Anyone go from a 5 to 5S is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Wicked1, May 9, 2014.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I am looking at the 5S because of the better Camera and the fingerprint sensor for work, they need our phones secure for corp email.

Is the 5S that much better than the 5 honestly, looking for replies from those who went from a 5-5S. Planning on getting two this weekend because of the camera and I need a larger capacity now, not interested in the 6 yet, so no need for me to wait.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I went from the 5 to the 5s, and Touch ID and the camera improvements are worth it to me.

Besides that, there's not a whole lot of a difference, but I don't buy much, so my fiancee (soon to be wife) doesn't give me too much grief for spending a couple hundred bucks each year to buy the newest iPhone (while selling my old one).

If you can afford to do it, go ahead. Just remember that the 6 is right around the corner, and you might deal with the hassle then of selling the 5s to buy the 6.

3. hypervish89 macrumors regular

I bought the 5s on launch day upgraded from the 5. In all honestly, I should have waited for the iPhone 6. Yes, the iPhone 5s is an improvement but it isn't radically different. I knew this going in, but I wanted a change. I'll hopefully be waiting in line again this year for the iPhone 6.

4. truelies macrumors regular

5. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

I did. I really do like the 5s. While performance wasn't as drastic as I thought it would, it's still a great phone. I really enjoy TouchID and cannot go back to another phone without it. I do actually like Space Gray over Black Slate color as well.

6. BeeJee macrumors 6502

I went from a 5 to 5s and find it to be a waste of money. TouchID really is awesome but there are much better deals out there on the 5's. Im probably going to sell the 5s to "downgrade" back to a regular 5

7. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

Not worth it. Same exact phone with the exception of Touch ID, which actually fades and stops working effectively over time (at least it has on my 5S).

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

That's flat out not true. The 5s may LOOK the same as the iPhone 5, but it has some pretty significant performance upgrades. The CPU and GPU are faster. The camera has better low light performance, and the two tone flash is a neat concept(although I've never tried it out to confirm that it does anything). It also supports more LTE bands than the 5, which is important if you travel outside of the US.

9. BeeJee macrumors 6502

For most people, the 5 and 5s are 95% the same. They may have different internals, but if the consumer doesn't take advantage of the differences there is no point. My uncle got the 5s and doesn't even use Touch ID, he barely uses data, he really wouldn't see any difference if he was handed a 5. I regret getting the 5s in all honestly, especially since I dig the black more than space gray.

10. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

I got the iPhone 5 at launch, and loved it, but over about 9 months I got bored and got an Android. I wanted an iPad RMini, so I traded in my iPhone 5 and some other things to pay for it. I hated myself for selling the 5 from there after.

So the first of this year AT&T was running a deal to take $200 trade in credit for the iPhone 4s. Which is what I paid for the phone, so I did it, and upgraded to the iPhone 5s. Honestly I could not be happier with the upgrade. Since day one I have had no issues with TouchID, and the phone is just fast. If you are looking for great performance improvements. You really want notice any with this phone, but if TouchID really interest you. I would say go for it. I think that alone was worth the upgrade.

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Could have been worth it when the 5S launched...but this late in the cycle and with the 6 around the corner....nope!

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

So you're saying that the physical appearance of the phone is more important than the actual performance? Gotcha. :rolleyes:

13. nzalog macrumors 6502

Definitely not at this point in time. I did buy a iPhone 5s right after the iPhone 5 but it was right on release and i even sold my old phone so it barely cost me anything. Now however... I'd really just wait for the release of the 6... worst comes to worse you don't like it and save money with the older model. I would not go based off the rumors too much.

14. BeeJee macrumors 6502

Why don't you read the second sentence in that quote :rolleyes:

15. juaenima macrumors newbie

I had the 5 and now the 5S. There's not a big difference, just the Touch ID, the camera improvements. But they don't worth a change.

16. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I had to move from AT&T to Verizon so I had to upgrade( darn! :rolleyes: ) the only noticible difference was the touch Id, if that is a feature that you would like I would say go for it.

17. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

"signifiant performance upgrades" you gotta be kidding me, if i give u 2 phones without telling u which is which, i grantee u wont notice the speed difference.

18. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

No difference with all that 64 bit power?

19. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Maybe you wouldn't notice, but I certainly would.

20. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I went from 5 to 5S and difference is minimal. Camera was great in both. I had the 5S since launch and honestly till I started typing this right one I forgot all about the two tone flash featue. As with any other iPhone I've had or camera I rarely ever use flash.

Touch ID is great. That's the best part of the 5S to me. to do again i may have stayed with the 5 longer.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

If you are running some brand new heavy on graphics game you'll probably notice it. And as time goes on you'll likely see it in newer apps and certainly with newer iOS versions.

22. avanpelt macrumors 68020

I went from the 5 to the 5s solely for Touch ID. I was entering the passcode on my 5 dozens of times a day. Touch ID works on the first try for me 98% of the time which is a big improvement over entering my passcode 40-50 times a day.

23. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I have both, they are set up identically and in everyday use they are identical for me. When I put them side by side and do identical tasks, they appear to run at exactly the same speed unless I really stare and then sometimes the 5s looks like something might have finished a few milliseconds quicker.

There is one big difference though: the 5 screen is 10% dimmer so it's much easier on the eyes when I have it mounted on my dashboard at night. My 5 is therefore always my nighttime phone.

24. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Ever since the first iPhone was released, I've always upgraded to the newest one. While the "S" upgrades don't really change the phone much, aesthetically. When I went from the 5 to 5S, I really liked the new features it had, so it become something that I wanted to have instead of just upgrading to the new just because. The TouchID is amazing, it's worked since day one and never had an issue with it. Also, I love the gold color, the improved camera and flash.

25. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I'll sell you my iPhone 5 if you like. Send me a pm. AT&T model 32GB and jail broken. Very good condition. I need to unload it to find my iPhone 6.