Anyone going to Devil's Tower this weekend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Makosuke, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

This is a weird thing, and I wasn't sure if I should post it here, the photography board, or the Marketplace--mods, please move it if I've chosen wrong.

I'm trying to find someone to take a picture of the sunset from the base of Devil's Tower, and I'm willing to pay for it.

Thing is, I was there yesterday taking photos for a project of mine, and there was a gorgeous sunset that was exactly what I had gone up to get, except wouldn't you know it, my [long string of expletives omitted] camera battery died literally one shot before I got to the perfect spot. It was a combination of the best and worst luck I think I have ever had--felt like winning the lottery then getting hit by a bus after walking out of the office with your winnings because I didn't look both ways before crossing the street.

Sadly, due to time and money constraints, I can't try again today, and I live 1000 miles away so I won't be back any time soon. Since this 3-day weekend is a free admission day (usually $10 per vehicle), and the weather is good, I'm hoping someone reading this who has a half-decent camera (a cheap DSLR would be great, but I'd even take a compact or iPhone if that's all you've got) and was planning on being up there would be willing to take a photo or three for me, for which I would gladly pay.

The photos I'm looking for are from a spot maybe a couple hundred yards up the trail from the parking lot at the base; the trail (going counterclockwise around the tower) makes a left turn at a spot where there's a bench and a flat rock, overlooking a valley with a big dead tree nearby on the right. What I want is two photos of the sunset looking out over the valley from that spot--ideally one with the sunset properly exposed, and one with the valley exposed properly (that is, point the camera at the sunset before doing the half-press exposure lock, and then point it at the valley before doing the same).

If you have someone with you, I'd pay extra for a couple of shots of them sitting on that rock looking at the sunset, one from behind and one from as front as you can get without falling off the hill.

I'm driving all day today, so I won't be able to immediately reply, but if anyone is willing and able, post or PM me or email me (mwm@taigadesign.com). I can PayPal you any reasonable amount, or if you don't like PayPal, work out something else--mail a check, hand you cash if you live in Humboldt County CA, whatever.

Given how late in the season it is I'm not optimistic, but fingers crossed.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Many years ago I had this urge to sculpt a replica of Devil's Tower on my pool table, but the feeling passed. :)