Anyone getting a Kindle, or own one?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by unlimitedx, Aug 1, 2010.

1. unlimitedx macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone already, but I am interested in getting a Kindle for reading purposes. I can read books on the iPad and iPhone and and all (not that I have an iPad), but I think Kindle's e-ink screen is superior for reading and battery life is much more longer.

Are you going to get a Kindle? Or already own one?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I just got a Kindle DX2 (i.e. graphite model) 2 weeks ago, and it's fantastic.

It's not a perfect device, but I knew the weaknesses prior to buying the device. When compared to an Apple iPad, the OS and user interface is really clunky and slow. This type of device should be touch-screen, as it feels like the most natural way to navigate a touchscreen. There's even a Sony E-Reader with a touchscreen, but unfortunately, it doesn't have the same image quality or clarity. The good thing is that the buttons on the side are just as good as the iPad for tasks such as turning pages, which is the most important part of a UI for an eReader, no?

I should also mention that I didn't purchase the Kindle DX2 specifically for reading books. I have 2 books loaded onto it (Eating Animals, and Green Metropolis), but reading books was not my main intention. I purchased it to read and store PDFs --- LOTS of PDFs. I currently have around 50 PDFs loaded onto it, along with the 2 books. I read PDFs from scientific journals, international protocols that we follow at the hospital (where I work), product manuals, and other work-related documents. My Kindle is brilliant as a storage facility for my documents, since I can't keep 1000 pages of documents with me at all times. This will be useful for train trips (I commute to work every day), on vacations, etc.

The Kindle only uses battery power when you change pages, and based on how much information is packed in my PDFs, the Kindle DX2 will probably last me 4-6 weeks before I need to recharge!! With any LCD device, I'd have to worry about battery life during a long reading session. I love how the Kindle is so free of hassles.

The Kindle DX's screen is far superior to that of the iPad, Android mobile, iPhone, or any tablet computer or laptop screen for reading documents and books. This is where the Kindle shines, and LCD screens fail. Unlike LCD screens, the Kindle screen gets better as the amount of light in your environment increases. LCD screens are the opposite, as the screens get worse as ambient light increases. I'm much more likely to read in a lit room than in the dark, so this works out well.

The screen is exactly like paper. Really. Also, it's smudge-proof, and I haven't seen any glare whatsoever from normal indoor or outdoor use.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a Kindle 2 and love it. The screen is great. It is nice to able to carry around several books in such a small package. Another nice thing is the fact that you can read Kindle books on your Kindle, your iPhone, iPad, Android phone, or your computer.

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I would like to try one. I don't own an iPad or a Kindle, so in a way I'm still deciding between them.

5. 184550 Guest

I'll never buy an e-reader. I prefer the feel of the book in my hand, being able to flip through the book as I please and being able to admire it on my bookshelf.

6. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Old thinking. Have you tried a good reader out for any appreciable period of time?

7. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I have an iPad, but 139.99 kindle is more than tempting. I'll most likely pick one up when they're available.

8. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I have owned three ebook readers now, a Sony, a Kindle and currently an iPad. My favorite is by far the iPad and I was surprised that the screen doesn't bother me any more or less than the e-ink did. I actually sold my kindle altogether.

That said, the kindle is a great device, and the new one they just came out with is really cool. The selection and price of the books is great, and their syncing service across devices (i.e. You iPhone an kindle) is extremely handy.

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My wife has a Kindle 2. She loves it, and I've enjoyed the couple of books I've read on it too. We'll probably purchase another one at some point soon.

10. Fireproof! macrumors 6502a

Fireproof!

I bought the first Kindle and fell in love with it. I (used to) travel a lot and it was SO cool to not have to buy another paperback or hardback, but simply shop on the Kindle itself when I finished a book, and be reading my next one in less than 5 minutes.

I then upgraded to the Kindle 2 when it was released and gave my Kindle 1 to my wife and she loves it as well.

We both now have iPads and love them to death. We do read a lot on the iPads (using the Kindle app), but won't be selling the Kindles at all. We still use them when reading outside (it's better in sunlight) or by the pool or at the beach or other places I wouldn't want to take my expensive iPad.

So for me, there's room for both!!

And now with the new price point of the Kindle, and the ability to get the cheaper WiFi version, I think it's a helluva bargain!!

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well, I can't afford all 3, so I just asked myself whether I wanted:

1. An iPhone + iPad

2. An iPhone + Kindle.

I don't see the point of doubling up on features, and for more money, so I got the Kindle DX. Besides, I don't want to worry about battery life or the work/light environment. I live in Australia, and it gets sunny sometimes. ;)

As an added bonus, Amazon books are around 40-50% cheaper than Australian prices. :)

12. awmazz macrumors 65816

I was thinking about a Kindle DX, but now there's a wifi version of the smaller one I wonder if I should wait for that in a DX if it'll be anytime soon. I suppose you'd still need the USB cable connection for charging it anyway so it wouldn't be that important...

13. awmazz macrumors 65816

UPDATE - My Kindle DX has just arrived. I already had a few purchased Kindle books and actually found myself caught up in reading one on the DX even before I had even finished syncing them all onto it (Whispernet works perfectly out of the box). Whereas they just sat unread on the iPad for weeks after reading a few pages, so this is testament to how much more likely I am to be reading on the Kindle in the future as opposed to the iPad.

I'm also transferring all my software manual PDFs over to the Kindle as well. Just drag and drop them to the Kindle folder that mounts when it's connected via USB. This DX model isn't wifi like the new smaller Kindle so needs a USB cable connection to transfer files. No biggie, as you need the USB to charge it from the computer anyway, so two birds..

First hour of use conclusion: Brilliant. I *will* be using it for reading, no doubt about it. I'm actually thinking why didn't I get this before? Why did I wait? Probably the cost, which is now more reasonable.

PS. The concept of not having an 'off' switch is something to get used to. The page just stays there on the screen (or it switches to a screensaver image of a famous writer) even when it's not in use and not using any juice.

PPS. Apple's iBooks is not functional in Australia (just the rights-free classics is all it has) due to the backwards troglodyte Aust publishing industry so there's no comparison there at all when it comes to actually buying books to read. Just Amazon's Mac/iPad Kindle app versus the actual proper Kindle. The Kindle wins - much better screen for actual reading. And I'm looking forward to being able to read outside in the sun as well. :)

Edit - just one more thing. The DX looks so much bigger than the smaller Kindle, but it's virtually the same size as the iPad, and a bit thinner. And it's about a third lighter, which I think will make a big difference when it comes to holding it for long periods of time.

14. Reventon macrumors 6502

I have a Sony eReader, which is kind of similar to the Kindle. I love that thing.

15. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

I also have a Kindle, and one of the things I liked about it is the lack of a touch screen.

The touch screen just ends making the screen full of smudges and fingerprints. Besides, I read it adds an extra layer to the screen, reducing the full advantages of the e-ink technology.

Maybe when they make a complete fingerprint resistant screen.:p

16. liamkp macrumors 68020

liamkp

No touchscreen though... :( At least for my friends.

17. Reventon macrumors 6502

Yeah, a touchscreen would be nice....

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The highlighting with the cursor is mildly cumbersome, but otherwise, I don't miss a touchscreen much. I don't think it would be worth the extra weight / thickness / decreased durability.

19. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just made the plunge and pre ordered my 3g kindle :)

Too bad is orders are back-ordered!

20. awmazz macrumors 65816

I'm totally agreeing with you on this. Not having to touch the screen at all is actually a big positive, leaving it pristine at all times.

I'm finding the DX2 is the perfect size for me, not too big, not too small (like the iPad itself), so I'd be interested to hear your feedback on the smaller Kindle when you get it.

21. unlimitedx thread starter macrumors 6502a

The DX seems like the ideal size to me as well. Though the 6" has more favorable price point for me :) I'll keep you posted when it arrives, estimated Sept 8th :(

22. Badradio macrumors 6502

The new Wifi Kindle is released just before my birthday, so I asked my wife for one, and I can't wait to get started. I've got a house full of books and I'm running out of room to add more, so this is a natural step for me.

23. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I have a kindle 2 and I love it. You may think the 6" is too small at first, but it's perfect for leisure reading, which is what I use it for. I tend to keep reference books on my mac so I can code next to them on the same screen. But I digress. The kindle is an excellent device. I highly recommend Calibre to go along with it. Calibre is great for managing ebooks, and is really good at converting free epubs to work with the kindle. Buy one. If you read for pleasure, you'll love it. The eink screen is amazing to read on, and at $139, you can't go wrong.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Tell me about it. A book I wanted was AUD $35 at my local shop in Melbourne. On Amazon, it's $12.99 USD. That's around $15 AUD.

Unfortunately, that book was one of the few that isn't available in Australia. :(. Good news: Borders Australia sells it for $21 AUD in ePub format. Just use Calibre to change the format, and then transfer. :)

25. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

that is what I miss with my sony ereader. Which is really prompting me to buy the ipad. I got spoiled reading from kindle for the iphone. :eek: