Anyone Getting the Galaxy Note instead?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Steviejobz, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

Curious if people are even considering it as an option.

2. Bradllez macrumors 6502

Bradllez

Comparing a phone to a tablet.

Nice.

/bradllez

3. eclipseblur954 macrumors regular

yeah thats a phablet, not a tablet, a 5" screen can not replace a ~10" screen

4. stevelam macrumors 65816

hell no. i have a samsung s2 which is arguably a flagship android device. overall its been an utter disappointment. no way would i want another android device at this moment in time.

5. sekazi macrumors 6502

It is not a phone or tablet. It is the red headed step child of devices. It is a bulky useless device.

The galaxy note is almost the size of my PS Vita.

6. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

got one, love it, nice compliment to ipad, and will dump it when the smaller ipad comes out!

7. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Do people not realize there's a 10.1" version of the Note coming?

I'm not getting it, I've already preordered my iPad. It was the screen that really made me buy a tablet...

I can't wait to see the tear downs and tests of the new iPad. I want to see if they have upgraded the actual touch panel to a higher resolution to be more accurate for stylus (drawing/handwriting) purposes...

8. BlizzardBolt macrumors 6502

what happened?

9. disneyfire macrumors newbie

Absolutely not....Nothing but apple in this house. Period.

10. bjmach macrumors 6502

same here I wanted to see what the Android world was like and it sucks. Going back to iPhone when the new one comes out and I can upgrade again.

11. disneyfire macrumors newbie

Yep...the non apple "pads" are crap and rubbish, completely worthless. IMHO

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

I'm getting both and comparing. I'm almost certain i'll keep the Note
    (that's the 10" one folks)

I want the Wacom. I'm a Wacom guy.

But the iPad may be great and i'll keep both.

Who knows.

13. stevelam macrumors 65816

nothing really happened. i didn't expect an iOS experience on it but at least wanted an enjoyable one. android just didn't do it for me. not to mention its extremely buggy if you install ANY custom rom. i've tried everything from cyanogenmod to MIUI and i kept getting constant crashes while browsing android market and bugs when turning usb connect off and on.

the screen is also god awful. overly saturated fake colours galore.

14. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

A what?

[​IMG]

----------

My dad has one and so does my best friend. I'm always helping my dad use it and I'm always with my best friend so I'm playing with her Samsung and oh boy let me tell you... Samsung Galaxy or whatever it's called is the most complicated phone device I've ever used.

My parents were born in a foreign country where there was no technology (and let me say back then it wasn't their priority, their priority was to survive). Anyway, my dad has been "Canadianized" and has been more tech-savy than my mom. He's had MP3 players, iPod Touch, cameras, etc. My mom has no tech savy thing, so my dad is more experienced. Long story short: my mom has an iPhone. My dad has a Samsung Galaxy. My mom, who does not know English, knows how to use a iPhone perfectly fine while my dad struggles with his Samsung.

15. big samm macrumors 65816

I have the note already... Lte version and i love it! But the note is not a tablet its a phone. I can't see someone saying ill buy the note instead of the ipad or vice versa because they are 2 different devices!

16. DS3 macrumors 6502a

In a world where iOS was used on multiple devices, I'd quite possibly get the Note 10.1 over the iPad 3, the pen is of more value to me than the resolution.

But not enough to shift to Android. Plus thats if they were the same price and supposedly the note 10.1 may have a significantly higher base price.

So uh.. note 10.1 looks good but yeah iPad 3.

17. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Actually, I sold my iPad 2, and had my iPhone up for sale, and bought an Asus Transformer Prime and a Nexus S to give Android a whirl. I think that experiment lasted about 2 weeks. The app selection for Android tablets sucked, as far as the kind of apps I wanted. They were just "bigger" versions of the phone apps, much like the doubled up iPhone apps on an iPad. I also really disliked the web browsing on both Android devices, and didn't find a browser that made me happy enough to keep them.

So I sold the Transformer Prime (and keyboard) for what I paid for them, since they were still in short supply, and bought a low-end iPad 2 to tide me over for the new one. My GF (who uses a Galaxy S2) put up with me through this process, and is also going to get an iPad 3, although she won't switch phones.

One thing I did miss about the Android devices was the widgets/gadgets/WTF they call them that you can throw on, and move around on your home pages. But that wasn't enough to keep me 'droided.

The pen thing might be nice, but not for the kind of thing I've been using my tablet for. And who knows, with having Bluetooth 4 on board, maybe we'll see some cool stuff come out for the iPads too.

C

18. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

no offense but I never understood "android" people. When its comes to phones they say "iphones screen is way too small for me I need a giant screen to even see" then when something like an ipad 10" screen happens they say " When a smaller ipad comes out" Im confused as to what ya'll want? Its like they want their phone to be as big as their tablet and their tablet to be as small as their phone???? :confused::confused: I'm lost

19. MortalDays macrumors regular

you do realize this is an Apple forums. right? :eek:

20. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

That's no excuse. That item should not be talked about... anywhere

[​IMG]

21. falcora macrumors 6502

Nope, i try to stay off the crack nowadays. :D

22. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

God awful? That's a good one. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but in my opinion the screen is fantastic and makes the iPhone 4S look tiny and washed out. What you would call "overly saturated" I would call bright and vibrant. The screen on the iPhone is just too dinky and dull for for me. There's no excuse at this point to stick with such a small screen. I'll come back to iPhone when the screen comes in at a reasonable size.

Also, of course the phone is going to be buggy if you start installing custom ROMs on it. That's a ridiculous argument. Custom ROMs are notoriously unstable and buggy and that has nothing to do with this phone or even Android, other than the fact that they make it easy to screw your phone up. It doesn't mean you have to do it.

There are a few things about it the S2 I don't like, but All-in-All I think it's a good phone.

23. pure3d2 macrumors 6502

I pick up an Android device and it doesn't give me the same feeling. That feeling is joy. It just isn't there with Android.

24. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

I wouldn't take a Sammy Note over an iPad, no way no how!

However, I absolutely LOVE my Samsung Galaxy S2 on Sprint!! The user experience is butter smooth with absolutely zero lag !! Had some GPS lock issues, but that was fixed with an update! The screen is gorgeous!!

I haven't rooted it yet [ the HTC E3D is my ROM flashing toy.. ] so not sure how it plays with cooked ROMs.

25. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'm guessing this thread is about the upcoming Note 10.1, otherwise the current Note is more of an iPhone than iPad competitor.

The Galaxy Note 10.1:

- 1280x800 resolution
    - 149 PPI
    - CPU : Dual-core Cortex A9
    - GPU : ?
    - 7000 mAh battery
    - 3 Megapixel camera
    - HSPA+ network
    - Availability : ?
    - Price : ?

The new iPad:

- 2048x1536 resolution
    - 264 PPI
    - CPU: Dual-core Cortex A9
    - GPU : Quad-core PowerVR SGX543MP4
    - 11666 mAh battery
    - 5 Megapixel camera
    - HSPA+ and LTE network
    - Availability : This week
    - Price : starting at 499$

It's not released yet and already doesn't hold a candle to the new iPad. If anything, it will compete more with the 399$ iPad 2. However, I don't see it get any considerable success unless it's sold for around 299$, which obviously won't happen.