Anyone else want a built in battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by acfusion29, Jan 6, 2009.

1. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Apple announced the built-in battery for the 17" MBP. It holds a charge of 8 hours and allows up to 1000 recharges.

I have never bought a spare battery for a laptop, so I would love to have a built in battery in my MacBook that holds an 8 hour charge.

Who else agrees?

2. mattwrit macrumors member

FANTASTIC IDEA ...if it was on a 15" MBP.

I too have never bought another battery - and I guess it is replaceable by Apple if it was really necessary.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

That's some battery. Although actual usable time will probably be close to 4-5 hours, which is still pretty damn good. I'm worried about how fast they would loose their capacity. 1000 charges does seem a lot compared to the 300 of a standard battery so that should probably make up for it.

I on the other hand would rather see 2 standard batteries since the casing is much larger, it would be able to accommodate 2 hot-swappable batteries so you can always have a charge when changing batteries on the go or use both for extended productivity.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Personally, I wouldn't want a laptop that has a built in battery. Apple's claims it will run 8 hours on the 9400 and 7 hours on the 9600. In real life it will last probably 6 and 5 hours.

5. goldfronts macrumors member

5/6 hours and a 3x lifespan is better than the 4/5 1x lifespan my Macbook has right now

6. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Yeah, but you can easily buy a new battery for $100 or less and switch it out within seconds which will give you a lot more time running on battery power without plugging it in an outlet. I travel a lot and I need that option which is why I have a second battery. I still don't like the non-removable battery, but to each their own.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I would like to see Silver-Zinc replaceable batteries...

Yeah, this non-removable battery deal will definitely be an interesting decision for Apple. We'll see how it plays out...

8. goldfronts macrumors member

Very true - the non-removable aspect really kills it for me

9. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Built in or not, I would never replace it as I have never needed more than a few hours on battery. I mean, how long can a man spend in the bathroom? :D

10. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

lol, glad I ain't the only one that does that! :eek:

Anywhere that I take my laptop, I have power. I take my laptop to school everyday, and each desk has 4 seats and 4 power outlets and 4 Ethernet ports for each table.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Well not everyone is as fortunate as you.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

What if you have a defective battery? You're screwed! You have to send in your laptop, or go to an Apple Store. I'd hate to go at least a week without my MB...

13. goldfronts macrumors member

I'm sure they'll be implementing some kind of replacement plan where you schedule an appointment and have your battery replaced that day at an Apple Store

14. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Oh c'mon... there's like 10 screws to take off the cover and replace the battery. It appears to be held down by a few screws. Your telling me you wouldn't be able to replace that yourself if Apple sent you a battery?

:confused:

Attached Files:

15. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

This update wouldn't bother me at all. I've never needed to use my Macbook Pro for that long where I couldn't connect to a power source.

I can see how this will bother people that are always on the road. But then again, they usually have access to a power source also.

16. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

If they allow you to do that, then it wouldn't be too much trouble, but I have a feeling they might not...

Yeah but if you don't have an Apple Store close by it would suck..

17. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I wouldnt mind it either. I mean I usually get a new computer before the battery is dead any ways. So it would be awesome to get more battery life (even though I have a plug every where I go).
    Would be a nice feature to have. Though I can see the down side to those who need a removable battery...

18. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

People we need official Apple external batteries, someone needs to petition Steve :p

19. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

It's not just about whether or not you need to an authorized repairman to change your battery. It's also about being able to swap a 2nd battery on the spot when the juice run out on the 1st one, during travel for example.

20. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I'm not to sure if I like the idea of a built in battery, it has it pro's and con's. I guess it really depends on the person and what they use the notebook for. some of the posts I have been reading are really against the built in battery. I like the idea of having a extra battery when on the go, but most of the time my computer never leaves the couch, but I do use it on the throne a few times a week, (but there's a outlet in there also :D ) But look at the big stink people said about the iPhone "Can't replace Battery" everyone bitched but still bought the phone, now you don't here to much about it anymore, I think Apple knows what there doing, At least I hope!

21. acfusion29 thread starter macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Only 1 extra? Well the new battery basically gives you the life of 2 regular MacBook batteries.

22. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

If I could buy that battery for my Macbook I would be all over that!

23. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

If I were on the Apple Design team, I think this would work out to be a better option ;)

2 Battery bays and also the HDD is more centralized which defiantly helps if you drop this heavy"ier" laptop as you move it away from the corner and possibly balances the MBP too.

Attached Files:

24. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

That would be pretty cool dual batteries! Would they discharge separate or together, or both? maybe you Apple should hire you!

25. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Like I said way up there ^. They would be hot swappable so you can run one(weight savings) or both for longer capacity.

Oh and since Stevie is so hopped about how many screws are visible, I have an idea(which I should patent:p btw) which would eliminate all visible screws and still be able to allow quick access to the entire bottom of the laptop.

dreams :eek: