Anyone else warming up to the yellow tint?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hello..., Mar 19, 2012.

1. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I decided to keep my light yellow tint iPad instead of returning it.
    Has anyone else warmed up the idea of keeping it instead of returning it?
    Mine might not be as severe as some but it still has the Yellow tint.

2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

ReallyBigFeet

3. Hello... thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello...

Be nice...lol

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

If it's mild, you do get used to it. I lived with a slight yellow cast on a 3GS for a year. if people have both iPhone and iPad I can see how it would be annoying if they were different though.

5. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

No disrespect, but I'd wish people would stop calling it yellow tint, it is "natural tint" displaying colors and whites just like they should be.

People misperceptions of what they view as white are due to wrongly calibrated and low quality TV screens and computer monitors that the general public is used to their entire lives.

Wake up, people. Wake up. You are in the matrix and you don't even know the real world around you. For the first time ever, your eyes are seeing what is real. You just have to accept it or continue to live in your fantasy world.

Wake up!

6. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

Honestly people, you are obsessing.

Personally, it seems like there are a few bad apples (pun intended) when it comes to the first batch of ipad 3s. Again I say a few, and these are very yellow.

Everyone else...the ipad3 looks to have a warmer screen than previous generations. A warmer screen will give a white background a red/yellowish tent...compared to a blueish tint seen in a cool screen. There is also a difference in blacks, where a warmer screen tends have a more grey black, while a cooler screen has a more purple black. Either extreme can look bad, but the ipad3 is not warmer to an extreme. Honestly, I believe the warmer screen is the results of the increased contrast of colors...which is a great.

If you obsess about this....you are going to see a yellow tent that is not there...

7. taipan61 macrumors 6502

yellow is the new white?
    everyones perception of color is different, if you're not happy about (the tint) trade if for a new one or see if it goes away as apple says it's the glue (again...shades of backlightgate!...lol)

8. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Yeah... no. It's definitely yellow: http://cdn.overclock.net/d/da/499x374px-LL-dafdc004_3a507fc1_third-gen_ipad_yellow_tinted_display_2.jpeg

White should be white, like a piece of paper -- not like a beige piece of paper. (iPad 2 on left, 3 on right.)

9. zosobao5150 macrumors member

I am not sure I would be warming up to a yellow tint. I would take it back. If you have an apple store nearby, take it there and compare it to some of the display units.

Having said that, most people have no idea what a properly calibrated screen looks like....it certainly isn't blindingly bright nor does it have a blue cast.

I have calibrated many friends computer monitors and I have often heard them say that it now has more 'yellow in it.' Most people are used to a 'colder' screen hue and have accepted that as a proper color representation.

Good luck!

10. 314631 macrumors 6502a

Yellow tint just adds to the magical experience of iPad 3. I don't understand why anyone would return one of these incredible devices. Enjoy the iPad 3 quit whining about what you perceive as minor imperfections.

11. Philrollett macrumors newbie

If that's the correct how come the very top of my screen has a slightly yellower tint to the rest of my screen? Surely it should all be equal

12. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I can tell a difference between my iPad 2's and 3's display. The iPad 2 is much much cooler than the 3. Honestly, I like the warmer 3 display a lot more. It's a lot easier on the eyes.

13. Hello... thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello...

I still prefer at the blue white however I am afraid that I might get something worse than this

14. Mshilling macrumors regular

You sleep in a tent

tint (tɪnt)

— n
    1. a shade of a colour, esp a pale one
    2. a colour that is softened or desaturated by the addition of white

tent

tent 1 (tɛnt)

— n
    1. a. a portable shelter of canvas, plastic, or other waterproof material supported on poles and fastened to the ground by pegs and ropes

15. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Wirelessly posted (Iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Contrary to what you may think, there is a wide variation between ipad3 displays. I had two iPad 3s. The first one, an AT&T (not that the carrier has anything to do with it), was noticeably yellow, especially at the top of the screen on safari where the gray title bar appeared almost a greenish gray. It was noticeable on its own, without another iPad or iPhone as a comparison. At first I thought I may just have the brightness too low, but then I did compare it to another iPad 3 and it was even more stark of a difference. I'm not claiming that there is anything wrong with a warmer screen, it's a personal preference. But to say that the iPad 3 is a warmer display and a more true representation of colors is simply not true.

16. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Ah, theres always one fanboy.

17. Hello... thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello...

There is always more than one fanboy.

18. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

19. Fuchal macrumors 68020

The fact that everything is yellow in that photo except the iPad 2 leads me to believe the iPad 2 is not white, but instead, excessively blue.

You can't take an accurate photo of iPad displays unless you also include a REAL white point in the photograph, such as a white piece of paper.

20. NashMan2 macrumors regular

No yellow tint. If anything, when side by side with my iPad2 the new one is whiter.

21. smacman macrumors 6502

I think I have owned every single iDevice over the years. Some with yellowish screens, some with blueish screens, and some with neutral screens. The one thing I noticed is that the yellowish ones always had the most vibrant eye popping colours. Just thinking of the bright side...

22. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

That's possible, I suppose. But considering the iPhone 4 (and the 4S somewhat) suffered from a yellow tint, it's not unlikely that you'll find some yellow displays.

23. zosobao5150 macrumors member

The only way to properly take an accurate photo of the display is by using an accurate gray card. Using a white piece of paper is not an accurate method to determine color temperature. Photographers use gray cards all the time. It really helps reduce processing time for accurate colors.

24. johndoe588 macrumors regular

The "tint" of my screen doesn't bother me, but that its different across the screen does. Guess I'm going to head to an apple store tonight and compare to some display models.

25. johnc22 macrumors 6502

Exactly.