Anyone go from 15" to 13" and totally happy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, Feb 18, 2010.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I had a 15" early 2008 mbp, have a mid 2009 15" unibody (and love it), but just curious.

Anyone go from 15" to 13" and totally happy with the switch?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really think this topic has been discussed in some fashion over and over again.
    http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016...e:forums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

I think what happens is some goon will show up saying how 13" MBPs aren't pro machines and suck bad, some will defend, others will say it was agony going from 15" to 13" and others (like me) will say it was the best decision they've ever made.

/shrug

3. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

I'm going from a 24" imac to a 13"mbp soon. I think it'll be a good decision. All depends what you want to do with it. I don't want to game and do want to take it around a lot. ;)

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

For the price difference between a 13" and 15", you can buy a 24"inch screen at home and use that? :cool:

5. beaner454 macrumors regular

I'd suggest keeping your 15" for as long as possible. Then when you go to upgrade get the 13". By then the 13" will have most likely been upgraded beyond what your 15" offered.

This way you get a better machine and a smaller, lighter, easier to take a long laptop-All without sacrificing performance.

6. enberg macrumors regular

Me. And I'm buying a 13" again when the refresh comes in. I suspect it depends on what you use your computer for though. I'm a programmer, not a pixel pusher.

7. robfromabove macrumors regular

I'm sure there are a few adult entertainment stars that are...

Thanks, I'll be here all week! :D

8. dgdosen macrumors 65816

dgdosen

My regular laptop is an older 15" Merom MBP where I was able to swap out the displays on - and run 1920x1200 resolution - which is great! I still however, miss the form factor of my old 12" PB and wish they'd bring back something that compact.

Since putting in the higher-res screen, I've also really started leveraging Spaces and Expose - so much so, that I thought I could get by with a lower res screen.

I put the idea to the test by borrowing a friend's MBAir (rev A) for a couple of weeks - and I can honestly say, I'm fine with the lower res screen, as long as I can keep zipping around in Spaces (I plug it into extra buttons on my arc mouse).

So, long story short, I'm expecting to get a 13" when the Arrandale update hits the street, as long as they can drive a 30" monitor (which the only do poorly now). And I'm still hoping for a higher res screen. The pixel density on my Frankenbook is still lower than an iPhone. Pixel Density = Good.

9. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I had a 15 inch Macbook Pro for four years. The logic board died about a month ago, so I had to use my flatmate's white C2D Macbook (13") for several things I had to get done for uni. The 13" screen (on either Macbook or Macbook Pro) is definitely way too small for me.. Okay, let's reword this: the resolution on the 13" is not high enough for me. Everything felt like a pain as it was too restricted by the lower resolution. If they would upgrade the 13" screen to higher resolution panels, I would make the switch.. otherwise: never!!

This is also the reason why I think there is some truth in what some people say, that it's not a real 'pro' laptop.. A lot of professional applications need the higher resolution.

10. Cali3350 macrumors regular

This surprises me. As a programmer id think you'd find a 800 vertical res very difficult.

11. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

13"ers aren't pro machines.

kthxbai.

love,
    -goon

12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yes they are....they say macbook pro right on them.....

13. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

mine says god on it... what now?

14. enberg macrumors regular

Not really. But I don't use a big fat IDE or toolbars or any stuff that takes up lots of space.

15. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

your a liar......

thats whats now.

16. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

'Pro' in the 13" range is short for prostitute, they want to please everybody. If you go upmarket, those are pros too, but you get some very impressive ones. You also get more sl@ts.

17. Reviresco macrumors newbie

Went from a 17" Powerbook to 13" MBP. Very happy. 17" is not portable enough if your moving it around all day everyday. Is it a Pro machine, broadly i'd say yes. If they offered more options and you could max out a 13" then i would.

18. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

That's one thing on my mind at the moment , i really like the mobility of the 13" macbook pro, but will it give me decent spec's ?:confused:

I'm gonna ask myself this question when the macbook pro refresh comes out , i might get the 17" MBP for it's high end spec's, if they are gonna make minor hardware changes to the 13" MBP.

Although i might get both lol xD problem solved. :D

19. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

Was happy with my 13" unibody until I realized the 2" really come in handy more often than not when on the road. The graphics in the 15" even if they aren't on par with other companies' products is still better than the 9400m and with the move to new graphics in the upcoming batch I expect the divide between the 13" and 15" to expand.

Basically, not happy with decision, nor completely displeased. But my next lapop upgrade will be the 15"

20. Steve Jobs. macrumors regular

I have a 15inch and i could not imagine working on anything smaller.

15inchs is the PERFECT size for me.

21. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Bad comeback. I truly hope you're reason for it not being a "pro" machine is because of lack of dedicated graphics.

22. erasr macrumors 6502

Like the poster near the top I too have an iMac 24" but I'm going to sell it for a 13" Mbp or 15".

Why? Well I'm so indecisive it's crazy! I originally bought 15" mbp, then sent it back to get the iMac. I was happy at first and did this because I wasn't used to widescreen laptops. But now I am sick of sitting in a spare room to use the iMac. Plus, I want to move it around, need something on the go.

So, the screen space is wasted on me, I have looked at the 13" and found it's fine. I would probably stick with your 15" for now unless u really really need easier portability.

23. hundert macrumors regular

hundert

Freud also said cocaine was the best thing on earth.

24. Nein01 macrumors 6502

Nein01

do all 13" mbp users have poor grammar?

;)

25. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I went from a 2.4 15" MBP to a 2.53 13" - and even though mine spends most of its time docked to my 24" ACD, I do miss the extra screen real estate when I'm trying to edit or use InDesign, Photoshop, etc.

I've looked hard at the 17", but I just think it's TOO big. If you're a 17" owner, maybe you can convince me otherwise.

I think the 15" MBP is close to the ideal laptop. Maybe the next update (I'm hanging onto hope for March!) will drop the price a little and I'll spring for another. I am regretting having sold my 2.4!