Anyone Else thinking Uni-body iPhones next?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benlee, Oct 16, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

Do you think apple is likely to extend their new notebook manufacturing process to the iPhone?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

v1 iPhone had the aluminum backing and it was a bit heavier than 3G iPhone...:eek:

3. elbirth macrumors 65816

That's an interesting idea and would definitely make it less prone to a wide number of issues, but they've already publicly said the aluminum enclosure hindered the signal. Whether that's true or not is irrelevant- they've said it and it'd look bad for them to suddenly go back to it.
    Also, how could they make it a single piece and still get the electronics inside? Maybe just hollow it out and slide them in from the top/bottom and then put an end cap on it, but I don't know... I guess I don't really consider what they call the "unibody" to really be an actual "unibody" since it still has a top and bottom piece fitted together... it just lacks all the separate structural components.

4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Also note that the iPhone is a much smaller device so any increase in the case size may cause it to be larger or negate some of the savings a next generation iPhone might have. Plus, the iPhone itself is not very flimsy in it's sway so I don't think a unibody chassis would add much to it besides weight and thickness.

5. Peabody macrumors regular

Doubt it. Maybe the theory could carry over to composite materials, but I already find the 3G body plenty stable...

6. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I get great 4-5 bars everywhere with my first generation phone, and I personally think the 3G feels cheaper because it's a lot lighter.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The 3G is not lighter... it weighs about the same... what are you talking about? Have you held both at the same time? I think not.

8. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

Yeaaaaa, I have. I guess it's just the feeling of plastic versus the aluminum that is making me think that. I wasn't comparing the weight when I picked them up, just getting a feel for the 3G before I bought. But I don't know, the 3G just felt cheaper. I thought it was its weight, but I guess it's just the plastic.

I swear I don't do drugs.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, it's thinner and made of plastic, with basically the same guts, it has to be somewhat lighter, no?

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It went from 4.8 oz to 4.7 oz. I suppose it's POSSIBLE you can tell the difference of 0.1 ounces, but I think it's more likely that you're just imagining things. That's not really enough to be obvious.

10. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

That's something, I guess aluminum really is pretty light then. Does the 3G hardware weigh like an ounce or something? It has to be something internally making it nearly the same weight right?

11. kleo macrumors regular

The battery is also slightly smaller.

12. carlgo macrumors 68000

That would be cool. I have been thinking for some time now that cars could also be built this way. And other materials could also be processed this way, like magnesium and perhaps titanium. Maybe even some form of carbon fiber. And other materials like rocks!

Crystals for those that Believe they will actually get reception. Of course, optional gold for those of you living on your own island in Dubai.

13. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I don't know how legit this is, but I just found something that says the BB Storm is 5.5 ounces. Wow.

14. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

I definitely think they will if they find a composite that won't screw with the antenna / reception.

Would be a logical leap to the next gen iphone.

15. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

16. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Next iphone should have a rubberized plastic back like the contour cases.

17. pisces03x macrumors regular

Wouldn't the aluminum mess with the antenna though?

18. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

No.

19. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I would like them to go back and put a plastic strip on it like the touch.

20. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Think about it like this: less chances for cosmetic defects to torture perfectionists like yourself.

21. lambo32490 macrumors newbie

The Future of the iPhone

I think that the next iteration of the iPhone will follow the common aluminum and glass theme. The only issue here is cell reception which Im sure they can easily figure out.

As for features, the new phone will obviously be thinner, and the entire front of the phone should be a touch screen. They should remove the physical home button and make the home button virtual.

Lastly, They need to put an iSight camera right above the earpiece. This would look great AND this would allow them to bring native applications to the iPhone such as Photo Booth and video chatting via iChat would finally become a possibility. Now how cool would that be : )

Let me know if you like my ideas

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Yes. But apparently they didn't take advantage of the plastic anyway since the antenna for the 3G iPhones are the ring around the camera, the bezel around the screen, and the head phone jack. Aluminum wouldn't mess in that case.

23. kleo macrumors regular

You are sadly mistaken my friend. The iPhone 3G communications antennas are on the back bottom portion of the phone (like behind the home button on the back). The GPS antenna is located on the rear top of the phone to the right of the camera lens. If you dont trust me (and why would you) go on ifixit.com and check out the tear-down photos.

PEOPLE!!! stop posting false information. If you dont know thats fine but dont tell other people **** you just make up.

24. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

How can you do a hard reset to the iPhone with no physical buttons?

25. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Not only that, but if you get a badly behaved app that freezes, what's your guarantee that the virtual home button will get you out of it?