Anyone Else See the Irony?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stangs55, Jul 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stangs55 macrumors 6502a

Stangs55

Anyone else see the irony in the past couple of years that Apple has spent relentlessly bashing Microsoft for releasing Vista with so many bugs and holes? In fact, you could really argue that those commercials are to thank for a large part of Apple's current image and success in the market.

Now fast forward to today, Apple has become a company with a much larger user base (like Windows) with a wider variety of customers instead of just photo/video guys (like Windows) who have demands for more diverse and open software (like Windows), which leads them to try and make everyone happy releasing something that pleases all parties (like Windows).

The result? A product release like Vista (actually worse if you ask me). Let's think about where we are: The iPhone 3G has absolutely HORRIFIC battery life out of the box; so much so that even the average working Joe has to turn his brand new iPhone 3G into an iPhone1 to get through the day without charging. We basically have to manually disable all the features we bought the 3G for in the first place (3G, GPS)...and, what's worse, even some features that we came to rely on in the 1G (WiFi and Bluetooth) now must be disabled to prevent a lunchtime recharge. Could they have used a bigger battery? Of course, but that would have made it milimeters thicker and we all know that in Cupertino, Style >>>> Function. Add that to the fact that many Apps, while awesome, are unstable. Much like a Vista machine often crashing when you run an unhappy program, the iPhone now crashes when you piss it off...and I must piss mine off alot. I average about 3-4 hard resets per day when going between applications...and that's not to mention the two times I've actually had to restore my 3G completely because it crashed while installing a program and wouldn't boot up again past the Apple logo...I had to fix it by going into DFU mode and backing up. Or how about the 30 minutes backups we go through everytime we connect to iTunes. And...sweet Lord...don't get me even started on MobileMe. Let's not even mention the HORRIFIC launch that it experienced, but instead we can talk about the blatent lies that Apple sold its customers. It's not "push" and it's certainly not "instantaneous" as they so boldly claimed time after time. And the shameful thing is that they released it to the public knowing its holes leaving it up to their customers to learn on their own that they had been lied to. Was MMe ready for release--hell no. Did they release it? Of course they did.

All this to say that Apple is becoming what they have built their empire on abhoring. As you appeal to a larger audience, you have larger demands, which strain your development and software more than ever, which all sums up to give you an end product that doesn't quite deliver like it should have on paper. I think Apple starting to learn this the hard way and it just seems a bit ironic to me.
    Pot. Kettle. Black. Quite honestly, I don't even really blame Apple and I'm honestly not upset with them (in spite of how the above may sound). I'm just soooo sick and tired of Apple taking the narcissistic "holier than thou" approach and trying to build a name by bashing another. I get it. It's hard to develop the iPhone just like it's hard to develop OSX and Vista...but don't insult us by pretending that you're above the crowd. You're not.

2. Spongey817 macrumors regular

No offense, but I stopped reading when you compared Apple to Microsoft.

3. Wailord macrumors 6502

It's battery life isn't bad. I'm not trying to be an apologist, but it's comparable or even better than most 3G phones in battery life. People complained about Apple not putting in 3G (Steve even said it was due to battery issues), so they put it in and still get it better than most 3G phones, and people complain... it's not the battery you hate, it's a direct result of the 3G you want.

4. sel1965 macrumors member

Bla Bla Bla, was a new thread really needed for this?

5. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I actually finished reading the post. (I'll take a long post like this over one that is half it's size with grammatical errors and no point)

The iPhone and MobileMe launches are definitely below how I expect Apple to perform. They have become a victim of their own hype. I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they will learn from their mistakes. I really hope that this does not become a trend.

It's been barely a week since the launch and to compare it to Microsoft's track record of bloatware is too much of a stretch for me. I will give them a few weeks to fix this issue before I start using :mad::mad::mad: in my posts.

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, and the MacRumors forum sucks because Digg trashed it this morning.

The best part is that you can take out every reference to Apple in your paragraph and replace it with "Windows Vista" and it rings true. Is that what you did?

7. naujoks macrumors 6502

naujoks

Ridiculous. Been using it on 3G and WiFi (Push switched off) all day, and battery is down by 15%. It's virtually the same as the 1st Gen iPhone. One happy customer.

8. Fuchal macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

Wheeee, day 2 of my battery with 3G and Wifi enabled, and it gets better every time i charge it

Normal usage conditions ≠ playing with apps from the app store all day and finding your position in GPS every 15 minutes, which im sure is what everyone (including me) did all weekend

9. ClemTiger0408 macrumors 6502

Amen.

Like another poster said, everyone bitched about lack of 3G. Jobs said they avoided it because of battery. So they did it anyways, battery is an issue, and people are bitching again. They also wanted to bring costs down, bigger battery means more money. And again, tests show the iPhone has probably the best battery life for any other 3G phone. And most can't do half of what the iPhone can as well.

Also, I have very few of the problems that you speak of with the firmware. I've crashed maybe twice when launching an App. Maybe its the App thats buggy and not the firmware. Who's to blame for that?

Secondly, we already know there's a patch around the corner. Vista has been out for a year and a half and its just now becoming stable.

Seriously, just take back the phone. If you're going to whine about it this much then you clearly don't need it.

10. meko macrumors newbie

Really? could you post the link? thx.

11. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

And if Apple waited until every problem was ironed out that can reasonably be done, you'd have just as many if not more posts complaining that they are waiting too long to release the product.

12. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Yup...

As a MPB owner and a big fan of OSX, I find it laughable that Apple release the iphone in such a way: A bug filled process where we expect so much more from Apple...like an Internet-based sale for an internet-based device. But not this time.

And the MobileMe release was deplorable to the point where I just received a letter of apology from Apple and an extra 30 days to my MobileMe account. WTFIT!?
    If this were a Microsoft release, this and all other Apple-centric boards would be flaming them all day and all night.
    But Apple fans are loyal so they rarely flame Jobs et al.

I ordered my iphones via ATT and will wait for their delivery in the coming weeks. I refuse to wait in line.:mad:

13. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

Honestly i was one who bashed the battery on the 3G iPhone but i turned location services off when i did not need it and saw a huge improvement in my iphone's battery life. Im on day 2 without charging and my usage is 7h 40 min of usage and 14h 11 mins of standby and my battery is half full. Seriously, turn off location services when you dont need it, and considering there isnt a turn-by-turn navigation app yet i dont see why you would need it all that much

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

There's an article in the top rated on Digg about Woz being in the front row on The Price is Right.

Okay. That's cool and all. DON'T WRECK MY FORUMS WITH YOUR VIEWSPAM. I'm not linking to it because that'd just fuel the Digg Effect. The forums are FINALLY working at a real speed for me.

15. aristobrat macrumors G5

Compared to most other OSs, Vista can be shown to have some usability differences that irritate some (thus, the commercials).

Compared to most other 3G phones, the iPhone 3G's battery life is as good or better.

IMO, the only way your analogy would work would be if most other 3G phones had significantly better battery life than the iPhone 3G.

16. Archie- macrumors regular

For most other phones you can slap in either a second or extended battery. I thought Jobs was waiting to sort out the 3G battery problems before launching. Maybe he forgot to do that.

17. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I love the iPhone and Apple, but you don't have to be blind to realize that Apple should have tried to make the iPhone 3G release a better experience.

Still, the positives out way the negatives for me and I am THRILLED to finally have 3G and GPS.

But...

The buggy 2.0 software with apps constantly crashing and standard apps going slow.
    The poor quality on some of the phones, alot of people have leaks and cracks on their phones.
    AT&T servers go down at times and makes the wait to get an iPhone 3G even longer.
    Lack of some standard functionality.
    The poor 3G speed that should be superb in certain areas.

Anyways, the majority of those things can be fixed if Apple releases a software update and if AT&T takes a look at their towers.

18. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

19. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

...and there also seems to be a gates-like control with what can go onto iPhones and the inability of average users to get edit registry to customize the phone.

20. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

This battery life thing is really driving me crazy. Its not that bad. After the phone has gone through a few battery cycles, the life is quite good. Mine lasts me for almost two days with 3G and push turned on all the time.

21. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed! Love my 3G iPhone and it's great battery life and I love how it just works, seriously. I bought mine on Friday and it's been one flawless week.

I love how it works with MobileMe so well, push email in seconds. :)

22. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

23. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Ah! I wondered what was going on ealier today. I thought Macrumors was doing an ironic tribute to MobileMe (which, incidentally is working OK for me - faster than dot mac was anyway)

24. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That's. Not. True. You are expecting a miracle. It's a fact that 3G phones don't have good battery lifes. Apple is no exception; In fact, it's good considering the size of the screen...

You don't hope for a Lamborghini to get good mileage, because you know that you don't get good mileage out of a 640 HP car. I'm sorry it doesn't have the mileage of an Echo...I really am.

You got a bad battery or you are on your phone too much. That's not to say a bigger battery would have been nice, but your hyperbole is frustratingly apparent.

That's not a hard reset. A hard reset erases all of your data.

Mine takes two minutes.

Heaven forbid the launch of an all-new service doesn't go perfectly to plan in the first 24 hours...

I think you could have made this point if you hadn't used such terrible examples.

25. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

@ the OP

Are you getting paid by the word for this drivel?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.