anyone got their iphone connected to an exchange server?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by beetnik, Jul 14, 2008.

1. beetnik macrumors newbie

Want to replace my blackberry for an iphone, but somehow i doubt it will work anywhere near as well since there is no corporate exchange to mobile me connectivity like the blackberry bes server. But i would love to be proved wrong, maybe this is why the cisco VPN is part of the v2 software.

I guess i have some time to figure this out as iphones are sold out in all my local 02 stores.

2. skeg8 macrumors newbie

I have my iPhone hooked up to our exchange servers and it works flawlessly. In fact, I often get emails on my phone before they drop into my inbox in outlook! I would have to say that this is by far the best exchange experience I have had on a phone!

3. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Yeap!

Works great, I have my phone set to push=off and fetch=15mins for optimal battery life. :]

4. beetnik thread starter macrumors newbie

hey skeg,

thats great news, are you connecting over 2g/3g or is it wireless lan?

Tom

5. alexboy45 macrumors regular

i have my phone connected to the exchange server and i to get the email an my phone quicker than in outlook. the puch email will only work over the 2g/3g network but if you are in a celular blackspot with wifi you can still do a send/recieve

6. pugnut macrumors 6502a

I hook you to Exchange and works just as fast as my BB, no issues with speed or service.

Side by side there is not 1 difference

7. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I have Exchange setup for my work email as well and it works flawlessly.

8. markgamber macrumors 6502

Same as above; tastes great, less filling.

I don't use SSL which made it a two step process for the iPhone (set up account, wait for it to fail, then go into account and turn off SSL). Still, that took an extra minute or two and works perfectly.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

As I mentioned in another thread, this is correct behavior: Exchange Server sends Direct Push notifications before it sends the MAPI notifications that Outlook and Entourage use to know they've got mail. So your iPhone (or any other Windows Mobile device, for that matter) will usually receive new mail before your desktop e-mail application does.

10. MuzakaEklekta macrumors regular

Exchange is faster than MobileMe for me. What a joke.

11. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

The only problem I have with exchange access is the subfolders don't synch or push.

I have a bunch of folders underneath the inbox with rules based routing to sort things as they come in. These folders don't get pushed...I have to manually synch them up. A real PITA since I have a seperate folder for my boss's emails...

12. jalpert macrumors 6502

One large problem with the exchange support

One large problem with the exchange support is the fact that you cannot search email. Blackberry has a fairly complex email search feature which users seem to utilize at least occasionally. If Apple where to get on that, then I don't see a single thing that BB's do that Iphone doesn't...

13. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Why is that a joke? Microsoft has been selling and developing Microsoft Exchange for over 10 years now... I would think they'd know something about how to deliver e-mail quickly and efficiently. Not to mention, your Exchange Server is probably being used by a relatively small number of people, versus MobileMe's servers which are being used to handle many, many more people's e-mail and other info.

(Fair disclosure: I used to work for Microsoft. And I have an Exchange Server at home. Adding ActiveSync to the iPhone is definitely the best thing Apple could have done with the new software.)

14. markgamber macrumors 6502

I have an Exchange server at home also and Apple adding ActiveSync is exactly why, after several years, I finally dropped WinMo and bought an iPhone. Seems to me that while the iPhone is still a "smartphone for housewives", it's also being adjusted to serve as a pretty decent business phone. This was one such adjustment.

15. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I have hooked up 3 iphones without a problem to our exchange server. Works like a champ with Push email. Much better than BlackBerrys.

16. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Turn push back on. It will give you optimal battery life over checking every 15 min. Push does not require to hit the server with a data connection like checking every 15 min does. It waits to receive a ping when you get a new email message, then it checks.

17. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Push also works over wifi.

18. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Can I ask a really dumb, noobie question?

Does one need MobileMe or the AT&T business plan to get Outlook to work on their iPhone?

19. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not always, though.

Take a look at the following article for a very good discussion of how Direct Push works, including why Push and WiFi don't play nice:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/04/03/424028.aspx

If you are testing whether Push is working with your particular combination of Exchange Server and iPhone, I recommend you turn off the WiFi on your phone during the first part of the test process. Once you confirm Push is working correctly, then you can turn WiFi back on and see if Push still works. Just remember that firewalls and other non-cellular network components can get in the way of Push working.

20. alexboy45 macrumors regular

according to microsoft when the push email was released push will only work over the mobile network. If you are connected to wifi it is possable the email is still going over the mobile network. one way to find out is by disableing the phone part of the iphone (if possable) and testing it then. i know you can do a send and recieve in the email via wifi but push i am not sure on.

thanks ClayJ

From the site
    3. Is Direct Push supported over Wi-Fi?

No. Direct Push requires a cellular data connection. It is not supported over Wi-Fi or Desktop Passthrough(when the device is cradled).

Due to hardware limitations, Wi-Fi cannot go into standby mode and receive notifications. So in order to support Direct Push over Wi-Fi, the Wi-Fi connection would have to be kept alive which in turn would drain the battery very rapidly.

21. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i cant seem to get exchange working. in outlook i simply enter my user name and my server. when i try to do it on the iphone it asks for my address, which i enter and then it also asks for my username and in greyed out text before i select to enter my username it says "domain/user". what does it mean by domain?

22. digitalfx macrumors 6502a

digitalfx

I have Exchange working great on 4 iphones, one 3G and three 1.0 versions.

The only issue I have is that SENT emails (from iphone only) appear on the Exchange Server (and local PC) as a garbled mess. There is no subject and the body is filled with characters.

On the IPhone SENT folder (Exchange) they look correct.

I am on SBS 2003 SP2

23. alexboy45 macrumors regular

if you are running windows xp in the office it is the logon to option under the username and password on the login screen

Attached Files:

24. alexboy45 macrumors regular

it looks like i am using the same config as you and my sent items seem ok. it does send them in plain text.

25. Richard Bleiche macrumors newbie

Richard Bleiche

Mobile Me and inability to see calendar and contacts

I just got the iPhone 3G. I have mobile me and want to sync my PC at work (where all my contacts and calendar are) with the mobile me cloud, and hence my iphone and my Mac at home.

I installed iTunes 7.7 on my PC at work (I have Windows XP, outlook 2003, SP3), configured the mobile me control panel to sync contacts and calendar with outlook, and when sync'ing it says it's going through the contacts and calendar. Funny thing though, no contacts or calendar appts ever show up on mobile me (when looking on the web app) or on my mac or iphone.

- Does this have something to do with the fact that my calendar in outlook is 'connected' to an exchange server? (someone suggested the data is not where mobile me "wants" it to be)

- Why doesn't mobile me see the calendar appts or contacts? My Treo downloaded all that info from the calendar and contacts whenever syncing via a cable...

- If the exchange server is the issue, I can see why the institutional contacts and calendar might not show up, but what about my personal contacts in outlook? They don't get seen either when mobile me 'syncs'.

And oddly, mobile me looks like it's going through everything (it takes several minutes and says it's syncing but apparently it's not "seeing" things.).

Help!