amount of time. It's not neccesarily a drastic amount of more data, but it is true that when most people switch to 4G, their data usage increases.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not on corporate plans though :p I just got on my company's (Verizon) plan a month before the 4S came out and was able to get unlimited everything (including data). Even when I upgrade to the New iPhone, i'll still have unlimited data with 4G :cool:
Corp plans are a different story. My fiance has a $15/mo all you can eat plan through work that I get to be a part of come October 8th (when we get married). It is the number one thing I am looking forward to about marriage (lol, only kidding). For the vast majority of users out there though, this obviously isn't the case.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I called and asked if I could upgrade without losing my unlimited plan and was told that it wasn't an issue. I don't use much cellular data anyways, but I thought I'd check. I like seeing "Unlimited Blackberry Internet" on my bill despite the fact I haven't had a Blackberry in 3 years.

The trick is 1. Be a customer in good standing with no missed payments 2. Family plan with at least 3 lines and an average bill over $100 3. Call customer service.. Don't go to the commission based retail stores

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
I called and asked if I could upgrade without losing my unlimited plan and was told that it wasn't an issue.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you plan on pre-ordering through apple. It's not an option. I just checked and you have to pick a data plan...

... Unless I missed something, which is always a possibility.

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
Tricky lil bastards... So I found out something rather interesting... I'm on the apple website "pretending" I'm buying an iPhone. So I have my regular voice and data plan $59.99 for unlimited txt and 450 minutes. I can either chose one of the shared plans that has unlimited voice and data with so many GB for a monthly fee OR I can continue with my plan and just add data. So I was going to pick the shared plan with 4GB for $110 monthly. Then I figured to see what they offer with just the data plans added on to my current plan. With just the data plan they offer 5GB for $50.

So I can either have unlimited talk and text with 4GB for $110 Monthly
Also charges $15.00 for GB overages

OR

My 450 minutes with unlimited txt and 5GB For $109.99 monthly
Charges $10.00 per GB overages.

Amazing. I can keep my plan, increase my GB and pay a penny less. However, I wouldn't have visual voicemail, mobile hot spot, or call waiting I don't think. Still not sure about those features though.

Oh and for those who are still wanting to upgrade and pay the $650+ to keep your unlimited, you have to purchase the phone at an apple retail store (per the website).

Just a little FYI for you all...

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
I'm so torn... I honestly have no idea what I'm going to do. I really want to upgrade if it has LTE but won't be paying retail for the 5. I use my data for streaming nearly all day long at work... I've heard people I know tell me to go to Best Buy, sign a new contract there, tell them I dont want to lose my unlimited data and they might work with me... I'm not buying it.

So yeah, no idea what I'm going to do.

I thought Sprint had 4g? They won't have it for the iphone at launch if its compatible?

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
Corp plans are a different story. My fiance has a $15/mo all you can eat plan through work that I get to be a part of come October 8th (when we get married). It is the number one thing I am looking forward to about marriage (lol, only kidding). For the vast majority of users out there though, this obviously isn't the case.
Haha congrats on getting married! Not having to worry about overages or adjusting your plan for 4G is great. I can't wait to taste some sweet LTE goodness lol