Anyone else's RMBP creaky when typing on your lap or desk?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hopsdaballa04, Jun 22, 2012.

1. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

Just wanted to update this thread - Ever since I took the MBP back into Apple it's been fine. Whatever they did has fixed it for good.

2. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

I'm not sure if this thread is still active, but I'm really glad to hear that the issue was easily resolved. I have only had mine a few days and the click is becoming bothersome. But as my display is gorgeous, with no ghosting, dead pixels, etc, I was reluctant to have to replace the machine, and take my chances with the screen having issues (far worse, IMO, than a little occasional clicking sound). To the genius bar tomorrow or the next day... :)

3. psynnott macrumors 6502

psynnott

I would definitely recommend taking it to an Apple store and getting them to reseat the cover. It worked for me and couldn't be happier now :)

4. KimHansenDK macrumors 6502

I also had my cover reseated at the Apple Store and the guy also tightened the screw near the speaker. It seemed to cause the creaking noise.

So I also recommend taking it to an Apple Store.

5. cms2 macrumors 6502

cms2

Just wanted to follow up; I went to the Apple store today, and though the Genius seemed kind of put out or annoyed with my request, he reseated the case, and now no more clicking! I'm so glad I went and got this taken care of.

6. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Glad he took care of it... Makes me wanna punch those stuck up *Geniuses* :mad:

7. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Mine was creaky on the right side when I lifted it - I reseated that screw and it's totally silent now.

8. angelus512 macrumors member

My first rMBP had creaks and it was an LG screen with faint IR.

I sent it back and got a Samsung screened one and to add to the love......no creaks at all. Solid and silent build.

Although it does start up 2-3 seconds slower than the old one. Going to geekbench it tonight.

My LG one had I think 12,000 on 64bit geekbench

base model.

9. gv23 macrumors newbie

10. martingibb macrumors newbie

ok, so having read this thread, the noise that my rMBP was making (discovered by my friend) made a lot more sense. Took it into Apple Store today and the genius couldn't believe it, he's ordered new one for me, being delivered to store...fingers crossed for no more creaking

11. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

This is similar to me! I just ordered the screw driver recently so hopefully this will work out for me also!

Did you unscrew it and then take off the plate and then rescrew it or did you just screw in that section.

12. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

Good question. I would like know as well. Did you guys just tighten the suspect areas or you had to unscrew some or all the screws?

13. boto macrumors 6502

boto

You gotta retorque all of the screws to eliminate the creaking noise. Make sure you star with the upper side with the Macbook Pro logo and move down from there. Also, don't tighten the screws until you place them all first.

14. iescobar macrumors newbie

Fixed quite easily

After noticing my Retina Macbook pro squeaked pretty badly, and living in Mexico City (no Apple Geniuses, only Official Distributors and some repair centers) and following the advise of this forum, I purchased the Pro Tech Toolkit from Ifixit. After 3 days when it arrived I got out the 5 Pentalobe driver and Identified quite easily the screw that made the noise. For me it was the upper right hand corner screw, near the screen. Carefully I took out the screw, alligned it and torqued it again, quick and easy and the notebook changed to a sturdy solid perfect Macbook pro, only one screw out and everything perfect.

I strongly recommend anyone out there with the problem, to get a pentalobe driver and tighten screws (remove and retorque). You never know what and how will your "Geniuses" do with the machine when they take it back in the store (scratches etc). So if you can do it yourself, better do it.

cheers
    thanks for the great advise.

15. adrian-cg macrumors member

Ordering the screwdrivers and doing this myself won't void the warranty right? I also live in mexico and this worries me!

16. SchuettS macrumors 6502

So your saying the screen made a difference in speed and noises?! I personally think this screen stuff has gone too far. Haha

17. kirky1234 macrumors member

Just wanted to report: I went to the Apple store today. The "genius" called it "complaining on a high level" and said he could retighten the screws but that could also make it worse. I let him retighten them and checked if the creaking was still there when I was at home. Seems it's gone... I will report in a week if it reapeared or if the issues is definitely fixed.

Since I'm already here: Anyone else's trackpad making a different kind of sound in the two bottom corners? Mine is making a strong loud sound at the bottom right and a rather soft one at the bottom left. Clicking feels also softer at the bottom left. This really is "complaining on a high level" but asking doesn't hurt...

18. ninja2000 macrumors 6502

I bought one of the 1.2mm pentalobe screwdrivers from ebay. I noticed there was a lot of play as the screw head is actually imperial and about 1.27mm.
    When trying to tighten the driver started damaging the screw head so I have stopped.

How has everyone else found the ebay screwdriver?

Is the ifixit version a good fit?

thanks in advance

19. ducatiti, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

I had a Genius reseat and tightened my pentalobe screws. Creaking went away BUT the head of the screws looked stripped and rounded. It bothered me so much considering it's a brand new system with stripped screws. I decided to return it wait a while or at least for the next refresh. Just got tired of this LCD Lottery, return game, etc.

[​IMG]

20. Seany92 macrumors newbie

getting my new rmbp thursday. Have slight creek on the right side on mine near the middle screw. Praying for a samsung screen with no issues do no feel like going though loads of rmbps for a working one.

21. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I have this issue. Doesn't really bother me much anymore, but I may take it into the Genius Bar when I have time.

22. rudy44 macrumors member

mine used to creak whenever i lifted the macbook. i took mine down to a service centre and after the technicians reseated it, the bulk of the creaking went away. it still creaks when i press on the bottom cover hard enough. but most of it is gone now.

23. StefanYFC macrumors member

I took mine in for service because the creaking was killing me. They ended up replacing the whole top case (which includes a new battery as well) and the creaking is completely gone. I had several types of creaking, where I rested my palms, if I lifted or adjusted it, if I pressed on the aluminum above the keyboard, or if I moved my display. Just felt like everything inside was rubbing.

They also fixed a few minor issues I had that I didn't even tell them about, my trackpad sounded like it made a crack before it clicked sometimes, thats gone and my backspace key used to squeak when press on the left side, that gone as well.

24. jtweezy19 macrumors newbie

This is exactly what they did for me. I think it was the battery not being glued properly to the underside of the top case. FYI, the top case comes (from the manufacturer) with the battery and keyboard attached. I can only assume the trackpad as well (since it's between the battery and top case), so that might be why you're experiencing a better trackpad click and backspace button. My trackpad seems to be quieter now (good) and my keyboard keys are firmer (also good).