Anyone ever cried to a film (avoid spoilers)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by shenfrey, Mar 1, 2014.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

I rarely cry, in fact since last night I can't remember the last time I cried, people use to think I was weird for it. I am 25 year old male. However last night I wanted to see what all the fuss about the notebook was like, and so I decided to settle down with my girlfriend and watch it. By the end of it, I was balling, so much that I literally had to slap myself out of it, embarrassing! Amazing what films/television can make you feel.

Has anyone else had similar experiences?

2. Ann P macrumors 68020

Hmm don't recall crying when I watched The Notebook, but I cried at the end of Toy Story 3. :eek:

3. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Trying to play it cool at the end of Toy Story 3 was hard :p

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not much of a crier but Brian's Song had me blubbering when I re-watched it 2 weeks ago. Hadn't seen it since I was a kid and I remember both my parents crying when it aired.

5. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

tv shows have gotten me, burn notice and criminal minds.

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You write this as if expressing emotions is abnormal.

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I cried the first time I saw ET go home to his planet.

I was five.

8. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I cry tears of real pain anytime I see that there is another film by either ~Adam Sandler~Jennifer Aniston.:p

9. Huntn, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2014

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Lol.

I've had shivers of emotions run through me like when I watched Victor Laslo elicit the band to play the Marseillaise to drown out the Germans and everyone in Rick's cafe starts singing. To me that's a powerful moment. Or great cinematographic moments such as when a Nasgoul descends upon Minas Tirith to wreak havoc and destruction and when Legolas takes down a Mumakil single handedly. I'm a little uncomfortable admitting I shed a tear of emotion in Toy Story 2 when Jessey gets left by the roadside. Hopefully I've not broken your no spoilers clause too badly. I figure everyone has seen these. :)

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Nearly everytime I watch "It's a Wonderful Life"

What's wrong with crying again?

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I cried when I watched the "Battle of Los Angeles" (also tears of pain) but it was that bad :D. I'm not sure any other video has a lower rating then 1.9 on IMDB.

Some anime dramas will get a tear out of me.

12. =w= macrumors 6502a

=w=

When I was younger, I never cried while watching movies or TV shows. Now I cry all the time. It's not boo-hoo crying. It's more just tears in my eyes and if it's particularly sad, it's a little hard to stop.

It doesn't have to be a sad show or movie, just a sad part. Hell, i'm pretty sure i've even cried during Modern Family and I think that show is hilarious

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yes that one too. :)

14. snberk103 macrumors 603

The ending of West Side Story....every time. But I'm not embarrassed.... I'm old enough to worry about it.

15. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

I don't ever cry at movies, but the beginning of Up had me shedding a tear.

16. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Ditto. I use that movie as an example of how brilliant Pixar can be at storytelling. It tells an entire life story of a simple, happy couple without saying a single word, and manages to pack more emotion into 5 minutes than most movies do in 2 hours. I'm not at all ashamed to admit that I misted up a bit over it.

Though one movie I remember from back in the day that had everyone going "ohh maaahhh gawwwddd it's so sad, you haaavveee to see it", yet didn't do a single thing for me was City of Angels. It was hyped to hell and back, and I had to watch it just to see what all the hooplah was about.

Yeah, okay, it's sad how Melancholy Nicolas Cage Angel gave up his life and became human for a chance at love, and how his love was taken from him the day after making the commitment. But damn, couldn't they have found a way to make the tragic scene a little less pointlessly stupid? I mean comeon. It's common freaking sense that if you're riding a bike down a steep mountain road that doubles as a heavily used logging trail, the last thing you need to do is ride down the middle of said road, take your hands off the handlebars, close your eyes, and...you know...enjoy the moment. Getting plowed head on by a tractor trailer was kinda bound to happen in that situation.

Was it tragic? Yeah, it was tragic. In much the same way that a college aged kid dies because he thought it'd be funny if he stuck bottle rockets up his nose and lit them is tragic. A life cut short in its prime is always a sad thing, but...gee...gaw...damn...YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAN TO DO THAT!

17. rhett7660, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Toy Story 3 for me should have ended with the demise of the Toys! That scene alone would have sealed my fate. But the fact they lived..... Pixar took the easy way out. But then again they did leave it open for a whole new series of adventures!

The movie the Champ had me going...... Man Ricky S. scene at the end. Ugh. The Notebook was sad. I really liked the ending actually to this one.

Now, if you haven't seen "My Life" with Michael Keaton... oh my. That one had me tearing up like a kid who just lost his favorite toy. Seriously that movie is freaking sad.

18. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Watching any 3 film makes me cry.
    Rambo 3
    Jaws 3
    Police academy 3

Just let thoughs sequels die already....

19. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

When I was younger, I watched Cast Away with my parents and I bawled when Tom Hanks lost Wilson. My mom tried to comfort me by telling me that he got another ball but I kept saying that it wasn't the same one :eek:

20. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

I'm with ya, I'm not really a crier or an emotional person....at all.

A movie that had me crying was American History X at the very end.

Another one was The Last Samurai during the final battle. That had me really misty.

21. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I almost did in the doctor who episode Angles in Manhattan. I know some one who cried a lot a lot a lot during that episode

22. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Definitely sad, that episode and the speech Doctor 11 gave in "Time of the Doctor".

I personally cried at the dockside scene in "Return of the King" - after getting a bit choked up when everyone bowed down to the Hobbits at Aragorn's coronation and really more when Samwise carried Frodo to the entrance of Mount Doom. So I could not take it anymore by the time Frodo was about to embark for the Undying lands. :eek:

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't recall that I ever cried at a movie, but I'm sure there were times that I got chocked up. None come to memory at this point.

24. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The only time I had a tear is when I watched Marley and me. Great movie!