iPad Anyone else still rockin' the iPad 1?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macostendoto, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Macostendoto macrumors member

With all these new iPads and tablets being announced is anyone else sticking to the OG iPad? Mine is still going strong.

2. monaarts macrumors 65816

I am rocking it for another couple hours... I sold mine on Gazelle to get the iPad mini and I will be brining it to the post office today. :D

3. stuaz macrumors 6502

Yep still got mine....

Was going to get Mini but felt it wasn't worth the upgrade...No retina, etc.

Will probably get the iPad 4 when it hits the John Lewis stores in the UK.

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My iPad is mostly a mobile Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon video player so my iPad 1 does everything I need just fine. I keep talking myself out of upgrading every cycle since none of the new iPads will do this better. They might have better screens but I watch the video without my glasses so I can't see the pixels anyway!

5. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Mine will be shortly replaced by an iPad 4, finally, as I would not say it's still going strong. It's so slow as to be a frustration every time I use it.

That said, we are keeping it and it will float around as a general use device and something to let my toddlers play with.

6. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

Not me, but my input is that the original is still a great device. Most don't use the newest generations to their potential anyway. Sure some do use the updated cameras and FaceTime, etc. But if you just want Netflix and casual browsing, the first gen is still quite remarkable.

I'm loving my 2nd gen, but play with a first at work quite often.

7. ivada macrumors member

Same utilization for me - I use my iPad 1 primarily for watching movies during my workout.

8. Liquinn Suspended

Hm. I am at the moment. Will be buying an iPad 4 Friday though. :D

9. jasonh4451 macrumors newbie

still rockin it. Used mostly as a portable video player for my kids on trips.

My 3 and 6 year olds abuse the heck out of it and its still going strong. I use kindle app on it too sometimes and don't mind the screen much.

We also have an ipad 3 and now a mini on the way

10. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Yes - like other posters, kids use it for Netflix and occasional games; no need to upgrade.

11. jedolley macrumors 68000

My 3 year old son has been using the iPad 1 for the last year. Actually, since I sold my iPad 2 awhile back, he's the only one in the house with an iPad, at least until I get my mini.

12. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yes, it's still a fine machine as far as I'm concerned, it has served me well for movies / TV shows, reading books, magazine subscriptions, spreadsheets, assorted utilities and recipe apps. I did finally order an upgrade to the 4, and also am so happy finally to have the mini available, but that first gen iPad will remain very useful. It's probably going to end up racked on top the microwave in the kitchen, for movies, TV shows, and recipes.

13. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

This past summer I gave mine to my 11 yr old daughter. She thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I ordered a mini and in 6-18 months when an retina version of the mini comes out I'll upgrade to that and give the 1st gen mini to my daughter and eBay the iPad 1.

14. jedolley macrumors 68000

Completely agree. Also, IMO it's great for kids and a better deal that those tablets designed for kids (i.e. leapfrog). If you don't already have an iPad 1 you can usually find them used/refurbished for $160-$200 and kid apps are anywhere from $0 - $10 usually. If you get a LeapFrog tablet, it's $100 and then each individual game usually runs $20-$30 each. Also, the iPad can be used for movies and tv shows, and I don't believe you can do that with the leapfrog.

15. Izzybeff macrumors member

I still have mine and will use it till the mini cellular version gets here. i was just deleting apps off it this morning as I will be passing it on to DH to use for internet and games.

It's not the most reliable thing when your online as it tends to shut down if you open more than one page at a time, but if he's just going to be playing angry birds on it, it will work just fine.

16. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

I had my ipad one but sold it at a good price so now im just waiting for the 4, although i might be tempted by the mini not sure yet. Not having ios6 was the deal breaker for me as well as not being able to deal with newer apps.

17. Lampmeister macrumors member

Still use mine daily. I suppose I'll get a new one eventually, but I always find myself prioritizing my budget towards Macs and iPhones!

18. google macrumors regular

Yep, still got the iPad 1 64GB 3G/Wifi

Would like to upgrade but it is still working and has Google Maps :D

19. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Still got mine until my mini comes, 16gb wifi for 1g and for my new mini. Agreed to sell the 1g for half the price of the mini to a buddy.

20. Ubele macrumors 6502a

My wife and I are still using our iPad 1's, although they're crashing frequently enough that we're ready to upgrade to the iPad 4. Hers probably will go in the kitchen for recipes and such. Mine might make a good "travel iPad" that I can use for books, photos, music and such and not have to worry if something happens to it, because it isn't worth much.

21. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Our original, launch iPad still works great. Mostly, it's used by my daughter now. Another reason I can't wait for the mini.

22. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

Lives on my nightstand--perfect e-reader and itunes-u player. I would like to update to 5, but won't update until the form factor is refined.

23. volboi85 macrumors newbie

Rocking mine until my mini arrives on Friday (hopefully.) It has begun frequently crashing so I'm not sad to see it go, but it was a faithful companion. I'll probably buy a new iPad at the next update, but the mini will get me by until then. And who knows, maybe I'll love the mini so much I won't go full size again.

24. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

Mine is still kicking too. It's slow compared to my iPad 3 but it gets used almost daily, when my 3 needs charging. With a mini on the way, I'll likely sell it since it won't be needed anymore. I'm still up in the air about selling my 3. I suppose it depends on how much it gets used after the mini arrives.

25. amflemi macrumors newbie

Yep, still got mine. Although the kids have it now - as was mentioned earlier my daughter took one look at the kids version of the tablets and asked if she could have the ipad back....:)