Anyone else waiting for an "adapter" to be released?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Appl3FTW, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

that way we can buy third party and slap any traditional wristbands. is 42 a standard width?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

lets see some quality bands first. So far I'm seeing garbage.

3. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

NO. I like the ones they have. I'm just waiting for more colors for the Sports bands. I have had cheap Stainless Steel link bands and really like the apple one.

4. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

I'm really hoping there are adapters, this way I can buy any wristband out in the market now.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Sure, but they currently look like crap, especially with the proprietary connectors Apple is using.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

There will be 3rd party bands that use Apple's design.

The attachment is not electronic and Apple has no way to protect it.

Can Apple stop others from making bands? I do not think so. Apple owns the design and dimensions of the iPhone, but they can't stop anyone from using those details to make cases. Think of all the products like this. No electronic chip, no control.

They'll be crappy bands and they'll be nice bands. Just give it a little time.

7. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

i guess at the end of the day it boils down to what is the quality of the main watch.. this is why im leaning towards SS... it's just right.

8. Cashmonee macrumors 6502a

Cashmonee

Wait. I thought the whole idea of the band interface was this huge revolutionary thing? Now we are trying to take it back to the standard?

I don't think there will be any adapters that don't look awkward. Also, Apple surely has patented the system and will sue any unlicensed bands and accessories out of existence.

9. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

I'm backing the Click Adapter on Kickstarter. It's $25 for the aluminum adapter in finishes that match the watch. That opens up a whole world of options for 22mm watch bands.
    So far I'm planning on the space grey Sport watch with the black sport band from Apple and budgeting another $50 for a brown leather band for dressier occasions. The Apple bands are too expensive especially the link bracelet for $450. I'd rather have two third-party bands for the same price as one Apple band.
    I'd never considered swapping bands on a watch before the Apple Watch. Mainly because I've never been so motivated to have the same watch on my wrist for so much of the time that I'm awake during the day. I have a sport watch and a dress watch now, and I switch between the two regularly but always take my watch off when I come home.
    I think the ideal situation is to buy one adapter for each band so that it can be switched out quickly. If the Apple Watch gets popular I think it would a lot of sense for Apple to sell its own adapters for $29 or have a Apple-certified program for other companies while continuing to sell its own bands. I'm looking forward to seeing new bands come out.

10. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I just do not understand why so many are on the hunt for cheap bands. I am expecting many to get the adapters and then be disappointed with band choices when it comes down to it.

I have the pebble and it takes standard bands. I looked around and realized it just was not worth the trouble to swap out. I cannot even imagine getting a cheap band for my Stainless steel one. And if I had the sport then the apple ones are just fine. (or will be with more colors to pick from)

11. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Getting an adapter isn't only for cheap bands. You have a lot more options available.

12. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I am sure we will see more band options from 3rd party sellers. Just give them time and there will be tons of options.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not sure what being electronic has to do with anything. The shopping cart was patented and it's not electronic either.

14. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

Agreed, I don't get the "why get an adapter then find out you'll be disappointed in the bands" argument, surely the point of an adapter is to provide a universal/almost endless supply of band choices?

15. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

Anyone else waiting for an "adapter" to be released?

I totally get people wanting to get the adaptor to have more band choices as well as purchase inexpensive ones too. I'll be honest,I'm buying a SS 42mm Apple watch with leather band.......and I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable jogging,hiking with a 6.00 adaptor with my 700.00 watch. But that's just me.

16. Mascots, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015

Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

This.

I will be purchasing one (backed Click) along side this watch band ($140!) since Apple does not sell the a brown leather band themselves, and even if they did, I doubt it would match my style since I'm only slightly impressed with their offerings now.

17. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

I'm interested in getting that click myself when it comes out. I figure I'll use it to swap my band out like I had planned with the Sports strap that comes with my watch. Most often I'll have a link band on and I'll change when working out.

18. noobinator macrumors 601

The apple bands are much nicer than anything I've seen created so far and fear this will probably remain true for a long time. The adapters add ugliness as well.

19. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

True. but there are a lot of posters here and on other threads who say they want a $20 Stainless Steel band.

If you want more options I am hoping Apple will consider bringing out new designer bands each year on limited runs. Of course I doubt I personally will want anything other than my SS Link and sports band to swap out at the gym.

20. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

If the adapter isn't visible then it shouldn't matter. I see it just as the pin on a regular watch. It will look exactly like apples bands when it's attached to any other band.

21. Locoboof macrumors 65816

Locoboof

I'm not concerned about aesthetics,but more the build quality. If be a little nervous about my 700.00 watch hanging to my wrist from a 1.09 Chinese knockoff adaptor from ebay.

22. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

There is no doubt I believe that the Apple Link bracelet will be top notch, but I couldn't see spending $450 on a wrist band. I will be picking up the SS with Black Sports band and would certainly love to see a cheaper link bracelet from a 3rd party.

The Black Sports band will probably be my go to and I may get a white sport band as well, a cheaper link bracelet would be a nice if it fits closely to the Apple Design and costs half or a quarter as much.

23. Phillybizzle macrumors regular

Definitely. I have a spare band from a £500 watch that gave up a while back which I'd like to use.

It looks far better than any of Apple's efforts.

24. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I want a brown leather strap similar to this? Do you think it would look good on a space gray sport? I know for sure it will look good on the aluminum sport.