Anyone get the inCase Maki Sleeve?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Steviejobz, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Curious as to how you like it, what the material is like, etc.

Looking for slim sleeve.

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I ordered one. Should receive it on Wednesday.

3. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

I purchased one for my 3rd gen iPad and I can't say enough good things about it. I was pretty hesitant because there seemed to be a lack of reviews, but I figured that I could always send it back if it didn't pass muster. The suede feels great, though of course it doesn't offer a whole lot in the way of protection from drops and the like (it is a sleeve, after all). It's incredibly slim, as the pictues suggest.

There's a very particular way to insert the iPad into the sleeve, which isn't immediately apparent; you insert the iPad with the suede lining inside on the side of the screen. The Korean Incase site makes this pretty obvious.

http://incasestore.co.kr/front/php/product.php?product_no=775&main_cate_no=40&display_group=1

As far as the stand feature, it does as advertised, though without the ridigity displayed in the product pictures. The "triangle" tilts back slightly due to the weight of the iPad, which causes the base to lift, almost like the iPad is reclining instead of standing straight up.

If you place the iPad in portrait orientation on the stand, it will feel a little precarious, so I take extra care to make sure the "triangle" really is going to support the iPad. It seems to be a question of weight distribution more than anything else, and I do wish that the "triangle" was firmer; as long as you don't toss the iPad into the stand willy-nilly, you should be fine. Landscape orientation doesn't feel nearly as precarious.

4. lsh macrumors 6502

Will a new iPad with smart cover and shell fit?

5. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

Incase claims that an iPad with a Smart Cover will fit. I don't have one, so unfortunately I can't test their claims with a 3rd gen iPad. I see no reason why it wouldn't; it's rather snug but it doesn't seem likely that the slight thickness increase would automatically cause the 3rd gen iPad not to fit.

I don't think it's very likely that an iPad with a shell and Smart Cover would fit. Perhaps if the shell was extremely thin? I was actually very surprised that my iPad fit at all; on first glance, it just looks very snug. And yet it fits... YMMV on a shell + Smart Cover combination, but a Smart Cover + iPad combo should work just fine.

6. Steviejobz thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for this review. Very helpful. As you said, not many reviews out there.

7. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

I only advise to be careful if you do some heavy-duty typing while using the stand. Typing in portrait mode isn't impossible but I feel like if I jab at the screen too hard, the triangle is gonna collapse. It's really up to you if you feel like you can deal with it; myself, I don't anticipate typing out essays while it's propped up in portrait mode, so it's not really an issue for me.

Again, landscape seems far sturdier.

8. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I just received mine. I'm comfortable with the "up and down" view in both landscape and vertical, but the typing position (pictured on Incase's website) is very unstable. It keeps collapsing in on itself. I'm seriously considering returning it... $30 is a lot to pay for $0.50 of materials in a design that doesn't work as advertised.

9. whawhat macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reviews. I want to keep my iPad naked and this looked like a good solution. Mine arrives Friday so I'll post a quick review then.

10. silver8ack macrumors regular

That sucks. I was thinking about getting one but now I'm not so sure. Leaning towards the switcheasy trig. Although that has no typing position.

11. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

After a bit of experimentation, I noticed that you can "fortify" the triangle by positioning the base of the triangle to be perpendicular to the opposite side (if that makes any sense). It doesn't make it a brick wall, but it's certainly sturdier than if you leave the base as it is.

(And I've finally wised up and taken pictures. At work, no less! Photo 1 shows the triangle as-is and photo 2 is with the base perpendicular to the opposite side.)

Attached Files:

12. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I don't have a problem with that position. I do have a problem with this one:
    [​IMG]

13. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

Oh, that one! I think there's a "sweet spot" for that particular arrangement. The attachment shows the positioning that gives me the least chance of collapsing (in my short test period with lots of simulated typing), but YMMV.

Attached Files:

14. qpixo macrumors member

I was going to order but after reading you guys review, it seems this case it's not a good choice.

I was looking for their old item: Incase CL57475 Neoprene Sleeve iPad 2/new iPad. It looks like discontinued and Out of stock in Amazon...

15. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

I purchased the Maki sleeve on Monday and paid $25 for International shipping.

How long did you guys have to wait between ordering it and it shipping?

It's been 4 days and still no email to say its been shipped, I emailed them yesterday to ask to but no reply.

16. soulsteelgray macrumors regular

I purchased it on the 7th and it shipped on the 8th. I live in the US, though.

17. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

As I posted in another thread I truly do not like this case. I received it last night and it is completely Cumbersome. The material feels cheap. The typing angle sucks. I love the in case brand but this case truly sucks. Definitely not worth the $30 I paid for. I'm going to return it. And I believe I will go for a naked iPad and most likely pick up a bag for the iPad instead.

As a side note, I used the voice dictation to type out this comment. And I love it. LOL.

Attached Files:

18. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Well it's now Saturday and I've had no email to confirm shipping or to reply to my email asking how long it would be.

I'm unable to check to see if there charges me as I'm in Amsterdam for the weekend (just using a pubs WiFi at the mo)

Getting slightly concerned now.

19. AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

InCase Maki Sleeve does NOT fit iPad (3rd Gen) with Smart Cover

I want to warn people that the Maki Sleeve does NOT fit the iPad (3rd Gen) with an Apple Smart Cover attached, even though that is promised on InCase's site at present.

Getting the iPad in there takes a fair bit of force, and even then it doesn't go all the way in and the flap won't close properly. Getting the iPad out is extremely difficult.

I'm very disappointed as I thought this would be an ideal solution for me. I sent a message to Incase customer support and am awaiting a reply.

Also, I'm not sure the case-as-stand feels stable enough for me. Thinking of just returning it and going for something else.

And by the way, I LOVE Incase products and have several. This is an unfortunate anomaly.

20. dusiek macrumors newbie

Not sure if they got back to you already or not, but they shipped my order right away, they just didn't send a shipping confirmation email and the shipment status check on their website doesn't work... By the time their support got back to me with the tracking number the package was waiting for me at the post office for a week.

21. jaded-mandarin macrumors regular

Are you US or UK (or other)?

They haven't got back to me and nothing has arrived. Why was the package waiting for you at the PO? I've got it delivered to work so it's unlikely delivery will be missed.

I checked as well and I haven't been charged yet, you're usually charged when shipped I guess? It's getting a bit silly because I can't really take my iPad anywhere until this is sorted, and I'm in limbo because I don't know whether to go ahead and get another case or wait around for this one when it might never appear.

22. oc949 macrumors newbie

I just got mine today. I have a black leather smart cover + a carbon fiber skin. The fit is perfect.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I got my refund today. Definitely not for me.

Going naked. The way god (Steve jobs) intended it to be.

24. AppleInMyBlood, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

AppleInMyBlood macrumors regular

Very disappointed in Incase

It is now five days since I submitted my customer service ticket to Incase, with no response other than the automated email I received initially. I emailed them on Wednesday--no response. I emailed them again just now, essentially telling them I will be returning the Maki sleeve and buying another company's product if they don't respond today.

This may well be the last Incase product I purchase. Judging by a post above, it seems at least one Maki sleeve fits the iPad 3 with Smart Cover, but mine definitely does not. Way too tight to get it in all the way, and near impossible to get out without using a great deal of force!

I will report back if they suddenly redeem themselves, but otherwise, I cannot recommend this case, nor Incase itself, to anybody.

Just like another poster above, this has been a major inconvenience, since I have been unwilling to carry my new iPad unprotected when out and about this week.

:mad:

PS: I'm tempted by Incipio's lineup. Their products look great and I'm hoping for better customer service!