Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'm happy ... things are fast and great again.

In the office where i work i could never get a 3G signal ... only GPRS

now i get 3 bar 3G and get 1.6Mb/s

JonJParr

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2007
Yes!

I love my iPhone. I even loved it when there were bugs. Now I love it 2.1 times more!!!

kevingaffney

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2008
Older iphone user

As someone who had a mobile phone when they were in their infancy, and my first pc for work had an incredible hard drive capacity of 10mb, I am constantly amazed at my iphone. Sure there will always be something else we would like to see included, but for the most part, it is an extremely useful and fun piece of gadgetry to own. Well done to Apple on 2.1. They have responded well to the majority of niggly complaints on the various boards

nimda0

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2008
D-town!
I'm pretty happy with my iphone 3g 16gb black version.

The only gripes I have are the incredibly horrible laggy keyboard, lag with the contact list, and lag with rotating screen on occasion. It's my understanding that all of these are fixed with the 2.1 update. I'll find out soon as I get home and update.

I also have an issue with not having MMS. I understand the desire to want the world to use email, but we aren't there yet. Many people still use MMS on cell phones, so we should have the ability.... i believe it's called "backwards compatability"!!! That's like a blue-ray player not playing regular dvd's.

In addition, I'd like to see the bluetooth be unlocked, and the NETSHARE app restored so we can download it....... but other than those items listed above, i love my iphone.

anbshilling

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
Yup, love my phone :p Sure, I've run across a couple issues now and again, but its just a phone. Like a computer, glitches will happen. By far the coolest phone I've ever had. I don't expect perfection. If this is out now, I just can't help but wonder what will be out a year or two from now? :)

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I've been 100% happy with my iPhone 3G for about 24 hours now. ;)

I bought my iPhone on July 11th after waiting 18 months for it to finally be sold in Japan, but ended up restoring ELEVEN times that first weekend due to ALoDs ... By mid-August I had exchanged the phone (the new one did the same thing, though) and finally ended up jailbreaking. That marked the end of my ALoDs but I still hated the fact that the UI was so damn slow - it was really irritating.

Enter 2.1. A fast UI, fast app installs/upgrades, and no more ALoDs. I FINALLY have the phone I thought I was buying in July. I'm FINALLY happy with this thing. :D

Pared

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
I'm absolutely "ga-ga" over my iPhone.

I was one of the individuals who would complain about what it was lacking. After my contract was up, I jumped in without any hesitation since I loved my iPod touch so much.

Can't say I'm anywhere close to being disappointed. I may wish the phone could do this or that, but I'm quickly over once I pick a song I like from my 16GB's of storage, create a genius playlist, launch Safari for a bit of surfing and then get interrupted by a phone call all in one smooth transition.

Best mobile device I've used, even better than my MotoQ and Dell Axim x50v.

warburg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
You mean that it can actually be used as a phone?:confused::confused::confused: I haven't tried that yet; I'm too busy playing Labyrinth.

ski2moro

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Love the phone, HATE At&T.

Love the phone, HATE At&T.

While I was in Cincinnati for 5 weeks caring for a family member who was ill, the iPhone was great. No dropped calls, clear as a bell, huge signal strength, and everything was wonderful.

I came back to upstate NY and reception stinks. I get No Signal and dropped calls all the time. At my house, I get -103 to -98 at best on Edge, no 3G.

Phone update did nothing for my signal.

Calls to AT&T do nothing. Customer service is still suggesting that I get a new SIM card. Uh, no. It's AT&T. More bars in more places? Not really.

j.larsen

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2008
Kongens Lyngby, Denmark
Nice post. I really appreciate that it is not only post about what the iPhone lacks of features.

I don't have one yet, but one of my friends is so happy about his iPhone, that I actually has placed an order for one now :D

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
My problem with the iphone was not the features that it doesn't have but rather the functionality it was advertised to have but didn't at the time I bought it--such as being able to make and receive phone calls.

Since 2.1 things are *much* better and I'm very happy with it now. I'm able to connect to 3G service about 70% of the time now which is sufficient and there are fewer dropped calls. SMS doesn't lag anymore either, yay!

Even with all the initial bugs I was still amazed by it. Yet it was a little embarrassing to show it to your friends and have application crashes and being unable to connect to Safari.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
I'm pretty happy with my iphone 3g 16gb black version.

The only gripes I have are the incredibly horrible laggy keyboard, lag with the contact list, and lag with rotating screen on occasion.

In addition, I'd like to see the bluetooth be unlocked, and the NETSHARE app restored.

Sums it up for me pretty well also.

At the moment I do have the updated 2.1 and the concerns remain the same. In addition my email is hit and miss. When I wake up in the morning i have to re-start the phone before they begin arriving. I'm patient and hoping things improve both on Apples side and AT&T's side.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
I've enjoyed my first gen phone since I bought it in July 2007, shortly after launch. I even shrugged (mostly) when the price dropped right away. I have no present need to update to the 3G because 3G service is still absent from my area. Each update has improved functionality and made it more useful and more interesting. The advent of the App Store with version 2.0 of the firmware was a big leap forward, but it came with problems for me - the inability to properly deal with POP mail servers and repeated episodes of crashing applications. That was very frustrating, and the time it took to release fixes for those issues and some others really was overly long. That was a period were I began to wonder if switching from Palm was such a good idea.

But now that my issues are fixed with version 2.1 of the firmware, I'm very satisfied again and looking forward to what the future holds for the platform. I really hope Apple doesn't fumble again like it did. I suspect they lost new customers who came to the phone for the first time with the release of the 3G phone and version 2.0 of the firmware and became disenchanted and returned their phones. It would be interesting to know how many of those people there were, and it would also be interesting to know how many potential customers lost interest because of the negative experiences their friends were having at the time.

For me, all's good again.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
I have really liked the phone since the 3g came out, however the SMS rely drove me nuts! But since the update, and the reassurence that this phone does so much really makes me love it!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.