Anyone gone from a 13" MBA to rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bp1000, Nov 8, 2013.

1. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I'm considering replacing my portable option and currently have a 13" MBA from 2011. It is still the perfect machine for my mobile needs so why the upgrade?

My daughter could do with a decent laptop (than the pile of crap windows vista thing we have) to use for school work so perhaps a good time.

Anyone gone from a MBA to the rMBP 13" ? Any views on this move?

I know that the QC-i7 15" runs rings about the 13" DC-i5 but i have a Haswell iMac for the bulk. So i do ideally need something portable as it will be used on trains, to and from meetings etc.

I haven't seen the new thinner lighter rMBP 13" - how does it compare to the Air in the flesh? On paper its only marginally thicker and heavier? I know the Air really is the ultimate portable but the rMBP is so close now and that screen does sound really nice to have.

thanks

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Do it. Everyone on here will recommend the 13" rMBP over the MBA because it's really the better option. It's only half a pound heavier and you're getting a more powerful machine + a way superior screen.

You should only go for the MBA if you absolutely need that battery life. The rMBP actually has a smaller footprint than the MBA, and is just as portable.

3. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

+1, the 13" rMBP is the way to go as said above; my wife has a 2012 MBA and my daughter and I have 13 inch 2012 rMBP's and the difference in screen is like night and day IMHO (Still, my wife prefers the MBA form factor, so go figure.... guess she's will get her hands on a retina when they release a rMBA)

4. kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

I returned late 2012 rMBP 13 base configuaration that I bought when new 2013 came out. I bought it for $1149 plus $183 for Applecare. In its place i bought new 2013 rMPB 13 with 2.4/8/256 for $1399 plus $183 for Apple Care (gotta love govt emp discount) at Apple Retail Store. And I absolutely love it. However I was thinking that it might be too much for me and I was worried about tracpad/keyboard freezes and possible IR. So, I ordered basic MBA 13 with 8GB ram upgrade. Price after discount was $1139 for machine and $183 for Apple Care. I am running both machines right to determine which one to keep. MBA does everything what I want to do, so I could return rMPB and save few bucks. However when comparing screens between both machines MBA is downright discusting to look at. When comparing them side by side, me personally I dont really notice any difference in weight, but again I am not carrying it in backpack to school or work everyday. So in weight comparison, there is not that much difference for me. Footprint is totally different story. I use my laptop as portable device so it spends most time on my lap on the couch or in the bed at night. Here the rMBP shines for me. It is noticably smaller. If you are to use your computer on the desk footprint is not the issue, however if you want to use it in bed or on your lap, rMPB is better, at least for me. So in size comparison, at least for me difference for me between them is a wash. Battery life is way better on MBA, so for me that would be better, but that screen on rMBP is way better. If I have never bought rMBP I probably would never looked back. Now I have only 3 more days to decide because return window on rMBP is closing. Decision to make is tough. MBA is cheaper and adequate with so so screen. Initial issues with trackpad and keybard on rMBP were fixed with the update, however it is more expensive and I am still worried about IR. I have apple care for it so I am leaning towards keeping rMPB and returning MBA. Last thing that I want want to mention is wi-fi. It is faster on rMBP, despite both of them having the same specs for it. I am not sure why is that. I will make final decision soon. This is my firts Mac, so I want experience to be perfect. So far it is on rMBP.

5. Mac.User macrumors 6502

I went from a 13in Air to a 1 year newer 13in Retina. I did not loose any mobility and gained a lot more performance with a better display. I didn't find any downside.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

And I actually prefer the design of the rMBP. But maybe that's just me.

7. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

My 13" rMBP is currently in repair at the Apple Store, so I've borrowed a 13" 2013 MBA.

The only advantage I see to the MBA is the 13 hours of battery life, it's a blessing! I do however miss the quality of the screen on my rMBP, can't wait to get it back. Go for the rMBP, you'll love it. For the casual user, there's very little practical benefit to the thinness of the MBA over the rMBP.

The late 2013 rMBP is only 1 millimitre thinner, you won't notice the difference in reference to previous models.

8. RobboMB macrumors newbie

Nope, not just you!

I toyed with getting an air before going for the 13" pro but i actually prefer the squarer design to the taper of the air. Not sure what it is but i guess everything being symmetrical all the way round on the pro helps keep my OCD in check ;)

The smaller footprint on the pro was a pretty big selling point for me aswell, trains are pretty cramped at the best of times, so every little helps!

9. dizmonk macrumors regular

I tested several configurations of the 13" Air and the 13" rMBP and am very happy that I went with the rMBP. My attraction to the Air was the battery life. In real-world testing I got 8 hours on the Air and 6 hours on the rMBP. Given that small difference... I went with the more powerful, better screen Retina.

10. kawalerzysta macrumors member

kawalerzysta

After some deliberation I have decided to keep rMPB that I have discussed earlier. Love that machine. MBA is being restored and tomorrow I will say good bye to it at Apple Store.

11. redkamel macrumors 6502

I did, actually went the 15inch

The MBA was more portable and I could toss it around on couches and beds with no problems

The 15 rMBP is definitely bigger, but not much. Its just as easy to carry around; its as if I have a novel in my bag with my old MBA. Whats not as easy is tossing it around or using it in weird positions. I would say the increase in screen size and retina is definitely worth the weight/footprint penalty (unless you fly in airplanes a lot; the rMBP is a bigger PITA to take as a carry on and I always worry about it).

I would say if you are thinking about the 15, you will likely be ok as long as you understand the computer will be a little bigger. Its about the same weight at the classic 13 MBP from a few years ago!

If you are thinking of the 13, the difference should be negligible.

I would only get another air for cost reasons or if I wanted the slimmest, lightest laptop.

12. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Honestly I don't understand how people are saying that rmbp is as good as portable with mba. Lay on the couch with the air and is a totally different story with the 13 retina which is like a fat brick compared to air. Every kilogram mar counts and half a pound difference is huge when you use your laptop in every way and corner of your home.