Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
Don't get me wrong - I love the antiglare matte screen, but hate the silver bezel...reminds me of the old MBP. The black bezel looks much better and matches with the black keyboard, not to mention 95% of notebooks/displays on the market have black bezels.

I don't get why Apple chose an aluminum bezel for the matte displays. It just doesn't match the rest of the line-up.

Anyone else think they should make the bezel on the matte 17" display black?

evanxlee

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2008
Don't get me wrong - I love the antiglare matte screen, but hate the silver bezel...reminds me of the old MBP. The black bezel looks much better and matches with the black keyboard, not to mention 95% of notebooks/displays on the market have black bezels.

Anyone else think they should make the bezel on the matte 17" display black?

if they did make a matte display with a black bezel, i'd be typing on a 17 inch with that config right now. that'd truly be the best of all worlds.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I'm with you in spirit. My first reaction to the silver bezel on the AG model was that it looked like a tacky afterthought--because that is what it was (an afterthought).

The thing I didn't like was that it wasn't completely silver; it left some black showing on the edges--especially towards the hinge. That is just tacky imo. They just tacked on this bezel--and it shows.

The reason why I liked the looks of the edge-to-edge glass screen with the black bezel was because everything looked like one uniform piece.

The AG model looks like things were thrown together.

However, the AG model has grown on me and I don't mind it as much. I still think the glassy version looks better in terms of aesthetics, but I don't mind the silver bezel.

I will probably still order the AG model for the anti-glare properties of the screen. Utility over aesthetics for me. I will probably hook it up to an external 24'' glossy screen at home--where I can control the lighting so I don't get glare.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Nah, has to stay silver as its the only "pro" model left :p

Personally I like the silver. I think the best two looking unibody models are the 17" matte and MBA, and both have the silver bezel.

I wish the 17" had silver keys also. When the black keys and bezels first came out, I could not get the HP out of my mind. The glassbooks would have looked ackward with glass over a silver bezel (the silver areas would have been very shinny) so I guess they had no choice but to go with black.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Oct 17, 2008
i'm happy with the silver bezel. i think the black is too heavy. and like MH01 I wish the keyboard was silver (white or grey)

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Nope. I like the silver bezel. I think the black bezel looks tacky/plasticky.

If Apple made a unibody 15" MBP with a matter screen and a silver bezel, I'd be first in line.

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2006
I don't care about color, but about functionality!

The only thing I care about is that the bezel is thin, as I'm no using my laptop as something pretty to look at or show off with, but to work. I.e. please make all Apple laptops bezel at least as thin as the 17 inch one. Perhaps make the 17 inch one thinner, so there are more pixels to work with. Then paint it purple, green, pink, I couldn't care less. If anything, please don't add a chunk of heavy glass on top of the display.

UnexpectedHuman

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2009
Europe
I think the silver looks fine (in a retro kind of way).

I suspect that there are two reasons why Apple has not yet released a matte screen for the 13" or 15" models:

- the bezel is so thick it would look immense if in silver
- Apple marketing wants everything to look like an iPhone (including reflectivity, regardless that this is a major problem with a large laptop display...)

Personally, I do not like the edge-to-edge black screens with large hidden bezels. They are a con to hide the fact that the display does not really stretch to the edge of the screen.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Apple marketing wants everything to look like an iPhone (including reflectivity, regardless that this is a major problem with a large laptop display...)

Ding ding ding!

The uMBP design annoys me, but in retrospect, what was around the pike after the Air and the iPhone was inevitable.

What annoys me is that the black bezel on the iPhone is almost unavoidable and if they want to maintain one look across the line, it really locks in a lot of design elements for everything else.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
i'm happy with the silver bezel. i think the black is too heavy. and like MH01 I wish the keyboard was silver (white or grey)

I thought white would look good, but then remembered how many times I have to clean my bluetooth keyboard :(, I thought more of a white bezel/ white keys for the 13" MBPs and keep these at black with a matte option :D

midgetsanchez

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2009
This is what I think is a crude, but fair representation of the bezel size comparison.

The bezel on the 13" is twice as thick as the one on the 17". The thinner bezel on the 17" gives an overall sleek appearance, while it just looks like ugly, wasted space on the 13".

Picture%202.png

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Yes the 17'' Matte would look a lot better with a black bezel - but I cant think why anyone would want a matte screen :confused:

gianthuman

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2009
I think if instead of the black rubber on the hinge and bezel they used the same colour rubber as on the macbook air it would have looked 100% better
overview_hero2_20090608.png

neteng101

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
So the matte screen is a regular old panel, no glass in front?

Why wouldn't they just go with an anti glare coating on top of the glass, and while they're at it, put in the oleophobic stuff from the 3GS too (makes accident fingerprint cleanup a whole lot easier).

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
This is what I think is a crude, but fair representation of the bezel size comparison.

The bezel on the 13" is twice as thick as the one on the 17". The thinner bezel on the 17" gives an overall sleek appearance, while it just looks like ugly, wasted space on the 13".

Picture%202.png

Agreed. No offense to 13" owners, but that bezel is fugly. Thank god the actual screens aren't horrid anymore like they were on the uMB.

redshovel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2007
Ahh, glare?

Yes in some bright situations glare occurs.....but I think that is wiped out by the fact a matte screen in the same situation just looks washed out....and to be honest....a bit old fashioned looking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.