Anyone go from Space gray sport to stainless steel?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by keatth, Aug 16, 2015.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

i have space gray sport and I am considering upgrading to the stainless steel model and wanted to see if anyone went through the same thing and if you're happy with the outcome. Or anyone go from stainless steel to the sport as well? Discuss.

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

There have been plenty of posts about people starting with a sport and going to stainless steel. It really is a personal thing, but I do like the look of the SGS but I went with SS and I am very impressed with the look, the feel, the weight and the design. I think the regular sport looks kind of cheap (personal opinion only) and the SGS almost looks like the SS Black model. I think there are even posts from people going from SS to Sport. First Gen product might push people to stay with the low end but I really love the SS.

3. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I went from a 38mm Space Grey Sport to a 42mm Stainless Steel and am quite happy with my decision. The "shininess" of the Watch might be off-putting to some but I really enjoy it and think that it looks more upscale this way. I've worn the SS for much longer than I did the SGS so I've banged it on a bunch more stuff accidentally but it has held up well so far and I've yet to see any hugely noticeable scratches or dings and the screen is still spotless.

4. HOODFIELD macrumors newbie

I was in the same boat as you. I bought the SGS because I really liked the black look. Wore it 3 days and realized if I'm going to be wearing this watch every single day I'll need some more versatility. Sure you can put different bands on the SGS but in my opinion it just doesn't look right. Plus the black just doesn't look good if your wearing a platinum wedding band. I exchanged for the SS with Milanese Loop which is the best value in my opinion because you can buy a cheap knock-off sport band from amazon for $10 (If you need a sport band). Sure you can buy knock off Milanese Loops too but when wearing it as a dress watch I prefer to have the real-thing. Go for it the difference is pretty significant IMO.

5. mypyh4ooo macrumors regular

I think its more of a personal preference. I can't think of anything worse than a scratched bezel of a stainless steel watch and before anyone goes on to say that the SS doesn't show scratches easily is clearly lying.

6. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I originally purchased the Space Gray Sport model. Since I really liked the Apple watch after buying it, I then decided to go with the SS model. First I purchased the BSB SS, but then I really digged the Space Black SS. So I went ahead and purchased the SB SS and so far love it.

It's been a while since I had it and no scratches, marks, dints. It is pristine clean as I had it since Day 1.

7. nathanalf macrumors regular

nathanalf

I've been kind of wrestling with this as well. Preordered the SGS the morning preorders opened, and have been loving it. I agree that it looks a bit more cheap in comparison to the SS models, but once you switch the band out (I got the black leather loop) it really classes the watch up a lot. Since getting the new band I'm even more content with my purchase, and any doubts about going with the cheaper option for gen 1 were completely gone.

Now that I know I love having this watch, and will be wanting it in the long term I will most likely spring for the stainless steel model when I want to replace mine (2-3 years down the road). But knowing the only difference is the materials, and the experience is the same helps me to be fine with what I have for now.

8. SG94 macrumors member

SG94

I'm another that has done this.
    Bought the SGS and within the 14 days swapped it out for a SS.
    Very happy with my swap, bought some straps and swap and change the look to fit my mood or activity.
    :)

9. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I exchanged my SG for a SS and so happy I did. The SG was scratching too easily and there is nothing one can do to fix it. Scratches on the SS can be removed with a cape cod cloth. Every time I use one my watch looks brand new again. Scratches on SS are a non issue. All the watches scratch but the SS is the only one that can be buffed off (apart from the gold one which can also be buffed)

10. mypyh4ooo macrumors regular

Fair enough , but there is only so many times you can buff them out over a period of time... correct? Don't get me wrong it's lovely however my job is very physical and so far not had any issues with my SGS.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I totally love the sports gray, and I wouldn't exchange it for the SS. My partner got gifted an SS watch, but he exchanged it for the sports gray. We both just prefer the look of the sports grey over the SS. But it's a totally personal thing. If you prefer the SS and can afford the difference, totally go for it.

12. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

I doubt it. It's only a light removal of steel to buff it. Hardly like filing a plank of wood is it?

13. mypyh4ooo macrumors regular

Still it is removing a tiny layer each time :) Never mind , It was too expensive for me at the time so i settled for the SGS but have the Black LL so it makes it that little bit different.

14. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

3 months later and I wish I would have sprung for the stainless :(

Now deciding how to best go about trading up.

15. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Stainless steel is easy to remove scratches from. Sure it takes a bit off, but thats like the sun giving off a bit of energy: it would take a very long time of constant buffing to start making a visible difference.

I bet you could polish up every few weeks and you'd be fine for the lifespan of this watch, which let's face it, is going to be 2 to 3 years max... 4 if you REALLY push it. We aren't talking about a Rolex or something that you're going to pass down to your kids.

And on the other hand, when you do inevitably get a ding or scratch on your space gray, you will not even have the option of buffing it or fixing it.

When I bought my watch, I intended to return it within 14 days as I just wanted to play with it. Trying it on in the store, I must say the SS looked way better. I ended up keeping the watch and I am glad I went for the SS.

Here's why its worth the extra $200 to me:

1. Never have to worry about scratches on the screen and don't have to wear an ugly screen protector.

2. Looks fantastic with about 95% of bands out there, versus the space gray which looks pretty bad with almost every band except leather and sports. For that matter, SS will also match more jewelry that you may wear. I personally don't but it could be important if someone wears a metal ring or silver necklace, etc.

3. Would not be embarrassed to wear it to a fancy place. Looks more like jewelry than a gadget versus the sports which definitely looks like a gadget. Actually makes me proud to wear one.

4. I do have the option to buff out any scratches, which means in 1, 2, or 3 years I can make sure it looks brand new should something happen to it.

16. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

i love the space gray so much, but hate how the face is so weak. I will keep mine since I have apple care+., I wish they would offer SG with Sapphire Face. Major mistake by apple, and its my only complaint...

17. kanselmo macrumors member

I bought a Space Gray Sport to see if I would like the Apple Watch. So far (6 weeks) I love it. If I'm still into it when a new version comes out - or if my watch gets damaged and I happen to have the cash - I'll go for a stainless steel one. I really like the SG Sport, but the SS is a lot easier to dress up or dress down. I like leather straps, and the SG Sport only looks good with black leather in my opinion. I'd love to swap out for brown on occasions.

18. jplusc macrumors 6502a

I made the switch, the only regret I have is not doing it sooner. I like the SS much more than the SGS.

19. FrisbeeK9, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

20. Mojopin macrumors regular

Mojopin

I looked at it this way when I upgraded from SG to SS. If you get a scratch on the casing of the SS you can make it better 98% of the time by polishing or completely remove it. If you are unlucky enough to get marks/damage on the SG casing there is not much you can do and the contrast of SG to lighter silver underneath is unsightly IMO. I have seen about 3-4 pics of damage to SG that shows the lighter metal under the SG coating. Granted there's many SG owners with no damage as well so it can come down to luck and care.

I am OCD about my gadgets and I def have scratches on my SS casing but honestly I don't notice or see them at all, the "shine" of the SS reflects so much that the scratches are really not easy to see IMHO. Unless you sit there starting at the casing at certain angles/lights but I don't do that.

21. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I was going to preorder the SGS until I see the watches in store and decided that the SS look so much better, even with the same black sport bands.

22. BSG75 macrumors regular

BSG75

I have the SGS and like it. There are times I wish that I would have went with either the Silver Sport or the SS because there are many more choices when it comes to bands. IMO, the sport bands and some leather bands work with the SGS, but the steel link and milanese loop just don't match well with the space grey.

Since the watch was version 1, I went with the least expensive option. Now, that I see and appreciate what the watch can do, I'll probably go with a SS model in version 2.

23. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

A lot of people went with the Sports due to it being version 1. I got a feeling Apple will under-produce SS the next time around because they won't be expecting that so many people want it.

24. the future macrumors 6502a

The SGS is really fine, but the SS looks and feels like a premium product. Plus saphire screen and more bands that look good with it. Once the SGS convinced me of the functionality of the AW in general, the switch to SS was very obvious to me.

25. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I considered the SGS when the pre-orders went live, due to it being Gen 1. However, I went with the SS. Yeah it's Gen 1, yeah I may only keep it for a year, however I want to be HAPPY with it for that year. Screen has been knocked on door handles, radiators, car engine, bricks, not a mark. Case had a few light scratches that polished out with about 30 seconds effort with a Cape Cod cloth. Looks brand new. I stopped babying it in the second week as it's tough enough.