Anyone else think that Yahoo Push slow/unreliable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAlba, Jul 1, 2007.

1. DAlba macrumors newbie

Sometimes I receive the email within a minute other times it doesnt even come through at all unless I go to my mail program and it autosyncs.

What has been other experiences with Yahoo Push

2. sikuss macrumors member

sikuss

3. appleii2mac macrumors regular

You actually got Yahoo push to work? How did you manage that?

4. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Compared to Blackberry "Push", yes everything sucks, so far.

5. angrygolfer macrumors 6502

6. docc macrumors 6502

I actually think that the push email from Yahoo works surprisingly WELL. I hope you guys added the "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" in the adavanced settings of your Yahoo email account under settings.

I get messages within 5-10 seconds even before they show up on my notebook! Its definitely worth having!

Cheers.

7. defeated macrumors regular

I heard its more like "Pull from yahoo server", rather than "Push by yahoo server".

8. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

5 mins.
    23 mins.

between two test emails...

For me I am not convinced but have no doubt it will improve.

9. somberlaine macrumors member

It works fine for me. I get emails within seconds. I even had my ISP email address forwarded to my yahoo email address and it works just as good. I have yet to test it on EDGE. I am not sure how quick it will be.

10. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yep. It works. Almost instantly my phone beeps, when I send a yahoo message. Works great!

11. docc macrumors 6502

Yea, but when my emails are forwarded from gmail to yahoo, i don't get them immediately. What gives?

12. DAlba thread starter macrumors newbie

Doc are are saying to enter imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com in the
    IMAP Path Prefix box?

Also, is there anyway to set this up on my desktop using Apple Mail without paying for pop access?

13. St. Germain macrumors 6502

Once I added "imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com" to Settings > Advanced > Yahoo account > IMAP Path Prefix it started receiving emails almost instantly. Literally within seconds.

My only issue now is that I don't want to use my yahoo address as my "From" address on email sent from the iPhone. Anyone have any suggestions for changing that?

14. dr427 macrumors regular

dr427

Just did the Imap thing. I guess I thought it would setup automatically. :eek:

I will give it a whirl in the morning! BTW, I too was experiencing erradict times from instant to 20 mins. From/To a yahoo account.

15. kgarchar macrumors 6502

my iphone buzzes before my computer gets the email

so yeah

16. docc macrumors 6502

But when i forward my gmail to my yahoo mail, i am not able to the emails instantaneously. Anyone know why?

17. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

My Yahoo works well, although I've seen the headers get out of sync with the message body a few times.

18. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I just want push gmail. I don't understand why apple and google didn't create something sooner

19. docc macrumors 6502

Ok, so i got gmail push working indirectly. I forward all my messages to my yahoo account and through the IMAP prefix path imap.apple.mail.com (NOT imap.apple.mail.yahoo.com), i got it working.

Try it out....its BLAZING fast.

Cheers.

20. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I'm going to try this, because my Yahoo! Mail is terribly slow right now...

21. dsampley macrumors regular

dsampley

I tried the imap setting as suggested above. When I did, I lost visibility of all of my folders in my Yahoo account so I was unable to file any email received in my in box. Has anyone else seen this?

Once I removed the prefix setting, I received visibility back of all my Yahoo email folders.

22. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Isnt that missing a Yahoo in there somewhere?

23. pkts macrumors member

I have the same problem! Trying to put the competition at a disadvantage maybe? :)

24. germ war macrumors member

My only complain with my Blackberry was that I never found a way where I could request to check e-mail right away. The lag between when I would receive an e-mail on the server and when it would go to my Blackberry, for a regular POP account, was never anything approaching instantaneous.

I owned a Sidekick II, and while the push wasn't as fast as the Blackberry, I felt confident knowing that if it had e-mail on the server, and I manually checked it, the phone would download the e-mail that was there.

The iPhone, as of now, lives up to neither of those phones in that department, and I'm sure there have been numerous other e-mail phones that surpass it in its current state.

Not that I don't love it. But I am looking forward to the first software update.

25. elistan macrumors 6502a

Yahoo push works perfectly for me. I'm curious - for those of you who don't have it working, how did you initially set up your account? Sync from your computer, or did you go through the iPhone interface and pick Yahoo out of the list of providers? I did the latter, and it works great. I'm guessing it has pre-configured settings that makes it work, and if you sync from your computer it just defaults to standard POP or something.