Anyone go back to the 6S+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IconIc215, Oct 11, 2016.

1. IconIc215 macrumors regular

Don't get me wrong I like the new 7+ but I am not in love with it. I am trying to justify to myself to not return it and that it is really worth the $850 over the 6S+. Feels like too much of the same to me especially for someone who uses a case covering the new color. Any regrets for those who went back to the previous generation?

2. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I still own my 6s Plus and own the 7 Plus. To me, I think the 7 Plus has a lot of advantages over the 6s Plus. Mainly the better battery, stereo speakers and dual camera. Those three features alone stand out from the 6s Plus.

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I didn't feel the difference much. Don't take bunches of photos and use headphones a lot.

Wasn't really worth it for me, but what finally made me return was no headphone jack.

4. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

I know there is not much difference in performance wise, not worth the extra money when coming from iPhone 6S Plus (atleast for me)

5. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

I had a 7+ and returned it. Cant deal with hiss noise and creaky body. I like the stereo speaker and camera tho

6. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

What hiss noise and creaky body? No problem for mine.

7. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

You dont want to know if you are happy with it. Its all over this thread

8. nordique macrumors 6502a

It isn't at all worth the 850$ more. At the very least if you're going to get an iPhone 7 or 7+, sell the previous gen phone to cover the costs of the new model

Otherwise, the upgrades - while great in many ways - simply aren't enough to justify the full unlocked price.

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I stayed with the 6s plus. Wife got the 7 and that reinforced my decision. Does that count? :)

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The 7/7+ was too fugly for me to move from my 6s+. I already have fugly and don't need to double down on it with that double fugly camera bump.

11. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

I'll keep my bright white 6s+ screen thank you.

12. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

The camera was the biggest draw for me coming from the 6s Plus. And it hasn't disappointed!
    But the stereo speakers and new colors are nice bonuses. I'm happy with the 7 Plus!

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I'm on the fence regarding returning mine, I still have a while longer to decide. I'm leaning towards sticking with my 6S+ and waiting for the 7S/i8 though, chiefly because it isn't all that different in real world use. I like the new home button, hate the tinny stereo speakers and am quite bored by the samey aesthetics. Apple really should have changed the styling like they normally do every other year because for the money they charge it's just too similar to the outgoing model in looks and performance. The 6S/6S+ was much more of a leap over previous iPhones and will easily see me through another year.

14. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I went from a 6+ to a 7+ and the performance bump is quite dramatic. With that said, I probably could have still lived with the 6+ if I was not obsessed with having latest. However, if I had a 6s+ right now, I think it would be best to hold off until next year. One year upgrade cycle is just too expensive right now, but I suspect in the future it will be the norm.

15. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I prefer the 6S+ for my use, mainly because none of the "features" of iPhone 7+ appeal to me.

Frankly some are deal breakers like the haptic home button and lack of headphone jack, something I use weekly when flying. Invested in a very high quality wired headset, I'm not interested in giving up or bothering with the pesky dongle.

Yet I bought three iPhone 7+ models for family members. Spent a week using one to see if my suspicions were correct, and they were.

Good news, rumors strongly suggest the button will be heavily revised, possibly even removed from the upcoming iPhone 8, we'll see what happens.

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

The 7/7+ screen is actually true-tone even though Apple didn't advertise it this way. Try this. Turn on the camera app on both your 7/7+ and 6S/6S+. Hold up both phones, and look around you though the screens. Compare what you see on these screens with the actual environment. In my opinion, the screen of the 7/7+ was much closer in colours to the actual view. The 6/6+ was definitely too blue.

17. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502

OriginalAppleGuy

I'm with the IUP so it made sense to upgrade. I did every two years before so with today's plans, I'd be making payments anyway. Had the 6S+, now 7+. Its way worth it to me for the following additional reasons:

• It's louder, can hear it ring and alerts. Had Lifeproof case before for waterproofing mainly. That could have contributed to the issue. Don't need it now (cheaper cases can be used now).
    • Stereo speakers. Which probably attribute to previous point. It's always bugged me how Apple didn't do this before. Glad to finally have it now!
    • Camera features:
      • I hate software ("digital") zoom. Having the two lenses is REALLY nice. The caveat though is in low light situations it uses software zoom on first lens when selecting the 2x button. That shouldn't happen too often though.
      • Better low light capability
      • Portrait mode with bokeh effect coming in 10.1
    • Improved display. I can definitely see a big improvement in how colors are represented on the 7 screen. Not that the 6S was shabby though.

18. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I had a 6S+ on AT&T. My wife and I recently switched to Verizon. I started with a regular 7 but today I got lucky and exchanged my 7 for a 128 GB Matte Black 7+. Honestly, I enjoy the 7+ more than the 6S+. It could also be that I actually get service with Verizon where I got horrible service with AT&T.

19. Mike B in ok macrumors member

Mike B in ok

I also wasn't over-impressed with the 7 plus vs my 6S Plus, and returning the new phone did cross my mind. I chose not to, because of the improved camera, and because the new phone doesn't suffer from a lagging issue in Safari that seemed unsolvable on the old phone. I'm not regretting it, I've used the new camera with success, and am enjoying smoother browsing.

20. Low country macrumors 6502

Yes I went back to the 6S+, the creaking and the camera lag on the 7+ I had sent me over the edge. My 6S+ has some lag when returning to the home screen and when opening certain apps but the build quality or feeling of the 6S+ seems FAR better than any 7+ I've seen. My 6S+ has zero camera launch lag. As far as picture quality goes, my eyes cannot see the difference between a 6S+ & 7+ picture. I was going to buy an SE this week but decided to hold off. I'll try one more 7+ when the second batch hits post launch hysteria and see if trusty ol' China has got their $ h i t together.

21. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

Yes, they are similar but I went with the 7. Love the new home button and my screen is bright, brighter than the 6s's in my house.

22. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Why do you think Apple made it hard for some iPhone 6S or iPhone 6S Plus users like myself to upgrade?

I would like to upgrade from my 6S.

I wish Apple had done some more changes.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't really know. It's not within their best interest to NOT have people upgrading as often as possible. I think we are used to yearly refreshes and skcthey had to give us something. Perhaps supply lines or designs for something more different weren't ready. Or perhaps this was the plan all along.

The Apple Watch is receiving some of the same criticisms. Although I get a series two, I didn't have a first gen to upgrade from.

24. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I returned my 7+ last week and went back to my 6s+. No regrets. The 7+ was great, but it just wasn't that much better than my good ole 6s+ IMO.

I did enjoy the better battery, performance, and (believe it or not) the new home button. But day to day usage wasn't that much greater to justify shelling out $800.

25. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

But you could have sold 6s+ to offset maybe half that or so?