Anyone else very disappointed with the 650m with 1GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Samjohnson6, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Samjohnson6 macrumors newbie

I was hoping apple would start trying to get some the gaming market... This gpu is a sad choice for a $2000+ laptop and then to only give it 1GB of ram on top of that is insulting. Guess I won't cancel my Alienware m17x order after all...

2. henrikrox, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012

henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Ur asking for a better video card in a thin laptop, when ur saying ur m17x has something better, when it can be used to club someone to death.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

maybe because apple is not interested in making a 4" thick notebook?

4. Martialis macrumors member

Alienwares are also ugly like nothing else. And some of us have jobs, and frankly, I couldn't bear the thought of bringing in a machine that is so garishly ridiculous.

5. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Based on the benchmarks the 650m performs very well in a good number of games. I don't have to have every game set on ultra!

6. omgwut macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

7. Samjohnson6 thread starter macrumors newbie

My point is that it is supposed to be a high performance laptop... I love OSX, I love the design of the MacBook pro, ect. It just seems odd to me that people who aren't in creative media are so eager to fork over so
    Much $$$$ for a laptop that can only surf the web and email in a pretty case. Apple seems to be turning into a company that values form over function, not the best of both

8. Martialis macrumors member

Well, to be fair, a graphics upgrade is one thing I could possibly see myself breaking down and getting in a Macbook Pro... Apple isn't offering that option as far as I can see, however.

From what I've seen of the 650m benchmarks, it looks fine, but you probably could find some people (namely me) who might shell out a little more for an upgrade.

9. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

No, I'm disappointed in the 650m with 512MB. Artificially limiting much?

10. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

So if it isn't a top of the line gaming machine it can only surf the web and email. Learn something new everyday.

11. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

U still dont get why they cant include a better gpu can you?

If they they do, it will become bulkier, heavier, bigger, and loose battery life.
    Thats not what i want from a laptop.

Wtf is the point of a laptop when you cant move it around, like a alienware. If you want good games peformance you shoudnt really consider a laptop to begin with.

12. CapnJackGig, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2012

CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Ahh the expected childish response of the Apple fanboys. Keep making it easier and easier to mock you.

13. Samjohnson6 thread starter macrumors newbie

To everyone who is saying the 650m has decent benchmarks, make sure you aren't looking at the 2GB version, I haven't seen any for the 1gb

14. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

It does a lot more than surf the web and email. Heck, I use my 13" for Premiere and After Effects, I guarantee you there are people who will be taking advantage of the new 15"'s capabilities. Mind you, not everyone is game-oriented. Certain applications are more CPU dependant than GPU.

15. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I am just disappointed that this is bit pricey for me.. I will have to go for 13 inch air.. But overall, today was GREAT day.

16. Martialis macrumors member

I laughed so hard.

17. prism macrumors 6502a

Apparently, the big handicap is if you mate it with DDR3 which creates a bottleneck. With DDR5 (config of the RMBP), things should be zippier!

18. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

yes thank god the used the ddr5 version, its a lot snappier then the ddr3

19. JNL Productions macrumors member

Honestly OP pisses me off. What do you expect from a .71" thick notebook. GT 650M will run every game that's out now, don't complain.

20. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

THere is absolutely no point in having 2GB on a 650M.
    The games that needs more than 1GB, will not run well on a 650m at those settings anyway.

To push over 1GB you need usually something like 8X AA or more, and tons of other settings.

BF3 uses 800MB on high settings on my system (GTX285).
    If i turn it up more than that, i have like 25 fps..

Deus Ex HR uses like 500MB, Borderlands a bit less..

It's a reason why NVidia had 1GB on GTX560Ti and 1.5GB on GTX580, because anything more is usually a waste.

Adding video ram isn't very expensive, and it's mostly a show off to make lowend cards look better.. That's why you see low end laptops with 2GB DDR3 Ram, just so it looks better on paper..

21. therealseebs, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2012

therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

How so? I play video games and had roughly the same response. I like to use Macs for work stuff, but the fact is, if I want to play games and get remotely tolerable performance, I have to get a PC. (Admittedly, I wouldn't get an alienware.)

There are enough people who play games and have macs to attract developers at least some, but the hostility to the people who spend the most money on games can't be helping there.

22. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

If you wanna game, for what it's worth get a windows desktop for gaming and just get a laptop to do your other stuff on...

23. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Well, that's the thing. If I wanted a low-power netbook, I'd get an Air.

What I *want* (but probably won't get from Apple) is a machine where "can actually do what I want it to do" is a higher priority than "even thinner".

----------

This is basically what I've done. Except sometimes I like to go places. So I got a Windows laptop for gaming.

But that means that if I want to go somewhere and do stuff, I have to bring two laptops. Or I have to stop playing games. Or I have to stop using OS X. None of these appeal to me...

24. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Well given the selection we have now it shouldn't be too hard to find one of the notebooks that do what you want. If not there is always window machines. Find what you want/need and go with it.

25. Xcelerate macrumors regular

This is ridiculous. I am upgrading from my 2008 Dell D630 to this laptop. First Mac I've ever owned. I checked the benchmarking scores of my D630's graphics card (NVS Quadro 135m) and it has a score 10-12 times lower than this new Macbook Pro's GPU. And my laptop can do much more than surf the web and email. Which only means that a 10-12 times better processor can do SIGNIFICANTLY more.