Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
A couple of weeks before the whole "Uncarrier" initiative launched I was in a T-Mobile store talking to one of the reps about how I was just waiting for them to launch the iPhone and that I would be switching from Verizon. He mentioned to me that sometimes the manager has been able to pay people's ETF's in order for them to switch. It was a corporate store, not an authorized retailer. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this or if the guy was just full of crap. I know I've heard of carriers doing this in the past. Is it a store-by-store kind of decision or something?
I was going to dump Verizon at the end of the month right before my monthly bill ends (since you get stuck paying for the whole month regardless of when you cancel), but after that I'll only have two months left of my contract and I can't justify paying $260 (2 smartphone family plan) to get out just two months early. I've waited almost two years, what's two more months? I'd switch today if T-Mobile would pay my ETF though! Just wondering if anyone had any luck or heard any mention of it.

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Don't bet on it, why would they do it for a random Joe Schmoe?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
A couple of weeks before the whole "Uncarrier" initiative launched I was in a T-Mobile store talking to one of the reps about how I was just waiting for them to launch the iPhone and that I would be switching from Verizon. He mentioned to me that sometimes the manager has been able to pay people's ETF's in order for them to switch. It was a corporate store, not an authorized retailer. I was wondering if anyone else had heard this or if the guy was just full of crap. I know I've heard of carriers doing this in the past. Is it a store-by-store kind of decision or something?
I was going to dump Verizon at the end of the month right before my monthly bill ends (since you get stuck paying for the whole month regardless of when you cancel), but after that I'll only have two months left of my contract and I can't justify paying $260 (2 smartphone family plan) to get out just two months early. I've waited almost two years, what's two more months? I'd switch today if T-Mobile would pay my ETF though! Just wondering if anyone had any luck or heard any mention of it.

That would be awesome if they could pay the AT&T ETF for me. Question is would they?

chare375

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2010
I am curious as well, I got two lines with an ETF right now around $375, anyway T-Mo would pay if I switch from AT&T?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I actually think it's illegal for a phone company to pay ETFs of another company, or at least openly offer to do that. If that was allowed wouldn't every company offer to do that to you?

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
I actually think it's illegal for a phone company to pay ETFs of another company, or at least openly offer to do that. If that was allowed wouldn't every company offer to do that to you?

They won't pay them directly but they'll credit your account for whatever the ETF is.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Managers have the ability to credit a certain amount to customer accounts each month. Highly doubt they would be paying $300+ etfs unless you were bringing over some massive account with a large number of lines that would create a lot of commission for them and the total ETFs don't exceed like $400

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I know it's not useful but carriers do this in Australia all the time. I switched about 9 months ago, with 3 months left in my contract.

Telstra credited me 3 months which worked out to be $200. However the retail stores couldn't do anything it was the sales team over the phone.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
if anyone interested in switching to t-mobile PM me. I can forward your email to the rep who managed my switch.

t-mobile may help with ETF but not sure if they can do it 100%, like the other poster said, it could be based on how much of the $$$ ETF left.

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
hope everything going good with t-mobile.

They will do credit check (even if you do not buy the iPhone 5 at installment plan).

let me know if anyone else interested; Pm me.

Yeah he hasn't yet sent me a reply to my last message. He did have a couple of questions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So what would be in it for T-Mo, I mean they' won't do stuff just because they like you.

Why should they take a 200 - 300 dollar hit to gain a customer. How long will it take them to make that back and start profiting from you as a customer? Wouldn't it pose a large risk for them since they won't have you locked in with a contract.

What would stop you from leaving t-mo after a month and going with att?

T-Mobile needs to make money and they won't if they have to start buying customers.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
So what would be in it for T-Mo, I mean they' won't do stuff just because they like you.

Why should they take a 200 - 300 dollar hit to gain a customer. How long will it take them to make that back and start profiting from you as a customer? Wouldn't it pose a large risk for them since they won't have you locked in with a contract.

What would stop you from leaving t-mo after a month and going with att?

T-Mobile needs to make money and they won't if they have to start buying customers.

Guess TMobile will be the one to answer those questions and deem if it is indeed worth their time and efforts.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Guess TMobile will be the one to answer those questions and deem if it is indeed worth their time and efforts.

Perhaps though I'm kind of doubtful that any business will pay a customer's ETF, especially a company that cannot lock in the customer with a contract

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Perhaps though I'm kind of doubtful that any business will pay a customer's ETF, especially a company that cannot lock in the customer with a contract

it is account credit - I believe, if you move away early - you will lose. If you move after getting the period, then other carriers price is competitive. it is not a really money, more of a credit (or risk t-mobile taking assuming you will be a customer for coming years).

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
it is account credit - I believe, if you move away early - you will lose. If you move after getting the period, then other carriers price is competitive. it is not a really money, more of a credit (or risk t-mobile taking assuming you will be a customer for coming years).

Why do they need to run a credit check if you buy the phone outright. The rep was asking for my SSN through email for this credit check. I don't give that to anyone unless I know them or I'm in that corporate setting. Seems fishy to me. Sorry for having my doubts.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Why do they need to run a credit check if you buy the phone outright. The rep was asking for my SSN through email for this credit check. I don't give that to anyone unless I know them or I'm in that corporate setting. Seems fishy to me. Sorry for having my doubts.

I am not sure then, ask the rep; but I did provide and switched though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.