Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dreads

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2015
I bought a max on release day and within a month I swapped back to ip7+ it was home button related I’ve since bought a used red xr from a friend and I’ve now swapped to it yes still no home button but I’m a bloke with smallish hands and it does feel quite nice to use tbh I’ve still got the max but I am happy using this device for the time being..

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
The 7+ I used for over a year was too big. I went with it to make the change from the 6 more obvious.

I still have the 7+ for a backup line on another carrier. I take it along in the car on road trips.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
What does that have to do with the size of the device? Will 3D Touch stop working with iOS 13? Not to my knowledge so it will likely still be a relevant function on supported devices. That other devices get something similar doesn’t matter to me one bit.

The OP mentioned 3D Touch.

And my point is that with iOS 13, the XR has a lot of 3D Touch features, which lessons one of the bigger annoyances for people downgrading fro the XS to the XR.

Reactions: ScreenSavers

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I played with the Note 10+ last night extensively and let's just say my Xs Max felt small afterward.

So nope, I'm good Xs Max.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
Yes. I've had a Max since the release, but I think I prefer the 5.8" device. I am leaning toward the smaller phone next time around since I am more often valuing portability. If I need more screen then there's my iPP 11. And if I need even more real estate, I have a 15" MBP, connected to a 27" 5K display.

Reactions: apolloa

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I'm sure a lot of people think it's too big. Too big or too small is subjective. I have one and I love it, it's a perfect size, for me. And it's the best phone I've owned. I love it. It's not for everyone. People are different and like different things.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I like the size but this is the biggest I would go with phone size.

its actually a tad smaller then the 8+.

I love the size also, but am looking forward to the rumored 6.7” in 2020.
They should be able to keep the overall chassis size the same if the just make the corners less rounded (I think ).

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
I'm sure a lot of people think it's too big. Too big or too small is subjective. I have one and I love it, it's a perfect size, for me. And it's the best phone I've owned. I love it. It's not for everyone. People are different and like different things.

True...and I’ve always wanted the biggest stuff as well, but maybe I’m outgrowing it. I did get the 11” iPad Pro this year after having the 12.9 of the other gererations.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I love the size also, but am looking forward to the rumored 6.7” in 2020.
They should be able to keep the overall chassis size the same if the just make the corners less rounded (I think ).
I hope they don’t make them to rounded like Samsung, I hate curved edge displays.

Reactions: jagolden

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Yheres no right answer to this question as it’s about each individuals type of use of the iPhone. If you want it to watch movies or play games Larger is better. If you use it to text and call people smaller is better
Also hand size plays a part as to what size is good for you which is why Apple puts out two sizes

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
For me, yes. That’s why I have the XS instead. The Max and XR don’t really offer anything to make up for their massive size. People will say it’s better for videos and photos due to the larger screen but most of my everyday use does not involve those enough to make me want to deal with the unwieldy size.

It would make sense if iOS was tailored to make better use of the screen size but now it’s just a larger, more difficult to operate XS.

Reactions: apolloa

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
XR seems like the optimal size to me, and wouldn’t want anything bigger. Then again I said that about the 6, and the 5
[doublepost=1565516618][/doublepost]
Love reading all the opinions. Too bad there’s no 6” XS Plus or something like that. That would be ideal!

XR

Reactions: ScreenSavers

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
For me, yes. That’s why I have the XS instead. The Max and XR don’t really offer anything to make up for their massive size. People will say it’s better for videos and photos due to the larger screen but most of my everyday use does not involve those enough to make me want to deal with the unwieldy size.

It would make sense if iOS was tailored to make better use of the screen size but now it’s just a larger, more difficult to operate XS.

They do, they offer zoomed screen mode over the XS, and that makes a noticeable difference in the size of text including on websites, it’s the only feature that will increase website text size other then the magnifying glass. It’s the mode that meant you could have a 4.7” iPhone and still read websites easily. The 5.8” size doesn’t have the feature.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

Maybe they don’t offer anything to you, but others feel differently.
The size is not "massive" nor are they "unwieldy" unless you have small hands.
The overall size of the Max is no larger than an 8+.
As you state, <your> usage doesn’t warrant the larger size. That’s not the usage case for others.

Reactions: biracialfamily91

AlexJoda

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2015
The Max and XR don’t really offer anything to make up for their massive size.

That might be true for the Max but not for the XR. That offers a really big advantage over the XS: Battery life! For me that’s the most important „feature“ of all because a dead phone even with the best features is useless.

Apart from that the XR offers the same resolution in points as the Max which means it shows the same amount of content but it is smaller and cheaper....

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
That might be true for the Max but not for the XR. That offers a really big advantage over the XS: Battery life! For me that’s the most important „feature“ of all because a dead phone even with the best features is useless.

Apart from that the XR offers the same resolution in points as the Max which means it shows the same amount of content but it is smaller and cheaper....

It might show roughly the same content but the resolution isn’t the same - which is one of the reasons the XR has better battery life.
While that doesn’t make much difference in the real world - at least to me - after comparing both for a while, the Max’s resolution is higher.

I also don’t understand the point that was made that these devices don’t make up for their size. The size is one of the key features of these. If I want a smaller phone I can grab an 8 or an Xs any time.

ScreenSavers

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Feb 26, 2016
Bloomingdale, GA
XR seems like the optimal size to me, and wouldn’t want anything bigger. Then again I said that about the 6, and the 5
[doublepost=1565516618][/doublepost]

XR

I wouldn’t consider the XR a “XS Plus”. It’s missing features like 3D Touch, 4GB RAM, OLED, Dual corneas, just to name a few.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yes. I've had a Max since the release, but I think I prefer the 5.8" device. I am leaning toward the smaller phone next time around since I am more often valuing portability. If I need more screen then there's my iPP 11. And if I need even more real estate, I have a 15" MBP, connected to a 27" 5K display.

The 5.8 is more ideal, not to large and not to small. But I agree, if I want something ‘larger’ (As in display ratio for media), then my iPad/laptop trump my iPhone. My iPhone is just merely a means of ‘quick checks’ of emails, weather, news, messages, ect.

Reactions: mcvaughan

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Nope, I personally love it. I had the 8+ in Sept. 2017 and grabbed the X in mid Nov 2017...and simply could not get used to the smaller size! Apple had an extended return program and I just returned the X in early Jan. 2018 - HOPING they would come out with "X Plus", larger size later in 2018. (Obviously they did)

I've been used to the Plus size since 2014 (6+). I will admit when that 6+ arrived and I opened it for the first time, I thought "Whoa...this is larger than I expected!" And it did take some getting used to, especially carrying it in my front jeans pocket- about a week I guess. Now, I just can't go back to a smaller size phone.

Reactions: Tsepz

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
I want to go a little smaller, ideally my 8 plus will be my last larger size variant phone. Once Touch ID returns, I'd be quite happy to drop down to a 5.8" now the battery life gap has been substantially shrunk. Having said that, if the 2020 iPhones really do drop from 5.8 to 5.4 I might have to reconsider my options. Going by the available 16:9 area, 5.8 gives you around 5.0" and 5.4 would give around 4.7". Previously I've had a Lumia 930 which had a 5.0" 16:9 screen, and I thought that was a real sweet spot. I don't know that I would want to go even down to 4.7".

If the size variants do change as rumoured, I might have to look at what compromises the 2020 6.1" OLED has - if it's anything to do with the screen (lower resolution or cheaper off the shelf diamond pentile layout) or if they omit the under screen Touch ID for cost savings that will also be an instant no for me. Sounds like whatever route I go I'm going to have to compromise on something...

I could get a 5.8" "XI" or a XR or "XIR"- but no Touch ID
I could get the 2020 5.4" - but it'd be a little too small at that size
I could get the 2020 6.1" - but I [might] have to compromise on the display quality, and it might not have Touch ID
I could get the 2020 6.7" - but it's no smaller (and possibly even bigger)

sallenthornton

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2014
I don’t know. I prefer the width of the Max, but loved the overall size of the X. I’m enjoying the Max and don’t really have any regrets. My plan is to use the Max until next year and see what’s available.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Not for me. I would get the Xs Max over a X or Xs any day (as i own the 8 Plus which has the same footprint as the Max just to be fair, just with a smaller screen and huge bezels). As soon as you get used to a phone that big and chunky, it's no big deal. It even fits in my pocket. I think that the 8 Plus is still a bit chunkier than the Xs Max, but they do not take much. I've seen the Xs Max at the Apple Store many times and i gotta say - i like the size. Screen on this thing is amazing. Not because of the resolution or display technology itself, but because of the giant 6,5" real estate.

Last edited:

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Sometimes I do feel it’s too big. So then I go and play with an XS in store and while I love the smaller form factor, I hate the smaller screen. I also think back to when I sold my 7+ to get a 7, and 6 months later, I was dying to have a larger screen and battery again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.