Anyone else think smart covers are annoying?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Gregintosh, Mar 12, 2011.

?

For smart cover owners: how do you like your smart cover?

1. I like it

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  2. Don't care for it

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  3. Meh, could go either way

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

I played with my iPad with it's new smart cover and I found it extremely annoying.

When you use the iPad 2 on it's own, it feels great in the hand. Much better than the original iPad because it's so thin. It is a please to hold.

With the smart cover, you either have it dangling to the side, or you have to pull it back to cover the back while you are using it. Both options are annoying.

When it's off to the side you can't really grip in comfortable positions. With it peeled back it feels as thick as an original iPad. Plus, I prefer the texture of aluminum to micro fiber. The hinge is also not as comfortable to grip.

The only thing useful about it is that it does seem to clean the screen a bit, but not as well as I can clean it myself with my own micro fiber wipe. The other thing that may be marginally useful is using it to prop up your iPad. I do all my iPad work by holding it since I'm usually not at a desk when I use the iPad (most common is couch or bed for me), so for me propping it up is unimportant.

My conclusion: this thing is going back. I can't believe I paid $39 for it. I will return it and get some other accessories instead, like a dock or a stylus (I heard they make some drawing apps more fun).

Smart covers are one of those accessories that look great in a video and sound awesome in theory, but fail in real world everyday usage.

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't even buy a case (especially after my experience with the first iPad Apple case), but if I had to, I think the Smart Cover looks cool.

Also, are you even supposed to keep it on when you're using it? I think you're supposed to cover it when it's not in use, right?

3. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure. I guess it's easy enough to remove, but it'll get annoying to have to find a place to put it all the time while not in use. I imagine it may also scratch the iPad with frequent reapplication (several times a day).

I will probably just get an invisible shield for the back (adds virtually no weight or thickness), and keep the glass uncovered. On my original iPad I had the invisible shield on the front and back and I missed the way the glass texture would feel (the shield felt a little rubbery).

I had my iPhone for a long while and the only two minor scratches on the glass are from where I accidentally put my Keys in the same pocket. That is sure not to happen with my iPad, as I have a dedicated sleeve for it for travel. My conclusion is that the glass is meant to be touched.

4. karmamule macrumors 6502

karmamule

That's what I assumed. I take it off entirely while using it. I think this cover is designed for those who like using their devices naked, and that's why I like it.

Hmmm, that doesn't sound quite right...

5. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I only use it as a stand when my iPad is on a surface. In my hands, it comes off. What's nice is that it's not a pain in the ass at all to snap on and off.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

Slightly less annoying than the numerous inane post about them.

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

No choice for LOVE IT??

I love the thing. Got the black leather and couldn't be happier!! :D

8. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Have you tried folding it in half when it is behind the screen? That is the best way I have found when holding it in portrait. The magnets stick it together, plus you can use the camera as well.

9. qb84 macrumors newbie

I'm glad I got them for free because if I paid 40 bucks I would be returning it today. It just sucks. Yes it protects the front and turns the iPad on and off. Big deal. I wanted something like we had for the iPad 1. It protected the whole iPad and it was nice to hold. This one is a pain when the cover is on the back. I guess I have to wait and see what the third party companies create.

10. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

I think it's more like a gimmick than a usefull object

11. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I bought the grey polyurethane version and I think it's great. I love how it stands the iPad up, I can have it on my stomach while laying on my back or on the bed and it stays up by itself. I know there are a lot of cases that do this but they also add bulk which takes away from the design of the iPad.

I'm not too concerned about the back as I never really have it resting on the back. If not in use, then I cover the front and then set it face down on the table.

As for when the cover is folded back, I fold the cover itself in half and it sticks to itself and I find it actually makes the iPad easier to hold with one hand, sort of acts like a grip (in portrait mode).

12. TheBaconKing macrumors regular

TheBaconKing

I don't really see myself using the camera, but I do like the feel of leather over the micro cloth or whatever it is on the underside...