Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Seriously do not think your going to see the 11 or 13 inch go retina, I personally have not checked out the specs on the skylake processor but if it were used and retina screen was put on the Air's would you see the same battery life?

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
If Apple does replace the Macbook Air they'll only offer the new Macbooks at the lower price point cutting both RAM and SSD space. And that will be a pretty terrible experience for those who buy it.

I tend to think that's exactly what Apple will do to include a sub $1K notebook in their lineup, given that cutting RAM and storage is the easiest move to make, as well as a $100 price cut from the current model. Then cutting the MBA becomes an easier move.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Every thread on this topic needs to clearly identify which is more important:

A device called Macbook Air

or

A device that uses the Intel U series processors

The current Macbook uses a different class of processor than the current Macbook Air. Apple will not abandon an entire market segment by abandoning the Intel U series chips. IMO, having a device with the name 'Macbook Air' is 100% irrelevant. Apple could call the device the 'Macbook ****' and as long as it had an Intel 6650U or something similar it would differentiate itself from the current Macbook and people would buy it.

People are so hung up on "Air" as being the important item... I don't understand it.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

or

The current Macbook uses a different class of processor than the current Macbook Air. Apple will not abandon an entire market segment by abandoning the Intel U series chips. IMO, having a device with the name 'Macbook Air' is 100% irrelevant. Apple could call the device the 'Macbook ****' and as long as it had an Intel 6650U or something similar it would differentiate itself from the current Macbook and people would buy it.

People are so hung up on "Air" as being the important item... I don't understand it.

Well said.

But why bother keeping the U series around? If you price out a current 13" Air and Pro to similar specs, they're pretty close in cost.

Looking to the future, if you gave the Air a retina screen, there's very little that differentiates the two, and Apple isn't into niche-filling most of the time. I have a hard time seeing a future Apple computer lineup that includes the current MacBook, Air, and Pro lines, but all with retina screens. I know Intel supplies the different class of chips (Core M, U-, and H-series) to enable it, but the difference between a 13" retina Air and 13" retina Pro would be too small.

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time

"Air" is the name Apple has applied to a class of computer, namely 11" and 13", highly portable, moderately powerful laptop computers. That class has been described by more than one rating entity as the best laptops in the world. Whether Apple chooses to maintain the Air class of laptops is unknown at this time.

Apple muddied the marketplace by introducing the Macbook, a 12", even more portable laptop that, due to having only one port, seems geared to those who are happy using cloud storage. While "Air" devotees can and do use cloud storage (me, for instance), the computer has the flexibility to plug in a couple USB drives, or a Thunderbolt drive, or a big, fancy monitor—all at the same time (no, I don't want to hear about multi-headed USB-C adapters).

I don't think anyone cares what Apple calls that line of computers; MacBook Ritazorch anyone? What we do care about is Apple discontinuing the best laptop computer in the world.

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
"Air" is the name Apple has applied to a class of computer, namely 11" and 13", highly portable, moderately powerful laptop computers. That class has been described by more than one rating entity as the best laptops in the world. Whether Apple chooses to maintain the Air class of laptops is unknown at this time.

Apple muddied the marketplace by introducing the Macbook, a 12", even more portable laptop that, due to having only one port, seems geared to those who are happy using cloud storage. While "Air" devotees can and do use cloud storage (me, for instance), the computer has the flexibility to plug in a couple USB drives, or a Thunderbolt drive, or a big, fancy monitor—all at the same time (no, I don't want to hear about multi-headed USB-C adapters).

I don't think anyone cares what Apple calls that line of computers; MacBook Ritazorch anyone? What we do care about is Apple discontinuing the best laptop computer in the world.

They won't stop making laptops with the U series chips. The fact of the mater is Intel finally got the CoreM to a 'usable' state. It was Intel's decision to make a chip designed for slimmer more portable machines, not Apples. Apple simple did what Intel hoped, make a thinner, smaller, lighter laptop.

It doesn't have the performance people expect from an Air so its not called Air. Apple will make a new 'Air' class machine simply because the market demands it. It will not be as thin or light as the Macbook. Its a fact of Intels technology not Apples choice.

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
They won't stop making laptops with the U series chips. The fact of the mater is Intel finally got the CoreM to a 'usable' state. It was Intel's decision to make a chip designed for slimmer more portable machines, not Apples. Apple simple did what Intel hoped, make a thinner, smaller, lighter laptop.

It doesn't have the performance people expect from an Air so its not called Air. Apple will make a new 'Air' class machine simply because the market demands it. It will not be as thin or light as the Macbook. Its a fact of Intels technology not Apples choice.

I was talking form factor, not chipsets.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
I was talking form factor, not chipsets.

I think this is where people are getting confused. The chip largely determines the form factor. Apple made a laptop thinner, lighter and more portable than the Macbook Air BECAUSE Intel made a chip designed to help manufacturers make laptops thinner, lighter, and more portable than the existing models.

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
… Apple made a laptop thinner, lighter and more portable than the Macbook Air BECAUSE Intel made a chip designed to help manufacturers make laptops thinner, lighter, and more portable than the existing models.

Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. There are a lot of people who like the Macbook, but single-port, short key travel will alienate a lot of users. I think the MBA's days are numbered. I'll use mine until it no longer functions. I don't believe I'm alone.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Sadly, I think you are correct. (I'm not sad that you are correct, but that the MBA will most likely get a minor spec bump). :)

I'm embarrassed by how much I enjoy using my 2014 11" MBA 4GB/128GB. I'm still amazed that a device that is virtually the same size as my iPad Air 2 is a full-functioning OSX notebook.
SR, it has been my Fav since the first model
[doublepost=1455922877][/doublepost]

or

It's simple really, the MBA's have been bullet proof, Apples hottest sellers, loved by just about everybody

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Kurso

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. There are a lot of people who like the Macbook, but single-port, short key travel will alienate a lot of users. I think the MBA's days are numbered. I'll use mine until it no longer functions. I don't believe I'm alone.

So you believe that Apple will not make another laptop with Intel's U series chips? What would make you think that?

cincygolfgrrl

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2012
Somewhere In Time
So you believe that Apple will not make another laptop with Intel's U series chips? What would make you think that?

Overlapping niche and evolution are what make me think that. Sadly, I know nothing about chips; that's unlikely to change.

In the course of trying to craft an intelligent response I've realized I'm hampered by lack of knowledge. What I do know is the rMB, the cool, new design, is butting heads with the long-in-the-tooth MBA. I think Apple will expand the Macbook line and use whatever chip allows it to do so. Since both MBA and rMB are aimed at content creators and average users, both of whom can be persuaded to store files in the cloud, the rMB will win for the next seven years, at which time something we can't foresee today will take its place.

Apple will stand pat for only so long, then it's off to the next "best new thing."

Reactions: navaira

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I sure do hope not.

While the "new" MB is a cute little machine, it's targeted at the "Starbucks" users and those with just light work, checking emails now and then, a little bit of browsing ...

the MBP is targeted at Pros who need a lot of power.

But guess what, there is that group in-between who wants in-between power (and portability). I love my 13'' MBA, I've been in the MBA boat since the very first one came out. There is no better machine combining portability and just the right amount of power.

I'm in the market for a new macbook and really hope they don't discontinue it. I'm putting of getting one, hoping there will be a at least a slight update (retina would be great, but not a must). For me, the MBP is too heavy and overpowered, whereas the MB is too small (I want and need 13'' for decent work) and greatly underpowered. That keyboard is horrible for anything beyond an email... being a PhD student and working in science, I have to type a LOT. No-can-do with that keyboard.

And I don't really care about the price (i.e. the MBA being the entry-level macbook now). All I want is enough power at good portability and size. The MB is not even close to being a good alternative to the MBA...not now and I doubt it will be even close to being one anytime soon.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
"Apple muddied the marketplace by introducing the Macbook, a 12", even more portable laptop that, due to having only one port, seems geared to those who are happy using cloud storage. While "Air" devotees can and do use cloud storage (me, for instance), the computer has the flexibility to plug in a couple USB drives, or a Thunderbolt drive, or a big, fancy monitor—all at the same time (no, I don't want to hear about multi-headed USB-C adapters).

I think you're right though, when the MacBook was announced, I could see that it would immediately be an attractive option to some people who would be 11" Air users, but that for the majority, it was too limited in terms of connectivity options. Presumably the next iteration will be more powerful but they're unlikely to add any more ports, so where does that leave people looking to upgrade their Air?

I'm surprised they've not released some sort of mini hub (or a new 27" USB-C display) for the MacBook which would let users connect that big Thunderbolt display and storage arrays etc when working from their desk. But then Apple's data might show that the amount of people who want such a thing are in the minority.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year when the MBA and MacBook lines are refreshed/updated.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I think you're right though, when the MacBook was announced, I could see that it would immediately be an attractive option to some people who would be 11" Air users, but that for the majority, it was too limited in terms of connectivity options. Presumably the next iteration will be more powerful but they're unlikely to add any more ports, so where does that leave people looking to upgrade their Air?

I think the connectivity issue will, over time, go away with the advent of more and more USB-C-enabled devices. If you ask me, USB-C is the single best computer advancement in a while: we've now got one cable that can really dock a computer, and with TBolt 3, can move data at some pretty serious rates. I can easily see where, in 2 or 3 years, "connectivity options" won't be a concern because USB-C will be the only thing you'll need. But that obviously doesn't help much right now.

I'm surprised they've not released some sort of mini hub (or a new 27" USB-C display) for the MacBook which would let users connect that big Thunderbolt display and storage arrays etc when working from their desk. But then Apple's data might show that the amount of people who want such a thing are in the minority.

It will be interesting to see what happens this year when the MBA and MacBook lines are refreshed/updated.

I'm really looking forward to a future T-Bolt display (not that we're guaranteed to get one). While a bit of a niche market, I think Apple would actually do well to release not only a 27" 5K display, but hopefully a 23 or 24" 4K display as well, similar to how they used to have two Cinema Displays sizes. Profesionals will want the big screen, but I think there's a market for a smaller T-Bolt display for consumers, if it's priced right. Of course, the only cable you'd need is USB-C and let the display be the dock.

Reactions: cincygolfgrrl

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Personally, I"m hoping for some big changes in Apple's entire computer range, given Skylake and USB-C. I'd like to see 12 and 14" Macbooks and 14 and 16" Macbook Pros. Keep the Air around for another year for one last hurrah, then EOL.

If I was a betting woman, I'd wager a few $, £, or € that Apple, before the end of 2016, will have announced/released, a 14" rMB with an upgraded processor that makes it viable. The 12" rMB will get a performance bump too. These notebooks won't be for everyone, but they'll be marketed as a perfect fit for content creators and average users. And Apple will be correct.

Im with both of you on upcoming 14" and 16" notebooks from Apple, however my difference in opinion here is that the 14" will be the new MacBook Air and the 16" will be the new Pro, while the MacBook remains at 12" exclusively.

I believe Apple will go to extreme lengths to simplify the MacBook lineup with one size per model, just like the iPad and iPhone lineups.

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
My 13" MBA 2013 still rocks mostly thanks to 8GB RAM.

Only thing that is stopping it now is whatever next OS X update there is.

Mavericks had the best speed and battery life. Yosemite made my Mac almost basically unusable because it lagged and was slow as ****. El Capitan made a lot of things better and I don't think it will get any better.

Reactions: errol

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I dont see the point of the MBA, time for apple retired it to history.
They have two other great offerings in the rMB and rMBP,

Reactions: Jayderek

Noble Actual

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2014
There is one problem for the new Macbook replacing the Macbook Air: From Apple's perspective, the new Macbook is priced cheap. The reason is that Apple is never compromising on having the customer pay an extra $200 USD for either an upgrade from a 128GB SSD to 256GB or for an upgrade from 4GB RAM to 8GB RAM.

This entirely explains the Macbook's pricing over the Macbook Air's cheapest options, because the Macbook comes standard with 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. This machine is of course perfect for students with these extra specs, and its better display, because this allows students to comfortably run Microsoft Windows in a virtual machine.

If Apple does replace the Macbook Air they'll only offer the new Macbooks at the lower price point cutting both RAM and SSD space. And that will be a pretty terrible experience for those who buy it.

Totally agree but I have to say the new 12" MacBook is not made for students (have yet to see someone actually have one). It has ONE USB-C port and you do not need a retina display to make it easier to run or see Windows on a VM. I also really haven't seen anyone students besides CS/SE bootcamp or use a VM on Mac.

Honestly the MacBook is pretty overpriced for a college student who wants the most bang for buck. Can't really beat an slightly older model 13" MBA or MBP (Retina). Lots of power, still great battery life, multiple ports which is needed, and most important of all, WAY CHEAPER.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010

or

Edit: NM. I was wrong

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
Totally agree but I have to say the new 12" MacBook is not made for students (have yet to see someone actually have one). It has ONE USB-C port and you do not need a retina display to make it easier to run or see Windows on a VM. I also really haven't seen anyone students besides CS/SE bootcamp or use a VM on Mac.

Honestly the MacBook is pretty overpriced for a college student who wants the most bang for buck. Can't really beat an slightly older model 13" MBA or MBP (Retina). Lots of power, still great battery life, multiple ports which is needed, and most important of all, WAY CHEAPER.

I agree. Most students will a) need a cheap machine and b) be using their laptop as their main machine, so they will need lots of ports. Longer battery life is more important than a retina screen for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.