Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Why would I be "peeved"? They spent 18 months creating iMovie for the iPhone. Developers aren't paid with adoration from Apple fans.

LoganT

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
It's an application that you don't need. I don't ever do any keynote presentations so I didn't spend 99 cents on the Apple Keynote Remote app. Did you think he was joking when he announced the prices of the iPhone too?

CT1stMaxedOut09

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2010
Connecticut
I agree with everyone else... Every business needs to make money. Does Apple make a nice profit on the iPhones yes but that profit goes to pay its employees. If you look at it for all the extra that we pay that is going to them to help design better products and to keep up with the changing times in return it is actually in benefit to us. If $5 is a complaint for an application that does so much maybe those that have a problem with it shouldn't buy/own an iPhone.

freeman727

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2009
Well iMovie is actually part of the iLife package which most new macs come with, but they do charge 79.99 for iLife, if bought separately.

Therefore it should be included on the iphone 4 and $5 for 3GS users.

Listen I'm an Apple fan also, but we don't need to defend Apple's every move.

UnknownMacNoob

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
honestly- a reality check here.

Who is going to edit videos on a tiny iPhone screen? Nobody.

They made the app for iPad just as Keynote and Pages were made for iPad.

Apple then, after the Gizmodo leak, needed to have something new to show at WWDC so they scaled it down for iPhone 4.

In a couple weeks after iPhone 4, they will push it to iPad for $9.99 where it was supposed to be all along.

Im confused....how was it supposed to be on iPad all along. I'm not saying you are wrong but I am just thinking outloud here. There is no camera on the iPad, correct? So why would they intentionally put it on a device that has no camera. Essentially you will have to connect to iTunes and put your movies on the computer, then to a iPad, it makes no sense. Now, put iMovie on a device that standardly comes with a camera, to add ease of video editing, makes sense.

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
WTF?

It's $5. Someone put work into it. Should they not be paid like the rest of the developers?

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
iMovie is something I'm willing to pay for. It is very different from apps that support their services like MobileMe. I would never pay for that as I am already paying for MobileMe.

jfyrfytr25

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2008

On the other hand we don't need to complain about it either.

just because they have a business model in their laptops (including iLife with new machines) does not mean they must port that over to every other aspect of their product line.

you do know you would have paid for it anyway even if it was "Free" on the iphone 4. somewhere they would have added that little cost into it to recoupe. which I think is worse because then everyone has to pay for it whether they want it or not.

I wanna know where the OP is? I have not seen him at all since he set a match to this fire.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
honestly- a reality check here.

Who is going to edit videos on a tiny iPhone screen? Nobody.

They made the app for iPad just as Keynote and Pages were made for iPad.

Apple then, after the Gizmodo leak, needed to have something new to show at WWDC so they scaled it down for iPhone 4.

In a couple weeks after iPhone 4, they will push it to iPad for $9.99 where it was supposed to be all along.

I disagree. If I'm away for the weekend or on vacation, I think this would be a nice thing to do so you can share video with your family and friends.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR

Things don't work like that. Why should that scenario directly translate? iMovie won't even work on the 3GS.

I thought this thread was a joke, but then I saw who the OP was. :rolleyes:

CJayC

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
not really....my taco bell meal cost me 5.50

and it came out of my butt 12 hours later. How do you think i felt about that?

This. This is an amazing example of why it's okay to pay .99 cent or 1.99 or even 4.99 for apps.

mterlouw

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2006
Right, so you take your HD camera, spend a while downloading the movie to your high powered mac, (at which point you ignore the larger screen, powerful processor, large hard drive and capable video editing software) import into itunes, hook up your ipad, let that download for a couple of hours, and then edit using the good, but comparatively crippled imovie, just because of the touch interface? Sure, I'm certain that's what people wanted all along!

What's the point of having imovie on the ipad when you can't record video on it, and have to connect it to a far better suited machine to get the content from the recorder? Clearly imovie was built for the iphone, for people to edit on the go. If they really want to do serious stuff, they'll use imovie or Final Cut. I am excited though, to shoot and edit an entire HD movie on my iphone! :D
If Apple comes out with a native iPad version of iMovie, I think it would support the camera connection kit for importing video.

iadam09

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I think it's cheap compared to the features that it brings. I'm going to be using it non-stop on my trip at the end of this month =D

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Not peeved. It's not like you're being charged to record the video. That's an additional optional app. Granted it does come bundled with new macs. Different platforms

Maverick1337

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2008
5$ for an awesome movie maker app? Meh, I think i'll suffer and take this one out of my paycheck. I don't know how we'll get buy it might be too expensive. I might take out a second mortgage but we'll see.

jbennardo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Beer at a ball game is way more than $5 and I'll just pee that out a few hours later. So, no... I'm not peeved about paying for something infinitely more useful.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
I think the big difference between iMovie on the mac and on the iPhone is that we will probably never have to pay for an update on the phone. To update on the mac, you cough up $80 bucks each major version.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Im confused....how was it supposed to be on iPad all along. I'm not saying you are wrong but I am just thinking outloud here. There is no camera on the iPad, correct? So why would they intentionally put it on a device that has no camera. Essentially you will have to connect to iTunes and put your movies on the computer, then to a iPad, it makes no sense. Now, put iMovie on a device that standardly comes with a camera, to add ease of video editing, makes sense.

Camera connection kit to import video from camera directly to iPad.
No Mac/PC/iTunes needed.
Coming soon....

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
Yea.. I mean.. what sort of a business "charges" for a "product"?
ITS ABSOLUTE MADNESS

Lose the sense of entitement

dmx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
I think it is easily worth $4.99 - BUT if they are going to charge for it, Apple should stop talking about video editing in their advertising without making it clear they are talking about a paid app. ("iPhone 4 let's you record and edit stunning HD video")

koopa35

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Entitlement again.

Really> You're PEEVED that they are charging for software? Are you peeved that Apple is charging for Pages, Numbers and Keynote for the iPad?

The iPhone comes with basic editing capabilities. If you want a power program, you'll need to pay for it.

I think you commented in my thread about activating the device a day early to ease stress on the servers. Now this is an entitlement thread. I'm not buying the app. But it looks good and apple worked hard on it. It should cost the OP should instead be thanking apple for the cost of the app. This app can easily cost $9.99 it looks that good..

Am I peeved it cost $4.99? NO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.