Anyone else's RMBP creaky when typing on your lap or desk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hopsdaballa04, Jun 22, 2012.

1. kwakj macrumors newbie

mine produces a very noticeable creak on the left palm rest whenever i lay my hand on it, or move it for that matter. Sounds like metal on metal.

Still debating whether it's worth going to the genius bar to have the screws tightened, or potentially just returning it for refund/exchange.

I'm very OCD, so I know the sound is going to bother me for the life of the machine.

2. Acidsplat macrumors regular

I actually returned mine, however I think mine was much more severe because I would barely bump it or move it and hear a great amount of creaking.

I mainly returned it because after a horrible experience buying it at Best Buy and having me pay more than I was meant to even after talking to the manager, I thought I wouldn't put it past them that they could have dropped it or something. (Obviously not the case if there are other people with creaking parts.)

I'd rather wait to get it from Apple after that.

3. Hopsdaballa04 thread starter macrumors regular

I received my replacement RMBP today. They must have expedited the replacement process for me. This machine is solid and doesn't have the creaking issue. It is a keeper!!

----------

If you're OCD, I would have them tighten the screws. I am also OCD and I know I always cave and either go to the genius bar or ask for a replacement. There is no reason to postpone the inevitable.

4. korbearus10 macrumors member

Sadly, I'm starting to notice this. I would describe it as a click noise. I randomly heard it in the last few days, but experienced it more frequently when the laptop was sitting on my lap. I hope tightening the pentalobe screw will help.

5. tomtom2234 macrumors member

Watch out sitting that thing on your lap, it can get pretty hot when its not on proper surface!.

6. PhaserFuzz macrumors 6502

I notice an occasional click sound on the left side. It's only when I pick it up while it's opened though. I'm not too worried about it.

7. iViking macrumors 6502

Mine creaks too. It is similar to the 13" MBA I had. Back then I exchanged it for the 11" because it was bothersome.

As for the pressure mark issue--what is that? I ask because I have a bit of a darker area along the lower left side of the display. It's faint, but noticeable.

8. Cuesca macrumors member

Cuesca

Same problem here, I am probably going to return it. Maybe I should wait a bit and let Apple sort out the bugs next time.

9. Hopsdaballa04 thread starter macrumors regular

The pressure mark can be seen when there is a light background. It will look like a cluster of bright pixels. However it is caused by pressure on the screen. If you research on here you can find a few pictures of it.

10. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

I have this as well from the right side near the air vent.

I have heard it 3 times now in a week when ive lifted my machine. I can make it happen all the time if I rub my thumb over the bottom of the machine, towards the right airvent.

I'm probably going to take it to the Apple store for them to take a look at it.

11. iViking macrumors 6502

Did you bring it in? If so, what did they say?

12. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

It hasnt done it since I posted that message! I'll leave it for now.

13. bayol05 macrumors regular

bayol05

I just had the same issue with a brand new Retina MBP I received a few days ago. Every little touch I would place on the MBP caused a creaking sound as if the case was loose. It felt like a cheap PC. I brought it into the Genius Bar an hour ago, they took it in the back to the repair guys and came back 10 minutes later with a SOLID MBP. Feels like a completely different machine. He said they just "adjusted it" and probably tightened some screws. I asked him if they'd seen that with any more of the Retina MBPs and he said there had been quite a few. Finally this thing feels like a MacBook Pro that Steve would approve of...

14. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Interesting that he said there had been quite a few. Hopefully these little hiccups will be non-existent by the time I get around to buying one.

15. Rajpdx macrumors regular

Nobody else has put their RMBP on my lap yet and started typing.

If they did though I'm sure there would be creaking :eek:

16. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Great :) I have an appointment for Friday, hopefully get it sorted out

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Don't quit your day job!!

----------

On another note, mine creaked too [ around the right speaker ], the POS Magsafe 2 and the lag was bugging the hell out of me.. so back it went!

Ordered the HR + AG 15" cMBP and all is well !! :)

18. dekka007 macrumors member

When its fixed can you ask them exactly what they did or what they tightened?

19. town3r macrumors newbie

town3r

I'm also having the creaky cracking sound :( I'll be taking it in to see if the screws need to be tightened. Sadly i also noticed that i have one dead pixel on my screen too. other than those two things i love this thing!

20. jamets515 macrumors regular

Had the same issue with mine. Found this thread last night, booked a genius appointment and went today. The guy took the bottom cover off, re aligned it and put the pentalobes on at the right torque.

So far so good but it was a couple of days before I first noticed it. If it starts again I'll get a new one. Interestingly the bottom cover doesn't look as though it fits properly. It is slightly convex from front to back, as though it is slightly larger than the rest of the case. Even though the screws are all tight, right between the middle screws and the air vents either side, it sticks out and can easily be squashed back in line with the case but won't stay in that position.

We compared it to some other rMBP's on the sales floor and they all looked perfect. He told me an exchange couldn't be done in store as it was an online order. Does that sound right? I've not bought online before so I'm not sure.

He also encouraged me to exchange it if it bothers me as it's such an expensive machine.

21. sk8r1230 macrumors 6502

sk8r1230

Yes online orders must be shipped back to apple. No in store return

22. Jiten macrumors 6502a

Jiten

Got me worried for a while. Did some testing and thankfully no creaks here.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Hopefully these don't end with more expanding batteries.

24. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Well guys, I brought mine in to a genius yesterday. He asked me what I wanted them to do and I said well, people in this thread say that if you take the back off, reseat the cover, and tighten the screws again carefully, it will fix it.

15mins later and I have my rMBP back. Took it home and the creaking has stopped :)

So, if you have this annoying creaking noise, just book an appointment and take it in. You'll get it fixed within a few minutes. :)

25. WhyJay macrumors member

I have a similar problem, but I don't know if it's to the extent that everyone is talking about. I just noticed it yesterday when I was lifting it up by the bottom left palm area with one hand (while open). I heard this "click" noise, sort of like when you press the touchpad in. The noise was much weaker than the touchpad click, but sounded very similar.

I managed to replicate the sound by pressing around various areas of the left palm area, left of the touchpad. It requires decent pressure, and the point of pressure changes every time the noise is produced. I don't know what to make of it, or if I should even bring it in for such a petty problem. :confused:

Also, I bought this MBPR at a Best Buy. I'm still fully-covered at the Genius Bar, right?

EDIT: After looking at a picture of the stripped down MBPR, I think the noise could be coming from the batteries (specifically the 2nd battery from the left, of the 6). The "points of pressure" I mentioned seem to be the top and bottom of the battery. So I press the top part, it clicks, then I pressed the bottom part, it clicks. So I'm guessing it's VERY slightly loose and it's just moving when I press down.