Anyone else realize that nothing works on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steve42576, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steve42576 macrumors newbie

I can't stand windows so I switched. I like mac but definately don't love it. It seems absolutely nothing works without contacting some form of support and several hours of attempting to fix it. Printer, magicJack, parrallels, windows 7 on parrallels, etc.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have a little patience, you'll find that all those things work quite well on Macs. It just may take a little time for the user to get ramped up and familiar with how to use a Mac. :D

Welcome to Mac ownership and welcome to MacRumors:Forums! You'll find a lot of information both here and on the web. Here are a few resources that may be helpful:

Apple - Find Out How online tutorials on many topics
    Mac 101 a tour of the Mac OS X
    Switch 101 a tutorial on the process of migrating to a Mac
    Apple Support search Apple Support and the Knowledge Base
    MRoogle for searching the forums with Google (always a good idea before posting new questions)
    How to set up a quick right-click search of the MR forums.
    MacRumors FAQ
    MacRumors Rules
    MacRumors Guides Very helpful stuff!
    A list of the MR Forums (so you'll know which forum is best to post a new question)
    Maximizing your MacRumors troubleshooting experience. (if you really need help, this is valuable to know!)
    Apple Find Out How
    Apple Keyboard Shortcuts
    You can find lists of essential applications in this thread, as well as these sites: here and here and here.....and here.

If you search the forums and don't find what you're looking for, just ask! There's lots of friendly help here! Enjoy your new Mac!

3. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

other than a couple of problems here and there when it comes to finding alternative software, i've had pretty much no problems since switching to OS X. definately haven't had any problems when connecting other devices, maybe you've just got a bad apple. if you want any help though i'm happy to try ;:D

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not sure why you think nothing works just because those 4 things don't. Nothing is perfect, but OS X works better for me than Windows.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

So you can't stand Windows
    And the thing that doesn't work on the Mac you have problems with is... Windows

Got it

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Are you asking for help, or just complaining?

7. steve42576 thread starter macrumors newbie

Definately just complaining. No doubt about it. Just wanted to point out that the false advertising "on a mac it simply works".

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For millions of us, it does! Just because you have difficulties doesn't mean everyone has the same problems. There are countless posts in this forum by those new to Macs who complain that Mac OS X doesn't work or Apple products are crap, only to find out the solution to their problem was a simple thing that they did or didn't do properly. Before you blame the computer or OS, try learning how to use it. This forum is a great resource if you need help with something. Bashing Macs isn't the way to get help, though.

9. steezy1337 macrumors 6502

i think the problem with your mac may be the fleshy bit that sits in front of it....

10. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Printer -- What printer? How is it connected?
    magicJack -- Never used it, couldn't say, maybe someone else knows.
    parrallels -- Easy to use and setup, not sure the problem, what is wrong?
    windows 7 -- How are you trying to use it, it works, many people use it, so what doesn't work?
    parrallels -- DejaVu. What doesn't work, it's easy enough to use and setup.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm a convert from Windows. Although I used Macs years ago, I've had to use Windows for years, mainly because my work uses Windows. However, I had reason to get a Mac finally, and although some things take some getting used to, there are a numbers of things done better on Macs. Anyway, you need to give it more time, I think.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Definitely sounds like an 80/30 problem to me.

13. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

Just because a program or two that are not working you are complaining about? Really? Oh and the fact that one of the programs were initially based/built for Windows doesn't matter. I can't really speak for the whole Parallels thing since I haven't used it. Other than the fact of using Windows only programs why load windows if you hate it?

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

/thread

I'm not sure I get the OPs issue.

15. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

16. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Switcher, 2010 Edition:

• Tire of Windows
    • Don't seek advice
    • Buy Mac because it's "different"
    • Discover "different" means "not the same"
    • Still don't seek advice
    • Attempt to do things in old way, not new "different" way
    • Get frustrated
    • Finally find Mac resource
    • Still don't ask advice, but introduce self by venting
    • Refuse to work cooperatively to find solutions
    • Disappear into the night

The lesson being, if you want help, ask for it. Don't start the conversation by making patently absurd statements when you don't have a real basis for them.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Absolutely superb post! (Have you been teaching switchers these steps? Because they all seem to follow them to the letter! :D )

18. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Couldn't have said it better myself!

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

My main concern is he hasn't learned to use his spell checker on the Mac. It's parallel not parrallel. The Mac spell checker, it just works.

JNB tried to teach me that stuff, but I ignored him. :)

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That must be an indication that you think... um... well... "different"! :D

21. Jon-Luke macrumors 6502

Jon-Luke

May be the title of this thread should be: "Anyone realize that nothing works like windows on a Mac" but even that wouldn't be true... :rolleyes:

I've been a convert from Windows to Mac since 2007 and I have to chime in here and say that everything works just fine on a Mac, in fact on the whole it works better on a Mac! But yes you need to take the time to get used to the new system, its not a windows machine.

You could almost compare the differences to driving stick shift vs. automatic both types of cars will get you there, there are a lot of arguments that one way is better than the other and once you drive one after having driven the other for years its gonna feel wrong. But you have to practice to change your habits. I have heard it said that you have to do things twenty one times to make them feel natural. So give yourself time to learn a new system. For me its a better system and it comes with less hassles in the long wrong. Once you really go Mac you won't go back but you have to give it a real chance.

I held on to entourage (the Mac version of Outlook) for a good two years after I changed and only this year have I adopted Mail, purely because it doesn't hang and crash like the Microsoft product does.

So good luck and give your self the chance to make the change. And soon you will see that things work great on a Mac!

may I add:
    • Assume that all the other Mac users must be morons for not noticing this problem
    There may be a sticky thread related to these points - I have dealt with this kind of attitude from switchers more than once before... :p

22. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Yep, definitely a wetware issue.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

This thread is the same scenario as the thread "man please windows 7 on a mac is horrible !!!!", where the OP is blaming Mac OS X for something that is clearly a user problem. It happens over and over. Is Mac OS X perfect? Absolutely not! However, I'd say over 90% of problems reported are caused by user ignorance and mistakes, rather than the OS.

24. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No.

I have, however, realized that most of the apps I rely on on a daily basis don't work on Windows.

25. Makosuke macrumors 603

Funniest thing I've read so far this week.

My snarky answer, now that I've bothered to post, is "I know! Nothing works for me, either!

I mean, my video editing software works great, and iPhoto has never given me problems, and Photoshop isn't too bad, and Safari works really well, and I love my CSS and HTML editors, and I can preview every recent browser live on the same machine with WINE and IE bundles, and my free subtitling app pretty much works, and Excel isn't all that bad, and Word works at least as well as on Windows, and I did watch all the olympics streamed in HD, and the video player I use when I'm watching stuff on the living room TV is great, and iTunes is pretty good too, and I love my bittorrent client, and I only restart my Macs once a month, but the last time I tried to fire up Windows XP in a virtual machine Windows totally hung.

...oh, wait, that was a Windows problem, it had nothing to do with my Mac. I guess almost everything but Windows works, now that I think about it.

Also, the only system crashes I've ever experienced on my mini were due to Windows Vista acting up and when Silverlight filled up the hard drive writing 750MB of meaningless error messages per hour to the log file.

Guess who makes both Vista and Silverlight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.