Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Mine has done that a couple of times max and didn't really do it for the first few years of ownership. Not a big deal to me, although it's probably an easy fix.

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
Mine did that on my 06 what I did is put some silicone lube spray on a rag the applied it to the door problem solved

jdryyz

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
I am having this particular problem too. Nothing to do with the optical drive tray as it still happens with the drive cage removed. I tried loosening the screw securing the door assembly (see attached). At first it seemed to work but then after a couple of ejects, it got stuck. I even totally removed the screw and jiggled around the assembly. Top tray still sticks. Not entirely sure where this stickiness is happening either since I cannot get a good look at it. Lube did not help in my case.

Incidentally, is the door assembly a removable part? I cannot see how the side opposite the front screw attaches.

EDIT -- I see now that the reason it was still sticking after removing the screw was due to the assembly getting misaligned from the screw hole. I lined it up again then worked the door open and closed and it was not sticking!! Light bulb! I will place a couple of thin washers behind the tab and secure the screw back. Seems to be working every time now! There is now visible gap on the right hand side of the door between the door on the case.

So...slight design flaw, eh? I assume it is the same in the last (2012?) cMP model.

This excerpt was taken from Apple Discussion Forums:

"I've seen quite a few threads popping up in here with regard to the fact that a great many brand-new Mac Pros suffer from a problem where the door/cover for the upper optical drive does not spring shut after the drive is closed.

Our new Mac Pro suffered from this problem, and with a bit of investigation, I believe I've found a very safe, simple, and completely reliable fix for the issue, so I thought I'd post my solution here in the hopes it will help others.

No bending, pushing, or mangling of any sort is required for this fix; it's really incredibly simple:

• open the case and remove the optical drive caddy. Do this by pulling it straight toward you. A small amount of force might be needed if this is the first time you've done it, but eventually the entire aluminium enclosure which holds the drives should slide out.

• with the drives removed, you'll be able to see the door/cover assembly. Just inside the opening of the case near the opening for the top drive, you'll see a Phillips (star) screw. Loosen this screw just a bit - in my case, all that was needed was about 1/8 of a turn.

• verify that this fixes the sticking problem with the drive door/cover by manually wiggling it up and down.

• tighten the screw to the point where you're not worried it might work itself loose on its own, but not so tight that it causes the door/cover to begin sticking again.

• replace the drive enclosure, close the case up, and you're done!!

I'm guessing they use a powered screw-driver when assembling that part of the case, and that the screw just gets over-tightened in the process, but then again.. who cares how it happens, so long as it can be fixed!?

Hope this helps.."

URL to Apple Forum:
http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=696420

For some reason my door stopped sticking and I haven't really had a problem since posting this original message but, I hope this hint that another user came up with works for the rest of you guys! Cool!

Attachments

• optical doors.jpg
    optical doors.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 247
  • door gap.jpg
    door gap.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 249
Last edited:

basilt

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2016
i managred to solve this tonight, not sure if you are left with no solution yet.
You need a good led light, small to hold in the area behind door mechanism and observe the gears.
Without the light you have no good chance fixing this issue.

you must remove door screws that hold the metal slider innto place, remove also 1 screw that holds the drive doors into place.

then remove the 2 aluminium door panel pieces from plastic.

pay attention to the notches/ gear teeth of the doors, when door is open, you should not see any gear extending out of the plastic mechanism.

compare the two doors 'gear teeth/ notches' if you notice carefuly you will find the defective one.
If i.e one door does not close (has gap/ inclination) then pull the plastic cover part,
close to the problematic gear spot, away (outwards) gently with your hands and slide the top plastic rail/ slider to i.e right or left, depending whhich side you see the gear protruding, so the
mechanism jumps to the right possition, over the right gear teeth, then is aligned ok.

then apply some lubricating oil, or clear one used for guns or shaving devices, and move the doors back and forth so the plastic top and bottom rail is lubricated and clean of dusty parts.

will work guaranteed. It took me 40 minutes to sort this out thanks to my led light... and patience puting back the pieces, but worked and my door is sliding as new !

Last edited:

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
My top SuperDrive door seems to get stuck sometimes. It's a pretty tight fit compared to the drive door on the G5 at work. Anyone else have any problems with the Mac Pro drive doors?
it happens at time. Just use your finger tips and lift it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.