Anyone else waiting for Power Support?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by db0227, Sep 29, 2016.

1. db0227 macrumors regular

db0227

Power Support just posted this to their FB page yesterday. Nothing on their website yet, but it sounds like preorders will open early next week and orders will start getting fulfilled by the end of next week.

[​IMG]

Not gonna lie, the rubber black looks good, and based on their blog post, the material should be a bit more flexible to avoid some of the (literal) pain points from last generation. Here's to hoping the rubber black doesn't attract fingerprints quite as much because I always come back to this case. IMO it's the perfect balance of fit, finish and protection in a very slim and minimal package. I've considered cases like the Caudabe Veil XT, but the Air Jacket has saved me from drops, and paper-thin plastic (0.35mm) would not.

2. dotFIVE macrumors member

dotFIVE

So what's the hype with these over just getting a really thin TPU case for like $10 on Amazon? I feel like it's just the name brand, but I've never used one of these so I'm genuinely curious.

3. parrot5 macrumors 6502

I bought them for my 6 and previous iPhones, and they were thicker hard plastic but wrap up to provide screen protection. They were very hard to remove from the phone though, and this time they say they are improving that aspect.
    They are very unlike any TPU or any 0.5mm $1 hard cases out there: Feel great in the hand, slim, and hug the iPhone perfectly with no flex at all.

Personally, I'm not sure they are very drop-proof, as they don't have a soft rubber/TPU lining.

4. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

I had one for iPhone 5S, then for 6S+. No thanks!

The iPhone 5S was so hard to get on and off, I feared breaking my phone. One time I literally had to pry it so hard it cut underneath my fingernail.

The iPhone 6s+ case was designed with a little cut out to make it a bit better at getting on\off, but just made it look awkward almost like an imperfection. Still was next to impossible to get on\off.

I don't trust the company anymore.... too hard to get them on\off.

I will say their customer service is industry-leading though. If you break it getting it on or off, they replace it no questions asked. I guess that cost is built into the margins, haha.

5. db0227 thread starter macrumors regular

db0227

Yep these are hard polycarbonate, not soft TPU. The fit and finish are second to none and where Power Support really shines. It's unlike anything you will ever get from a TPU case, and per parrot5's comment, it feels great in hand and hugs the iPhone perfectly.

As for protection, it's not drop-test rated or designed for shock absorption, but I have personally had it save me from a handful of falls, including one from waist height onto concrete. The case cracked but my phone escaped without a scratch. The 1.2mm thickness is more than enough for me.

One other note: Get the clear matte or rubber black if you don't like fingerprints and/or seeing dust/debris through the case. They also provide more grip.

I agree. Historically they have been too hard to remove. BUT they claim to have addressed that pain point in the 7 series. Obviously it remains to be seen, but I wouldn't discount them on that alone. The Air Jacket is too good to not consider it just because it has been hard to remove in the past IMO.

6. rperalta macrumors 6502

I really wish Power Support will make them thinner so easier to remove. The other companies found ways to make them thinner and release them sooner BUT Power Support is always late months in the game. If you think about it, they're from Asia and that alone should have a big advantage for them.

7. trife macrumors 6502

trife

Once you learn how to remove them, it's actually pretty simple. You really do have to follow their instructions for removal because they work well.

As far as drop protection, my wife drops her phone regularly and the Air Jacket saved her on MANY occasions. That said, the case did develop some cracks from all the falls, but it never fell apart.

Personally I can't wait for the new Air Jackets. Their clear cases are easily the best out there when it comes to preciseness of the cutouts and quality of materials. Well worth the money.

8. db0227 thread starter macrumors regular

db0227

9. bananataffy macrumors member

I've been using the rubber black cases exclusively since the iPhone 5. The minimalist nature and attention to detail are hard to compete with. I believe their cases are constructed in Japan. They might not be the absolute thinnest in the market, but they are thinner than most others and imo, strike the perfect balance between protection and slimness. I've dropped my 6 Plus probably around 8-10 times on granite/cement, and my case (and phone obviously) has never cracked. I only have a few scuff marks on the corners of the case. The rubbery texture of the black also feels super nice and grippy in the hands.

I also agree with their customer support being top notch. I had a centimeter-long cosmetic crease on my 6 Plus case and they sent me a new one out no questions asked. They didn't even ask me to return the original, so I've had a spare case to use.

Getting my 7 Plus in 2 weeks. If I was in the market for a case, I would probably go Power Support again but now that the Apple upgrade program exists, I've decided to go full-nude for the first time ever. Actually, I'm thinking about just using their clear plastic screen protectors because from experience, those are also some of the best in the market.

10. trife macrumors 6502

trife

Thanks for the pre-order link, OP. Grabbed a clear Air Jacket for the wife and one for me, as well. Also got a Crystal Film. Not bad for $70.xx shipped, given that just 2 cases from the Apple Store ran us $90.

Use code IPHONEDO for 10% off.

11. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

They claimed the same on the iPhone 6 series cases too. And their claim was based on having a corner of plastic missing, which basically looked like your case was broken or defective. There were whole complaint forums about it. LOL

See the lower left in the picture? It looked ABSURD. 51D36t21OpL._SL1000_.jpg

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

In my opinion they are over priced and overrated. There are other cases which are just as good if not better at lower prices. They may not be as thin but they're thin enough and a lot cheaper. Not to mention most have been available either before or soon after the iPhone launch.

13. db0227, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016

db0227 thread starter macrumors regular

db0227

Totally understand the skepticism re: claims that the 7 series will be easier to remove, but I currently have one on my 6s Plus and don't really mind the corner cutout.

Agreed they are a bit overpriced, but disagree that they are overrated. The fit is unmatched and I would argue that you won't find the same combination of fit and finish anywhere else. Cases like the Ringke Slim come close, and they are cheaper, but the cutouts are not precise and I'm not a fan of big lips.

One thing that I COMPLETELY agree with, and the main reason I'm passing on the Air Jacket this year, is the availability. Not shipping until after 10/28 is totally unacceptable.

14. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

I haven't found a better case then the power support fitment is second to none

15. kampongkid macrumors regular

I always wind up with an air jacket on my phone. Like others I can attest that it's saved me from several drops- never damaged my phone.

I'm surprised the rubber black is getting so much love here. Personally found that it takes to moisture too easily. My hands aren't overly clammy either.

My only complaint as how late they always are out the gate. Same lame excuse about not being able to get their hands on the phone soon enough. Never seems to be a problem the competition shares though.

It didn't bother me much and worked as advertised if their directions were followed.

16. db0227, Oct 2, 2016

db0227 thread starter macrumors regular

db0227

This. Not shipping their main case until nearly two months after the keynote is embarrassing. Pass.

Have you found anything that fits like an Air Jacket but feels a bit better in the hand material-wise? Something that doesn't absorb moisture as much?

17. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Too bad you need to remove it once a week to remove all the dust that gets in. And removing it is like ripping the phone in two.

Power Support lost my business with their horrible cases for the 6. Considering the lack of re-design with the 7, I expect the same crappy problems - impossible to remove, dust gets in like crazy.

I have seen on their page they are using a different Polycarbonate material that is more pliable, but I will wait to see it before I believe it.

18. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

I removed it every few months, I work in a shipyard a very horrible environment I had minimal dust/debris in mine

19. MotherFinMike, Oct 2, 2016

MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

Two months? The 7 version ships on the 12th of Oct

20. db0227 thread starter macrumors regular

db0227

Ah, yes, I was taking about the Plus version. Starts shipping after 10/28.

21. kampongkid macrumors regular

I haven't had debris issues on my air jackets either. The full cover or whatever the other model is called (3-piece set with the screen protector included) was a nightmare. The lower half by the home button was convex instead of flush with the surface and picked up lint almost daily. Shame really since I otherwise loved the design of it.

It's just the rubber black in my experience. The other models didn't have that weird texture. Personally always lean towards the clear matte.

22. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

With skepticism I do love the product tho. Maybe give it another shot if they do the frosted one, I dunno. The nice thing is since Apple sells them if I dont like it I can take it back.

23. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

The ones apple sells are a tad different

24. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Yeah never really understood why Apple sells a different one. Weird.

25. MotherFinMike macrumors regular

MotherFinMike

Just got a tracking # for mine