Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey,

I'm going to get this for my iPad 2.

I understand that you can plug in your camera's SD card to view photos. I was just wondering if this could be my sole accessory. Ie I take the iPad with my Camera, take photo's, plug in the card and then delete photo's I don't want anymore from the SD card via the iPad?

Basically my question is, can you delete photos from the SD card using the iPad. :D

Thanks a lot.

biosci

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
Chicagoland, IL
For my Panasonic LX5, iPad 2 will import both the jpeg and RAW files AND display both of them on the screen. It will also import in MotionJPEG video clips from that camera but not the AVCHD.

When import is finished, it gives you the option to delete the SD card.

HOWEVER, my motion JPEG movies did NOT show up in iMovie which is a real bummer right now.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I don't think you have the option to selectively delete the photos on the card. You can only delete all the card contents. On the iPad, you can selectively delete photos. It is a very useful accessory. Not having to import to your computer then sync with the iPad is a real timesaver. Well worth the exorbitant price apple charges.

PriceH

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2010
Seattle, WA
You can view all the photos on the card via iPad, select which ones you want to be imported onto the iPad, and then delete or clear the card via your camera. That seems to be a pretty quick workflow for me.

The camera kit is probably the best accessory for the iPad in my opinion. You can use the USB dongle for lots of other accessories like keyboards, midi controllers/keyboards, etc. Apple doesn't openly advertise this "feature."

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
My question about using this iPad for your digital storage device in the field is does the iPad in any way covert the image before storing it in the memory on the iPad2? Or is it storing the original image files, untouched, in the same format as it left the camera?

I got a bad feeling that Apple converts or optimizes these image files for storage on the iPad. If so the iPad is useless for storage purposes.

Does not matter to me as I carry more that enough SD cards so that I do not need to dump them in the field.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I was mainly just going to import the photo's and then directly upload them to Flickr from the camera. :) Perhaps some light editing and then upload them to flickr and delete them from the camera card and iPad.

Thanks for all the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.