Anyone going to hold off on the New MBP??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Sep 16, 2008.

  1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

    sukanas

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #1
    i was wondering, the common idea is that the first generation of a new product will probably run into a lot of errors


    so for those 'waiting' for a new mbp, are you guys gonna jump on it RIGHT AWAY? or wait for the guinea pigs to take the first bait?
     
  2. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #2
    i dont see it as a first revision product, not any different than the jump to Santa Rosa...new case? whats going to happen, is the alumnium going to fall apart? dont think so, G4 --> intel first revision, intel-->intel with no major new features not first revision
     
  3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #3
    Already skipped it. Bought a used 2.16 MBP and passed my SR 2.2 MBP to my wife. Next fall/winter I will probably replace the 2.16 ... maybe ... and pass that down to our daughter.

    Cheers,
     
  4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #4
    In my personal ventures through the MBP line, the "bugs" are still not worked out. In fact, they are still popping up... Maybe a case redesign will address some of these issues (that were not a problem for the powerbooks in basically the same case...) I've had to send back for the same repair twice now (logic board) and this is a replacement computer. I'm thinking I will wait until the new models come out and request a replacement. Very tired of my current model's problems.
     
  5. ndstrenge macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2008
    #5
    this forum has heeps of talk about high running temps and voltage running through the case of the current MBPs.

    It appears to me that there are plenty of bugs to work out with this new revision... although I'm not an owner.

    I'm in the market for a high-end laptop, and am very eagerly waiting for the new MBPs to get released. I would love to have Leopard and Vista on one machine. (as long as it doesn't heat up my workspace and shock my wrists.)

    Dell just dropped their prices on the XPS 1730 by nearly a grand (likely due to a new release soon) and it's really hard not hopping on that beast. It's just so fricking big. :confused:
     
  6. Brien macrumors 68020

    Brien

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2008
    #6
    I'm gonna get one. And Applecare, so if it does have issues I'll be covered.
     
  7. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

    SchneiderMan

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    Location:
    Apple state
  8. queshy macrumors 68040

    queshy

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2005
    #8
    calm down everyone - we don't even know if/when apple will ever release a case redesign! It could stay the same with just lower price/speed bump for years more (even though it has been a while already...).
     
  9. Aranince macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2007
    Location:
    California
    #9
    2x I've been waiting for this update for a long time now. I'm really hoping for a price drop so they can be more competitive.
     
  10. felt. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #10
    im due for an upgrade this 2.5ghz just isnt cutting it anymore ahhhh!!! :apple:
    hopefully my porn will download faster with a case re-design
     
  11. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #11
    I'll probably up... as nehalem isn't due for a year after the montevina mbp, and montevina might switch back to ATi.
     
  12. ospasha macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2008
    #12
    i really dont think their will be a re-desgin, or at least it will be after the macbook new design.
    Me myself i just bought myself a new MBP 2.5 with 4GB and 512 MB invida
    its my fist experience with mac and i love it :D
     
  13. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2008
    #13
    Nope. Assuming I don't have other plans, I'm getting mine the day they come out. Rev A issues be damned! That's what AppleCare is for! :D
     
  14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #14
    I'm Waiting For Rev. B™


    There were a few problems going from 15" PB to 15" MBP. There were issues going from 15" Ti PB to 15" Al PB, and the hardware itself barely changed.

    How about iPhone 2G to iPhone 3G? People complained about all sorts of things, even with regards to hardware issues not related at all to the 3G signal. Similar case, yet still problems.

    I had issues with my rev. A MacBook. I ended up receiving a rev. C MacBook from Apple for free, but quite honestly, it has been 2 years and 3 months since I purchased my (original rev. A) MacBook, and it's time for me to get a laptop with higher resolution.
     
  15. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

    sukanas

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #15
    im just curious
    im planning to get a rev.a


    if im in the year of the already given applecare but i purchase the additional two years of applecare, is it possible that apple provides better attention
    ie. better hopes of a replacement rather than repair.. etc?
     
  16. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 15, 2008
    Location:
    Always in a path of a Hurricane!
  17. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

    Akira1980

    Joined:
    May 27, 2007
    Location:
    San Diego
    #17
    Just like the car, second year is always better. I would wait for the Rev.B.
     
  18. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

    DoFoT9

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore
  19. steamed.hams macrumors 6502

    steamed.hams

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2008
    Location:
    Miami, FL
    #19
    +1 !
     
  20. Chic0 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #20
    LOL...........I'd say that justified reason for getting new one:p

    But yep, I'll be snapping up a Rev A. Don't care and besides I have no choice as my Powerbook G4 is on it's last legs. Will be getting it with Applecare, so s'all good!
     
  21. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #21
    Apart from the fast there already the wait list thread...

    Sure I'll wait for the new MBP. I need to encode my pr0n faster on the go anyways.
     
  22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #22
    i'm gonna wait a month or so before jumping on board my powerbook is still chugging away. Then i'll have to see if i should sell my imac and get a external monitor or keep the imac... umm
     
  23. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

    drewsof07

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2006
    Location:
    Ohio
    #23
    But just think how bada$$ you would be for the first year :p LOL

    Seriously though, those people who are lucky enough to upgrade their computers every ~1yr (read: "rich") will have a Rev.A product if it means having the latest & greatest, despite bugs then buy the Rev.B soon after.

    If you've been saving $ for the past year waiting on the best time to buy, a Rev.A product is probably not for you (unless you NEED it).
     
  24. MVApple macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    #24
    I haven't decided on which mac laptop to get, but it will be my first mac. I'm not going to drop money on the old one when the new one is just around the corner though. If Apple had some major price drops the money saved may have encouraged me to go with an old one, but theres rumors of Apple cutting back profits to gain bigger market share so even with the expired iPod deal I don't see the value in buying an old machine.

    If rev a has problems hopefully they will be minor, but I'll be getting Apple Care and I'll have a backup laptop so I'll be fine.
     
  25. elpenguino macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2008
    Location:
    Florida
    #25
    I'd love to get a new one after the revision. But if I hate it, at least the price on the previous version will be lower. So it's kinda a win-win.
     

Share This Page