Anyone experience Backlight issues on iPhone 6s Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jtrenda33, Sep 29, 2015.

1. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

2-3 weeks according to current shipping times on Apple.com, which is where I will be ordering from.

2. viperGTS macrumors 68000

That's not too bad of a wait. It's a shame I have to even return this phone, but oh well...

3. th3r3ds0x macrumors regular

th3r3ds0x

My 6s+ gold might have a slight book spine effect down the right side. I honestly probably wouldn't have noticed it had I not been reading the forum and then started eyeing it real hard. It could even be my imagination lol. It's not worth returning what is otherwise a perfect phone. I don't have an  store nearby so trying to exchange and risking getting one that might have a real issue just not worth it. Enjoying the phone, it's nice and fast.

4. samven582 macrumors 6502a

my 6s plus had this problem as well. Return for a full refund. Will wait a few months until Apple gets there **** together

5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Couple months down might not resolve the issue, just FYI

6. entraik Suspended

call apple and have them send you a replacement.. don't be so accepting of it

7. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

We know...

8. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know. I just mailed mine off... :(

9. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I don't think "we" do

10. th3r3ds0x macrumors regular

th3r3ds0x

If it were anything at all more than what it is I would pursue that. Right now it's so slight it almost seems to be going away. It's just not worth it to me to bother as its really so slight I never would have even considered it an issue without other people scrutinizing their displays. I have apple care so if I do ever have any issues you better believe I'll be cashing in on it.

11. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

The good news is that Apple - without me having to ask - said they would replace my iPhone 5, which is pretty much unusable, so that I'm not without a phone for the next couple of weeks. The replacement is on a FedEx vehicle for delivery today. They also waived the express shipping again. That's pretty awesome and my support experiences are usually pretty outstanding, which is why I always consider getting AppleCare, but rarely ever do for iPhones. Now I'll have a backup phone that I can mindlessly install iOS betas on and/or jailbreak without having to worry about messing up my daily driver.

12. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Wow, that's pretty awesome! I wonder if they would do that with my now beat up iPhone 5s, provided I go for an exchange rather than a full refund.

13. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't know, you could try. Although, the one they sent me seems very slow compared to my previous iPhone 5 and it has a faulty power button. The 5's had/have a recall for power buttons, but you'd think they would have sent me one that was affected by this or at least one that was already repaired. They're probably going to have to send me yet another one. It's getting ridiculous.

14. viperGTS macrumors 68000

I went, didn't even bother to try to get my 5s replaced. I'm just going to fix it.

Apple QC has really disappointed me. It's a shame that so many phones just on this forum are being returned because of one issue or another. And the said thing is, they probably won't do anything about it.

15. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just placed another order for a 6s Plus White/Silver 128gb from apple.com. Shipping estimate 2-3 weeks. Will update this thread as soon as I receive the phone. Fingers crossed for no display issues!

16. macjoshua macrumors 6502

image.jpeg
    My 6S is showing the same issue across the top left. Overall, the screen is pretty good - but the couple shadowy areas at the top get on my nerves. I'm debating on just settling with it. There are too many other problems I could potentially get.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

October 2016, when the iPhone 7 (presumably) launches.

If you're looking for problems, you're going to find them. If this is unacceptable to you, then you may want to just not buy an iPhone. Seriously.

Otherwise, you risk being one of those guys who exchanges their phone a dozen times or more. And not only will you be driving yourself nuts, but you'll be waisting the time of the sales staff, and reducing supply for people who understand that build variances happen and it's simply a part of manufacturing millions of the same product to satisfy demand.

18. viperGTS macrumors 68000

Don't give me the "Don't buy an iPhone" lecture because iPhone is the only phone I want to own right now.

There are problems I am willing to accept (like the very slightly wavy effect at the top of the display, that doesn't bug me too much), but when the display carries an uneven tint and there is an obvious pinch occurring at one end of the display, that's unacceptable for a phone that cost me so much.

If you have no issues, kindly exit this thread.

19. tlou, Oct 21, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2015

tlou macrumors newbie

My 6S plus has this same issue. It's the first thing I noticed. There doesn't appear to be any other backlight leakage/shadows etc anywhere else

How common is this? I'm on my original unit and I don't think I can be bothered to go through the trouble of exchanging when chances are I could get one with an actual serious fault.

Also what kinda gets me through it is the reality is that this time next year I'll have the new iPhone anyway, so what does it matter if I get a "perfect phone". Obviously I'd love a "perfect" phone but they don't exist, and lcd displays in particular certainly aren't perfect, backlight uniformity issues are common.

But if this "spotlight" issue is rare then I might be tempted to try an exchange as I paid £789 sim free which is over $1200. I'm almost tempted to go into an Apple Store and look at the display models, but it's so bright in there I might not spot the issue, and I'll probably look weird holding a load of phones at weird angles lol.

20. jtrenda33, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015

jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got my new iPhone 6s Plus in the mail today and ... drum roll please ... same issues as before. :mad:

Edit: The entire display actually seems worse than the original one I received on launch day.

21. jtrenda33 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's the difference between you and me. I bought my phone off contract to keep unlimited data and I plan on keeping the phone for at least 3-4 years, but if you're an every year upgrader, then I agree that this shouldn't be much of an issue for you.

22. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

My iPhone 5S has this issue. When I first called Apple, I was asked to send diagnostics data. And then after taking a look at the data, the representative told me nothing was wrong with my phone... Smh...

When I brought it to Apple Store, the genius told me he doesn't see anything wrong with the screen, and told me that everything is "within spec."

23. jqc macrumors regular

the uneven tint is an unfortunate reality for ios divices going back to the original iphone ipads, i think its the LCD screen tech because you see it on many TVs too. I am OCD about this have exchanged/returned on multiple devices over the years. You will not get a perfect one. hopefully you will get one you can live with.

24. tlou, Oct 22, 2015

tlou macrumors newbie

If I was keeping my phone longer term then without a doubt I'd get it exchanged.

Also for what you pay for the privilege of having an apple device the quality control should be better. But realistically it's a mass produced device and they sell so many of them that implementing tighter quality control would cost them too much time and money, and they wouldn't gain anything as the majority of people that own an iPhone don't even notice these issues. It shouldn't be like that, but it is.

For example my girlfriend has backlight bleed on her iPhone 6 and it's really bad. She didn't even know what I was talking about, and even when I pointed out to her she didn't care. I wish I couldn't care but unfortunately I'm cursed with some stupid form of "OCD" where I spot the smallest issues and they irritate me so much that I can't enjoy most of the stuff I purchase.

There seems to be a lot of people like me on this site, and despite what this forum portrays, I.e lots of issues. People on here are such a small minority. Do you think the majority of people who own an iPhone would return a phone for a home button that clicks for example? Lol or do you think the typical customer knows or cares whether they have a Samsung or TSMC chip? I'm sure if you asked a random customer in the store they'd have no clue what you were talking about.

I paid nearly £800 for the 128gb plus and it shouldn't have this issue. I'm going to an Apple Store tonight for an unrelated issue (on a Mac) and will defintely look at the display models of the 6s plus..

If most of them display this issue I won't bother exchanging, as knowing my luck I'll have the same spotlights at the top of the screen plus a few more issues.

However if the majority of demo devices don't have this issue then I think I'll have a roll of the dice.

Lastly just to add that I tend to normally return everything I buy due to "faults", now am I the unluckiest person in the world? No, the problem is me, and also the fact that quality control on pretty much every mass produced item is crappy. It's a race to the bottom for nearly everything. People want to pay bottom dollar and have top dollar quality, but it doesn't work like that. If manufacturers implemented top quality control, the cost would be passed on to consumers and things would be even more expensive.

25. tlou, Oct 22, 2015

tlou macrumors newbie

Just as an update for what it's worth. I went to the lakeside Apple Store in the UK and looked at all the demo units of 6S plus, (the staff were looking at me a bit weirdly as I went from device to device and tilted them at a slight angle) and the majority of them had the spotlighting. Some appeared to be worse than others though.

Also one thing I had noticed is the "pressure point" I read about on here, that is defintely more annoying than the spotlight issue in my opinion. This was on a few of the devices. Luckily my device does not suffer from the pressure point towards the bottom left of the screen.

As things stand I'm not going to risk getting an exchange for a unit with more issues.

I appreciate that I'm basing my decision on a small sample in one store. But honestly if the spotlighting was not common then I think it's unlikely that every unit in the Apple Store would suffer from it.

Had it been a case where the majority of the demo units didn't suffer from it then I think I would have tried an exchange. Also worth mentioning is that the 6s demo units didn't have the spotlighting though.