Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KOTULCN

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2012
I'm on my second ipad Mini retina and iOS stutters a lot, crashes if I have more than a couple apps running, etc. I've restored, turned on reduce motion but it still just seems really slow. I understand it could be apps that aren't written to 64bit yet but it's just crazy how slow it is. I'm really thinking Apple should have bumped up ram. Anyone else feel the same way?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
I'm on my second ipad Mini retina and iOS stutters a lot, crashes if I have more than a couple apps running, etc. I've restored, turned on reduce motion but it still just seems really slow. I understand it could be apps that aren't written to 64bit yet but it's just crazy how slow it is. I'm really thinking Apple should have bumped up ram. Anyone else feel the same way?

No, only u ;)

Search would indicate plenty of folks just fyi

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012

You are not the only one. Buying a 3rd iPad mini retina will not solve the problem. This is a problem everyone has been having including iPad air and iPhone 5S owners. However, Apple is obviously aware of the problem.

As others have pointed out in other threads, its more of an OS problem than a RAM problem. Even if Apple increased the RAM to 2gb, the problems would still come up. That is why iPhone 5, iPad 4 and even users of the original iPad mini (with only 514mb ram) are having less problems. Apple didn't correctly optimize ios 7 for 64 bit.

All is not lost though. Users of the iOS 7.1 beta are already reporting major improvements. The official release of 7.1 is rumored for March, so Apple still has plenty of time to improve things even more.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
There are other thread about the matter ...
Btw the answer is YES, Apple wasn't very generous in the choice to install only 1 Gb in their latest release of iDevices (iPhone 5S, rMini and Air).
But most of the problems are caused by a not yet refined iOS 7 - 64 bit.

Tjosansa

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2013
And you know it is the ram?
I belive ios7 got a few problems still.. i wouldnt blame it on ram.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

It's a problem with RAM leakage in IOS7 for the A7. Hopefully, the next rev of IOS7 fixes the problems.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Does iOS 7 allowing caching or paging using virtual memory? Due to the RAM limitations I'd expect Apple to use something like this to prevent tabs in Safari tabs from reloading. I'm no expert that is why I'm asking.

macfacts

macrumors 603
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Does iOS 7 allowing caching or paging using virtual memory? Due to the RAM limitations I'd expect Apple to use something like this to prevent tabs in Safari tabs from reloading. I'm no expert that is why I'm asking.

No virtual memory aka swap space. It would likely wear out the flash storage faster.

clarkw

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2014
I got my new iPad mini2 (16G wifi with 7.0.4 preinstalled) on Jan 14. It constantly crashes and reboots. I've tried reseting the iPad both from iPad itself and from the iTunes application but the problem is still there.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Returned my iPad Air crashing machine. Returned my 2012 Mini with HDMI issues. Returned my 2010 15" MBP with bad mobo. Only keeper is my 2010 13 MBA! One out of four not bad! :rolleyes:

You gotta know when to hold, and when to fold!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm pleased with my rMini. It does everything I want it too, surfing, reading, my karate notes within a FileMaker database, Numbers spreadhsheet. I really have zero complaints.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Mine has crashed out of Safari like twice from the day I purchased it and I use Safari about 95% of the time. It has performed beyond my expectations.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
I understand it could be apps that aren't written to 64bit yet but it's just crazy how slow it is. I'm really thinking Apple should have bumped up ram. Anyone else feel the same way?

Making apps 64bit will consume more RAM... So, this can only get worse from a RAM perspective. Once developers recompile their apps and games to 64 bit, there will be even less free RAM available.

I think most of the Apple's own standard apps and background services are of course already 64bit, as shown by AnandTech, but it also means that there is a regression in terms of available free RAM on these new A7 devices, compared to previous generation.

When Apple bumps the RAM to 2 GB later this year, developers will target this new spec, and I think many of them don't want to bother with dealing with 1 GB of RAM anymore. Bad for current owners, but all according to Apple's obsolescence plan.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
The iPad Air and Retina Mini are the iPad 3's of 2013! Both held back by a lack of ram the way iPad 3 had a lack of CPU power. The next generations will be better- which should come soon hopefully.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
It's not a lack of RAM, so much as iOS 7 needs a ton of work. Fortunately, they can fix that. If they want... Eventually.. :rolleyes:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
The iPad Air and Retina Mini are the iPad 3's of 2013! Both held back by a lack of ram the way iPad 3 had a lack of CPU power. The next generations will be better- which should come soon hopefully.

I wish people would stop spouting this.

It doesn't need more ram. It needs better memory management. Heck, there's onboard flash storage, so Apple could even start using virtual memory (just do it invisibly to the user).

1GB is perfectly adequate for a tablet. I don't have any complaints about my rMini, but then again, I don't have any need to have 20 safari tabs open at once. This is quite evident by the fact that apps like GarageBand work well - it's *not* a hardware thing.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
i think im disappointed in apple-they put barley any ram in any of there ios devices and they can be slow especially gaming. some phones have like 4gb of ram but then u look at apples products which have only 1gb???

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
i think im disappointed in apple-they put barley any ram in any of there ios devices and they can be slow especially gaming. some phones have like 4gb of ram but then u look at apples products which have only 1gb???

Other devices advertise based on specs. People see 4GB RAM and say "WOW Look". Get one of those phones with 4GB of ram and put it next to an iPhone 5s. I bet the 5S is faster.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Other devices advertise based on specs. People see 4GB RAM and say "WOW Look". Get one of those phones with 4GB of ram and put it next to an iPhone 5s. I bet the 5S is faster.

sometimes-and i do prefer iphone but apple needs to keep up and have the latest and greatest starting with a higher ppi screen.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
There are other thread about the matter ...
Btw the answer is YES, Apple wasn't very generous in the choice to install only 1 Gb in their latest release of iDevices (iPhone 5S, rMini and Air).
But most of the problems are caused by a not yet refined iOS 7 - 64 bit.

Correct. the 64-bit thing is turn about to be a little trickier than Apple thought. My iPad Air reboots about 2-3 times a week, my iPhone 5 never. Both use iOS 7 and have 1GB RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.