Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
I think the Note looks awesome. I'm too attached to the iOS ecosystem to switch though.

Grease2310

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
God awful? That's a good one. You are entitled to your opinion of course, but in my opinion the screen is fantastic and makes the iPhone 4S look tiny and washed out. What you would call "overly saturated" I would call bright and vibrant. The screen on the iPhone is just too dinky and dull for for me. There's no excuse at this point to stick with such a small screen. I'll come back to iPhone when the screen comes in at a reasonable size.

I can see your opinion being the iPhone screen is too small. Don't get me wrong, I disagree whole heartedly, but I can see how it could be to small for you, my dad for example gave up his iPhone in favor of a Galaxy S2 for much the same reason. However, to say the RETINA DISPLAY is dull or washed out... you might want to get your eyes checked. Samsung has done some amazing things with their Super AMOLED screens, true, but they're no retina display.

surjavarman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2007
I am interested in the note as a PHONE/TABLET combo instead of getting a separate phone and tablet. And also because of android. I have used iOS for more than 4 years and frankly I am getting bored by it. I need something new so android is definitely a plus for me.

NOW WHAT I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IS!!! why is apple the only company that knows something about design? I want to have a brushed aluminum, stainless steel or glass phone. I dont want some flimsy plastic enclosure. I just don't understand why companies would use plastic for their high end phones. Who buys junk like that anyway?

So yeah. I am waiting until they release a phone with a 4.7 or higher display that does have the build quality of apple. HTC is the only company that comes remotely close to that.

beret9987

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Saw one in person, looks like an amazing phone. Can't wait for it to run ICS, but its just a tad too big for my tastes. I'm personally happy with my iPhone, would just like a 3.7-3.8" display and a resolution bump personally. I couldn't use this to replace a tablet though, I bought an iPad for the screen space.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I am interested in the note as a PHONE/TABLET combo instead of getting a separate phone and tablet. And also because of android. I have used iOS for more than 4 years and frankly I am getting bored by it. I need something new so android is definitely a plus for me.

NOW WHAT I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND IS!!! why is apple the only company that knows something about design? I want to have a brushed aluminum, stainless steel or glass phone. I dont want some flimsy plastic enclosure. I just don't understand why companies would use plastic for their high end phones. Who buys junk like that anyway?

So yeah. I am waiting until they release a phone with a 4.7 or higher display that does have the build quality of apple. HTC is the only company that comes remotely close to that.

There are lots of unattractive non-Apple devices out there. Hardware-wise and software-wise. I don't understand how some manufacture's think their products look good. It's odd.

But I feel like Samsung does a pretty good job compared to the other competition. Samsung knows how to make good designs too.

Also, plastic isn't neccesarely bad. It's light, and might actually survive more of a beating. That's if you're going caseless... If you are going to use a case, then what's the difference between metal/plastic/glass phones? It'll depend on your case.

homeboy

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2007
London
I admire the idea of the Note but for it doesn't cut it. It's in noman's land between a phone and a tablet. Can't do anything with it.

JoJoCal19

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Listen, I like Android. I love the customizability and flexibility of the OS. Android phones are great, but for my use and the where I'm at in life, the iPhone 4S works better for me so that's what I go with (but I had and loved the Galaxy Nexus but returned because camera was garbage).

However pretty much all Android tabs are DOA. Look at the upcoming Toshiba Excite 10 LE for example: http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/toshiba-excite-10-le-launch-details-confirmed/. Honeycomb and STARTING at $530? DOA.

The problem with Android tablets that I've always said is exactly what Tim Cook (I think it was him) said during the iPad launch, look at the app ecosystem for tablets. Horrible. Blowing up phone apps does NOT make an Android tablet app ecosystem. Try to look for tablet optimized apps, and look at what all you can find. And that's not even taking into consideration the quality standpoint.

I think that Android tablets will go the way of the dodo within 2 years. Windows 8 tablets will be the only worthwhile competitor to the iPad because of their capabilities. I've read recently that Desktop mode will in fact run on ARM Windows 8 tablets (just certain admin tools won't).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.