Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
I'm looking into buying one, and reviews seem to be pretty universally positive. What do you think? Would you buy a Versa over the Fit?

LifeIsCheap

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
Sydney, Oz.
Yup

I've got a Fit. It's called the Jazz over here in Oz. I've got the middle of the line VTi with CVT (auto transmission). It's really easy to drive around town and can fit a lot of stuff in it. Good mileage as well. Nothing much more to say! It's not an exciting car but I've got zero regrets. For thrills I get on my motorbike :)

Don't know anything about the Versa but the Fit won't disappoint I reckon.

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
I know 3 people that have them and really like them. They get good fuel economy (Averages in mid 30's if I remember correctly). Personally I think it looks a bit small to be safe but apparently it has a 5 star crash rating. I would also be afraid to take it out in snow...

debroglie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
My wife and I drive a Fit Sport 5spd MT and we could not be any happier. We labored over our decision and tried everything out, and kept going back to the Fit.

We LOVE it. We get ~40mpg highway, and ~34mpg in this bad Philly traffic here. It has TONS of storage - we moved from Michigan to Philadelphia with this thing and we could not believe how much stuff we could fit in our car! Also, with the stick it is a blast to drive (although when test driving I was a bit underwhelmed by the automatic variety). We can park anywhere and yet fit everything we need in it. It is smaller, but I feel wonderfully safe in it. The maintenance costs are low - it calculates the viscosity of your oil and we've changed it a bit early each time and still made it 6000 miles between oil changes.

As far as the snow comment goes, we drove it everyday this last winter in Michigan. It was the worst winter we've had in my lifetime (20" snow overnight was common) and I felt more comfortable in the Fit than in my Saab. The tires they put on this things are really quite great.

We could not be any happier with a car. We have ~16k miles on our 2008 Fit already, and if we buy another car it will DEFINITELY be a Honda Fit.

Also, I should mention that we did not like the Versa much at all, and we were frustrated with Toyota with how they deal with options with the Yaris. Also, my wife got seasick in the Yaris going down the highway in the wind if that tells you anything...

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^^Seasick in a Yaris? That's because the Yaris is rubbish. Drove it for a week (500+ km), and my little Hyundai Getz owns that car. Beats it in space (back seat legroom and storage), and drives slightly better.

My girlfriend just got the Fit, and enjoys it. :)

d_and_n5000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Isn't the Civic just slight more than the Fit? Wouldn't the Civic be a much better choice?

Not necessarily. The Civic might be a bit upmarket, but the Fit isn't bad either. If, for example, you want a wagon, then you have to get a Fit(this is the States, mind you). The Fit isn't exactly a deprived car in the way of features.

Besides, there are quite a lot of people that want the cheapest car they can get away with, period. Even an extra grand or so is too much.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yes, but will it have Montevina? :eek: :p

I'd consider the Fit. I haven't had a try driving one yet, but reviews are surprisingly generous with respect to its steering and suspension (about which I'm very picky).

I'm still piecing through what I'll do when I drop on Chi-town in a month. I might go carless. I might keep my Mazda6 for another year beyond my original plan. A used Mini or one of these, MY08, wouldn't be out of the question either. I miss having a small car too much. While the 6 is a great midsize car, it's just too big.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Isn't the Civic just slight more than the Fit? Wouldn't the Civic be a much better choice?

I had a 2007 Civic for a rental a couple weeks ago and HATED that thing. It had absolutely no power at lower RPMs, I had to floor it to get the thing to move. Pretty boring car....plus, I hate any car that doesn't have 3 pedals ;)

Maybe the Fits are better (being cheaper, I doubt it though).

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
plus, I hate any car that doesn't have 3 pedals ;)

When did Civics stop being available with manual transmissions? Pssh, a C-segment, non-premium car, with an automatic transmission, and a gasoline engine, that has no low end grunt. That's a shocker. :p The outliers are the ones that actually do okay on that kind of configuration!

Although I do have to also say that I have never been impressed with the Civic's vehicle dynamics. I also personally don't much like the short throw clutches that are in most Hondas, although I can live with that....

turcotte44

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2007
VW City Golf

After I totaled my car, I was looking to buy a cheap car as a replacement. I considered the Fit and the Versa but they just seemed so inadequate compared to the VW City Golf (with added on options). If I'm not mistaken, the base model Fit has 2 speakers while the Golf has 8... I understand the Golf may not get the same mileage as the Fit, but for the same amount of money you can get a real car instead of a cheap mini minivan.

Needless to say, insurance payed $7k to repair my protege, so I stayed with that in the end.

bobscliff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2005
NYC
After I totaled my car, I was looking to buy a cheap car as a replacement. I considered the Fit and the Versa but they just seemed so inadequate compared to the VW City Golf (with added on options). If I'm not mistaken, the base model Fit has 2 speakers while the Golf has 8... I understand the Golf may not get the same mileage as the Fit, but for the same amount of money you can get a real car instead of a cheap mini minivan.

Needless to say, insurance payed $7k to repair my protege, so I stayed with that in the end.

i do appreciate the interior quality of a volkswagen, although i'd be concerned about repair costs and reliability compared to honda (i really dont want to start that argument though)

thanks for all your help!

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
i do appreciate the interior quality of a volkswagen, although i'd be concerned about repair costs and reliability compared to honda (i really dont want to start that argument though)

thanks for all your help!

Although supposedly Consumer Reports gave the VW Rabbit above average reliability, although with VW's track record, I'm not sure how the Rabbit managed to do so well.

But we don't have to discuss that...

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Between the Nissan Versa and a Honda Fit, I would definitely get the Fit. The Versa to me is rather ugly (sorry Versa owners :eek: ). Although, I own a BMW now, I have had several Hondas ('89 Accord LX-i & a 2004 Accord Coupe EX-V6) in the past - they are great cars that will last you for a long time to come! :)

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
^^^Seasick in a Yaris? That's because the Yaris is rubbish. Drove it for a week (500+ km), and my little Hyundai Getz owns that car. Beats it in space (back seat legroom and storage), and drives slightly better.

My girlfriend just got the Fit, and enjoys it. :)

That's funny. I test drove both and I couldn't stand the Getz. Got my little Yaris instead :D

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I don't have one, but if I was in the market for a small car, it would be the Fit. The competition is all butt ugly and the Honda interior is always the best interior.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
hmm i dunno, i love Honda's i drive an Acura EL which is pretty much like a civic with some small upgrades.. of course a civic isnt fast, i dont think its supposed otbe, its an economy car, and for that i love it, if i wanted a fast car I would buy one..I am more into gas consumption nowdays... i was looking at the fit since my parent's civic is coming off lease soon, but the difference of prices between the Fit and teh Civic don's add up to me i think we are gogin for the civic, lookinga t the hybrids right now actually.. we'll see

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
My problem with it is it is to small. I would want a larger car.

I currently drive a sentra and I just want something larger at least more room in the driver seat.

me personally I am after the mid size cars.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Is that typical of Civics? Every other car I drive has most of it's power down low, so you don't have to floor the gas just to get the car moving.

Most small gasoline engines don't, actually. No normally aspirated I4 does. If you have a manual transmission, you have extremely favorable gearing in the low gears, which makes it seem to have more power at low RPMs (and indeed brings about the 1+ second 0-60 improvement you typically get). But it's the gear ratio and not the engine.

Turbochargers can produce more power at low RPMs after they spool, and superchargers can do it right away, but not a normally aspirated gasoline engine. Diesel engines also have lots of low end torque. If you look at the HP and torque specs on a typical diesel small car, IIRC, it has moderately less HP than a comparable gas engine but far more torque.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Most small gasoline engines don't, actually. No normally aspirated I4 does. If you have a manual transmission, you have extremely favorable gearing in the low gears, which makes it seem to have more power at low RPMs (and indeed brings about the 1+ second 0-60 improvement you typically get). But it's the gear ratio and not the engine.

Turbochargers can produce more power at low RPMs after they spool, and superchargers can do it right away, but not a normally aspirated gasoline engine. Diesel engines also have lots of low end torque. If you look at the HP and torque specs on a typical diesel small car, IIRC, it has moderately less HP than a comparable gas engine but far more torque.

Umm I am going to point you to the Nissan 2.5 liter I4 which has quite a bit or low end power. Hell there 2.0 I4 they used in early 90's had a lot of low end power.
This is something review after review will state is one of the strong points of the cars that used this engine.

iJesus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Reno, Nevada
I'd go with the VW Rabbit myself.

The 2009 model looks sooo bad ass.
I'm hoping to get one as a graduation present.
Anyways, I don't know much about the fit.

Attachments

• 0609_x+2009_volkswagen_rabbit+front.jpg
    0609_x+2009_volkswagen_rabbit+front.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 107
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.