Anyone else tired of Transparency?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pharmscott, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

I don't see the appeal. In my opinion, it often makes things harder to read. It's probably wishful thinking that this fad will fade with iOS 9 but I can hope. There is a Windows 7 joke here, but I'll skip it.

What are your thoughts? Love it, hate it, or...?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It looks awful without transparency.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

4. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I hate it and think it's unnecessary. The reasoning Apple gave for using it was that it gives a sense of space or whatever...Either way, it's more distracting than helpful. So I turned it off. Plus, I've noticed devices have slightly better animation with it turned off.

5. afsnyder macrumors 65816

It doesn't make things harder to read for me because the blur is so intense. The only reason I would say to turn it off is if animations are being slow or choppy. I turned it off on my Macbook for that reason but I have no reason on my iPhone.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Don't like it, turn it off. Settings > General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > Reduce Transparency.

----------

The transparency is subtle enough that it doesn't bother me, especially with the gaussian blur to help obscure distractions.

7. Pharmscott thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Well put! I feel so open using the OS now, thank goodness!

To others: I do have it "off" but it's actually "Reduce Transparency." I wish it was truly off!

8. rugmankc Contributor

rugmankc

It is very popular on Androids I have owned, And probably here to stay.

But, I agree it should have an OFF choice--:)

9. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

Apple used transparency to make previous iOS devices struggle with it. Then they easily justify saying that iOS has become resource heavy and all our old hardware does not run smoothly due to it.

Transparency/Translucency is part of Apple's "Planned Obsolescence Strategy"

10. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I turned off transparency to see, I liked the notification center without transparency however I didnt like what having transparency off did to some of the keyboards, it made them look wonky so I turned it back on. I didn't notice my iPhone 6 performing any better with it off.

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

And that's why it can basically be disabled if desired, right?

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Great point. I think thats a little ridiculous to say the point of transparency was to fool people into thinking their older devices were getting slow. I ran iOS8 on my 4S before I got my 6, the transparency did nothing to hinder the performance. It actually ran iOS8 well. :rolleyes:

13. nordique macrumors 6502a

nope, I like it

you can turn it off if you're not a fan - good thing that options exists

14. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Another fan here. I think it looks great. On the new iPhones it doesn't really create lag. I could see it being pretty annoying on older phones though

15. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I actually really really like the translucency. It just looks really beautiful in my opinion.

However I don't like the performance issues it causes. It's almost 100% fine on my iPhone 6 but on my iPad mini 2, there have been issues from the very beginning. Even on iOS 7.1.2. CC and NC still lagged when they were being used on lock screen or over a keyboard. Siri animation has always been a little... Off, as well. Pretty good on home screen, still not perfect though. It struggles most everywhere else, however. Oh, and rotating with the keyboard lags pretty bad if you don't have reduce transparency turned off. It's kinda a mess on A6-A7 iPads. I've heard it's a lot better on the Air 2 but I've never actually used one myself, so. :rolleyes:

16. Coupz macrumors regular

And you know that Apple wants just like any other company that people don't use their devices too long? They want to make money, like everyone on this planet and that's normal.

I'm using Apple products since 2007 and never had problems selling my old devices and buying new ones.

If you don't like the way Apple does its job then try something different where you don't get updates after a year.

17. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Transparency is one of the first things I disable, because it chews up too much energy. Plus NC/CC look like poo with the icons shining through. Double win if you ask me.

Mavericks, same story.

18. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

This. Looks nice but causes some performance issues. :eek:

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

If only reducing transparency also didn't do things like make the dock a plain gray color.

20. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I have just played around with the setting and it doesn't bother me either way. I will stick with transparency because it is just an appearance I am used to.

To the OP: Under what circumstances is it supposed to make things harder to read? Do you mean when you pull up the settings menu or when you try and read the app titles along the bottom bar?

21. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

New World Order: Brave New World.

22. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Dumb question...

Reduce Transparency on my device is off.
    Does that mean transparency is on?

or...to turn off transparency do I turn Reduce Transparency on?

I'm confused...

23. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Reduce Transparency OFF means transparency is ON (which is the default setting).

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you are not reducing transparency (by leaving the setting disabled) then it's in full effect, if you enable the setting then the transparency will be reduced.

25. Xultar macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Thanks. I just gave it a try and ios8 doesn't look as good to me. I'm shocked because I never even really noticed the transparency until it was off.