Anyone have a 13" RMBP and Late model MBA???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by intz2nu, Oct 30, 2012.

1. intz2nu macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Does anyone here have a late model MBA and the new 13" model RMBP ??? Would like to know if they could post some pics of them laying flat facing back to back so I could see and compare the thickness of the two units. I seen a late model MBA against the 15" RMBP facing back to back and of course the 15" RMBP is just a real tiny bit thinner than the late model MBA's. However I read that the 13" RMBP is a little thicker than the 15" model and would love to see the difference of it compared to the MBA. This would also help me in a purchasing aspect as I have been mistaken that the new RMBP's could not have Windows installed using Bootcamp which I'm now at a standpoint to sell of my just recently purchase 2012 MBA after having found this out.

2. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

I can't post a pic, but I have them both sitting here on my desk back to back.

First, the rMBP is a consistent thickness, while the Air tapers from front to back. The back edge of the rMBP is every so slightly THINNER than the back edge of the Air. It's also smaller from the top view (i.e. screen is not as wide and high as the Air from the outside casing view).

3. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

So the RMBP you have is the newly just released 13" model or the 15" model? Supposedly the 13" RMBP is a real tiny bit thicker than the 15" RMBP.

4. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

How do you like the rmpb compared to the air. Pros/cons

5. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yes, it's the newly released 13" - just got it yesterday from Apple via China.

I've read as well that the 13" is just slightly thicker than the 15", but it seems thinner than the Air at the very back edge. It may be a bit thicker at the thickest point (middle of the screen), but the rMBP seems a tiny bit thinner than the thickest part of the Air to me.

I was really surprised (and pleased) to see that the unit itself is actually SMALLER than the 13" Air - the width and height of the screen when closed.

So far I like it - doesn't seems massively faster than the Air in my normal use. For me I'm moving up to 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD (from 256) and retina screen, so it's a good upgrade. Screen seems very nice - need to spend some more time playing with the resolutions and window sizes.

6. slumpey326 macrumors 6502

can you please keep on giving us your thoughts after you play with it more. would love your input on the rmpb compared to the air because that is where my choice problem is, which one of the two to get. I can get the base 13 rmpb or the top of the line 13in air (i7, 8gb ram, 256ssd) for the exact same price.

congrats on the purchase.

7. JCT macrumors 6502

FWIW, I made that comparison and went with the rMBP. I'm personally moving up from the 2010 11" MBA so this will be a big difference for me, but my husband has a maxed 13" MBA that I have used quite frequently. I agree that the overall performance is not really different to my eye between the two. I was originally concerned about the weight difference, but that is pretty much minimal. The screen, however, *is* without a doubt a very big difference. I always thought the MBA screen was perfectly OK, I would not trust it (even calibrated) to do any major PS retouching, but it is better (IMHO) than the cMBP screen. The rMBP screen, however, is simply gorgeous -- the color depth almost gives a 3D quality to it.

After using the rMBP for a little bit I just wanted that screen. So I ordered an i7/256 13" rMBP late last week -- should arrive on Thursday. Cant wait.

8. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

See this is the whole aspect is I really love the Air but honestly the specs on the 15" RMBP is what I want. I just want all of that in the Air. Damn if only this was all so possible. At very very least I would take a MBA with a Retina Display on it the day they made one available.

Though currently it seems as if for the short amount of time of just a few months of people who purchased the 15" model RMBP's are having problems with their screens with it chipping. I just got wind of that in the Macbook Pro area and because of this it's somewhat making me think twice on a RMBP of either size, the 13 or 15.

9. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

Here is the 13" classic compared to the retina:
    http://images.techhive.com/images/article/2012/10/13inretina_0-100010096-orig.jpg

The classic 13" has the same footprint as the 13" MBA, so the 13" retina is smaller in two dimensions.

10. evanavevan macrumors member

evanavevan

13" MBA (2011) on left, 13" rMBP (2012) on right. In stacked photo, MBA on bottom, rMBP on top, bottom left corner lined up.

Attached Files:

11. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Great pics. Thanks for posting - saved me the trouble.

12. Maczor macrumors regular

MBA is a great little machine, but the 13" rMBP has 10x more sexy in it.

13. evanavevan macrumors member

evanavevan

13" rMBP is ruining my life, and by "my life" I mean all other displays I look at. I don't even use my 27" iMac + 24" external now because I prefer the 13" retina.

14. atMac macrumors 6502

15. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

Yeah - just cant get that screen and that battery life into that form factor right now...

16. atMac macrumors 6502

They have the same battery life currently, so perhaps with Haswell they will be able to. The 13MBPr also has a 2nd fan and the Air only has 1.

17. johnnyvh macrumors newbie

Which machine do you like better, if you had to chose? The 13 inch Retina or the Air?

18. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I am starting to wonder what the point of the Air is at this point. When they make the rMBP cheaper, I think they will phase the Air out.

19. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Nope. They won't make it cheaper. And if they do, then they'll make the Air cheaper too. It's key to their product line - laptops for general consumers and laptops for professionals.

And at this point, the point of the Air is being $500 cheaper ($400 if you equate RAM)

20. TheRealDamager macrumors 65816

The Air is also half a pound lighter, has better battery life, and is incredibly thin. I'm using both right now, but I have to admit, I'm struggling a bit to justify the rMBP replacing my 2011 Air.

There is little difference in speed for everyday tasks. The screen is better on the rMBP, to be sure, but I frequently use a Thunderbolt display with my Air, so I'm rarely using it's built in screen all day.

21. Saturn1217 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the feedback. Not currently in the market for a new computer but I probably will be next year.

One thing that always bothered me about my current 13" cMBP was the glossy screen. It bothered me enough that I put an anti glare film on it even though it degrades the image quality a bit. Which screen is more reflective between the retina and the air in your experience? Apple claims the retina is less reflective and in a fact both are technically glossy displays but I was just wondering how they compare strictly based on glare.

Thanks in advance!

22. LYFK macrumors regular

I actually think that in the current situation, the 13" Air is a better overall product than the 13" rMBP. Granted, I have not seen the rMBP in person, but I do own the most recent 13" Air.

IMO, the Air does a better job at portability than the (r)Pro does at performance. I hope that next year's refreshes will prove me wrong.

Who knows, maybe the Air will become even more portable as the Pro gets even more powerful. Wishful thinking?

23. intz2nu thread starter macrumors 6502

intz2nu

Those pictures is OH SO HELPFULL!!! Well now it's making me re-think if I should indeed look at going ahead to selling off my Full-spec 2012 Air. That thing is just so Beautifull!!! I just wish the 13" RMBP had a Quad Core Processor like the 15" model. However I don't think I really wanna be caught dead or alive with a 15" notebook. Too bad Apple didn't a 14". Damn this has my mind puzzling a little bit.

24. Maczor macrumors regular

They keep the MBAs as the cheapest models they have and eventually get rid of the cMBPs. So the lineup will be: MBA ( 11", 13" ), rMBP ( 13", 15" ). I'll give the cMBPs max 2 more years of file...

25. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

I've had both in front of me for some time. I got a Air myself and a friend the rMBP 13". Although the retina screen is great, the rMBP still seems bulky compared to the MBA. On the posted pics in this thread, you don't really notice it, but in real life you will. The wedge-form of the Air really makes a difference.

I like the lightness when picking up my Air. The rMBP 13" can be lifted with one hand, but you won't - it's just not light enough.

So it really depends on your preferences. Personally I went for the Air, due to the pricetag of the rMBP 13" - not worth it. Although I really wanted the 15"(r), I couldnt afford it.

But they're both great, and you won't be disappointed regardless of your choice.