Anyone Else Really Wishing For A 13" RMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by neteng101, Jun 17, 2012.

1. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Finally got to the store today, took a look at the 15" RMBPs. I was worried about older apps but I found that the optimal resolution is not Retina option but one up ie. 1680x1050 mode on the 15" RMBP.

Still the form factor is just too much of a footprint for me... 13" is ideal, 13" RMBP with the following is what I'm really wishing for...

• Quad core processor
    • 8/16GB options
    • Retina Display
    • Dual graphics (integrated + dedicated)

The 13" RMBP would really be in one up mode like a 1440x900 MBA which is what I'm typing this on. I just like having the processing power + RAM + display + graphics, but not the bigger footprint. Guessing if they do release a 13" RMBP, it might be dual core, integrated graphics only. Still might consider one of those... though it'd be sweet if they could get all the 15" goodies and a smaller panel into a 13" form factor (could live if they had to remove a port or two even).

So I guess its time to wait to see if the rumors are true - and I might be one of the first ones in line if the 13" RMBP comes to reality.

2. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

it'll happen, the only question is when. seems possible october. but of course this is apple, so...it's not real til it's real.

i'm on a new 13", so waiting for next year (and the ultra retina 13" with 2tb ssd, and 40 hours battery life...at least, that's my guess... :D )

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Yeah definitely if it's a good few hundred pounds cheaper than the 15. The 15" is £1530 with edu discount. If there was a 13" in at around £1200 I'd be interested.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The 13 would be great for people who want more grunt then the 13 air and something more compact then the 15. I think it will sell very well and will be coming later. Given the 13 is still being sold, apple will upgrade it. Only the 17 is dead as its no longer in the apple store.

5. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Definitely and most likely gonna happen but i dont think its gonna be anytime soon although i really wish it would.

6. samac92 macrumors 6502a

I think a 13"is definitely coming, but I think you'll be disappointed if you are expecting dedicated graphics. Apple has never put a dgpu in the 13" before, and it would encourage people to move from the 15" down to the 13". Rumours have specifically said no dpgu in the 13" and yes, the HD4000 is capable.

As for the quad core, I'd imagine that to be a high end option at best, otherwise not at all.

7. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

I agree that the 13" MacBook Pro will likely receive a Retina Display either later in the year or during the next MacBook Pro refresh. But, it's not going to get discrete graphics and it probably won't get a quad-core processor, either. If the 13" MBP received a quad-core processor and integrated graphics, it would be priced similarly to the 15" MBP. Of course, everyone wants the power of the 15" in a 13" body with the relatively low price of the 13". It's just not going to happen.

8. drewyboy macrumors 65816

i'll say yes to the retina and 8 gb standard, but say no on the dedicated and most definitely no on quad.

Edit: Not that I don't want those things... i do, but come on... it's apple. plus thermal restrictions will probably be in play here hence no quad or dedicated.

9. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

If its coming u will not see dedicated graphics. Just because of the retina display they need more batteries.

As for quad, maybe. But im a bit worried about heat, and increased wattage.

10. neteng101, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

neteng101 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thermals, smaller footprint, I figured as much... the extra GPU takes up more real estate, and a quad might be a bit of a cooling headache. I guess depending on how they price this vs. MBA, it should still be an alternative with more grunt (but can't compare to the 15").

HD4000 - one display is ok, but what about 2 display at that resolution ie. Apple display + LCD?

More waiting here then... I'm not in real need of an upgrade yet anyway.

11. Lagmonster macrumors 6502

Well I really want a 14" but the eventual 13" will just have to do.

12. neteng101 thread starter macrumors 65816

Same here actually - I realize they'd never build a 14" so I didn't even mention it.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

It will come, eventually.

However, running say, 2560x1600 on that screen will be a bit too much for the HD3000 or HD4000 gpu I suspect (especially, as noted above when running a second screen as well).

Maybe the next iteration when intel's HD5000(?) comes out?

the 13" machine doesn't have the thermal headroom or physical space to include a discrete GPU without compromising battery life - you'd need to sacrifice the optical drive and a heap of space for cooling, etc that could otherwise be used for battery.

The 13" screen is significantly bigger than an iPad 3's, and there's a lot more "non-battery" space consumed in a 13" macbook...

14. Stout Jackson macrumors newbie

I'm sure there are many. I'd rather have a 17".

15. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

I really want a Retina Air. Realistically that's probably farther off, due to battery constraints.

If the 13" MBPR is light enough and portable enough, then maybe.

16. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

I'm a bit miffed that they didn't update the resolution on the 13", how can they seriously claim the 13" as their higher end machine with a resolution of 1280x800? They should have at least of upgraded it, I would have snapped it up then IPS display or not.

17. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

Are dedicated graphics important with retina display, if so, will the 13in need that extra card if it were to get retina? If it does, then I think that its a better option than the 15in retina.

18. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

The integrated graphics can handle the higher resolution, its just when working with higher resolution graphics i.e. games, the integrated graphics just won't cut it. At least I don't think they will. I can see there being a low end card with high amounts of VRAM included, I'd choose that over a 15" rMBP, if it was priced accordingly of course. :)

19. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

No dGPU is ridiculous. If they keep both lines and want to charge a "Premium", then there is no reason for them to skimp out.

There is absolutely no point in the 13" at this point compared to the Air. Just slapping on retina and SSD does not make it "Premium"

Well, I sure most of you are right. Apple will probably puss out anyways.

20. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

And more connectivity! I hate that there are no optical drives...at least throw in a superdrive. Also, there aren't very many connector ports on the new 15". I don't like this transition to cloud based computing.

21. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

All I had to do was look at your signature to see why...

22. dsciel macrumors regular

i only wish the retina macbook 13 comes with quad core..........

23. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yes but I won't be interested until the 13" gets quad-core and discrete graphics. So who knows if the latter will ever happen anytime soon! Quad-core is just a matter of time. But probably by then the MacBook Pro will have six or eight cores so I'll just stick with it. I feel the 13" will be inferior for the foreseeable future. Maybe once quantum computing is upon us and the only actual specs that matter are physical ones like screen size. Hah but to take it even further by then we might have screens that unfold to whatever size you feel appropriate.

24. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

The only upside to the 13" is the weight. But now that the 15" RMBP weighs the exact same. I don't see the need.

25. Xcallibur macrumors 6502a

Xcallibur

Some people, like myself prefer the smaller form factor of the 13".