Anyone have a Honda Ridgeline?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by HE15MAN, Nov 10, 2009.

1. HE15MAN macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

If so, what do you think of it? Please spare me of the "its not a real truck" rubbish.

I am looking for a very reliable vehicle that drives and rides like an SUV but has a truck bed, that gets good gas mileage considering and has great crash test results and is not boring looking.

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Sounds like what you want is validation for a choice you've already made.

If you really want a truck bed without the bouncy ride, you can either adjust your suspension or throw a couple of sandbags back there.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The Ridgeline actually drives more like a car. You won't find another truck that rides as smooth because it is built on car-like chassis. All of this also gives way for the locking trunk bed, which is where the spare tire is but also where you can store all kinds of stuff. Two golf bags will fit among other things (it has a drain hole if you wish to use it as a cooler). It doesn't have a V8, the V6 has yet to show signs of not being powerful enough. Because of that I get more MPG in the city than advertised. My average MPG is 17 city, they say you get 15 city in the 2009 models.

As far as autos go Hondas are very reliable. There should be little question about the brand. The Ridgeline is no longer really an infant and shouldn't be considered a "newcomer" to the truck/SUV/SUT market. They hold their value very well and if you're willing to buy used then you can save some cash and still get a great truck. In the last couple of years Honda has given their Pilot and Ridgeline lines a more beefy look. 2007 was a step up from 2006, 2008 from 2007 etc. One thing is in 2009 the 2008 Ridgeline owners went nuts over the rims on the 2009. I've been offered a fair sum for mine if I ever choose to move to something more custom.

I've driven more trucks than cars and I've owned two Hondas now. After buying the Ridgeline I have to say that I can't imagine getting a different truck or not driving a Honda and after driving a 2007 Silverado (Chevy Truck), the drive in the Ridgeline is just amazing.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Well you are going to get it from me. The Ridgeline is not a truck. It is an Odyssey with a truck bed. And the Ridgeline is boring looking( IMHO since looks are subjective).

Go grab the Avalanche which the Ridgeline copies from.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This coming from someone driving a BMW. :)

I would avoid the Avalanche at all costs if you're looking for a vehicle that will outlast your typical auto loan. I say this because I've yet to see any convincing evidence that all of the plastic used to accessorize the Avalanche won't fade and/or crack over time. I believe that if you garage your car then you may get numerous years. For me, personal opinion on the cheap look of it all aside, I'm not sure plastic on cars is built to last.

The Ridgeline does share the same chassis as the Odyssey and Acura MDX. I love how people avoid that fact all together. What the Ridgeline has is 4WD and a fully independent suspension.

You can have your opinion that the Rigeline is not a truck. I'm certain, as a former truck owner of both Fords and Nissans that the Ridgeline can handle what I throw at it, but it offers a nicer ride than any "truck" is going to ever give you. Close to it would have to be the Chevy Silverado so long as you don't have to make any turns, in that case the thing rocks more than a boat in the wake of a yacht.

A couple downfalls with the Ridgeline are that there is a huge rear blind spot where the bed extends up the back of the cab and NAVI is not standard unless you get the top of the line model.

6. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

IMO, the Avalanche is the only truck uglier than the Ridgeline. If I were to get a truck I'd settle for a Tacoma (reliable, not too ugly). If someone (a reliable brand) comes out with a diesel midsize/compact truck, I wouldn't have to settle.:cool:

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I bet you can find a used Baja for not too much. :p

8. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

Get an F-150 best truck out there, and has been the best truck for the last 30+ years.

9. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'd argue not even close.

Get an imported Toyota LC75/79 pickup. Finest pickup built on the planet. Ever.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Looks like we have a few drivers here but not a lot of readers. The OP is asking about a specific vehicle, not your personal opinion on which to buy. It would appear there was some research done already if he is aware of the crash test reports.

11. davegregory macrumors regular

Gotta agree with Jessica...I'm a happy Ridgeline owner. You will not find an interior of a truck nicer than Honda's. Is it an Odyssey with a bed? Absolutely, and that's not a bad thing at all. The towing capacity of a Ridgeline is 5000lbs, Avalanche 5,500. You didn't list towing as a requirement so I'm assuming you'll never get near that much. I didn't get navigation, I had it installed aftermarket. I didn't like the Honda navigation. Plus I got a rearview camera with the aftermarket one. You really want a rearview camera, or backup sensor system. I cannot stress how large the blindspot is behind you. Even with the gate down. When you're finished with it, you won't regret buying a Honda. Resale is very good. Not something you can say about an Avalanche. The hidden trunk in the bed is also a nice touch as it's lockable. As is the double-hinged tailgate.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't even consider the backup blind spot. I thought that was independent to me and others who are hovering around my height. With the navi came the camera. Apparently it's not always standard, I don't know how mine came with it but the salesperson was quite confused because it wasn't listed on the invoice. The backup camera is indeed a must. Again, owning other trucks I never felt more blind than I do in the Ridgeline but that can be said for a lot of 4-door trucks on the road today.

13. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Well in El Salvador.....a ridgeline would be insane :D;):p.......u would have like 10 people riding the back + 4-5 in the back seat + 2 or 3 in the front = 15-18 people!

+2, if you can ride it through a river 5 feet or higher....

+3, if you can ride it manually....

+4, if you can withstand only washing it 3 times a year...;)

it's a good car.

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Really? What makes you think this thread or ANY thread about cars can stay on topic? Because I know you're not new to teh internets.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot that bolded not in my original comment. :)

15. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

My family also has a 2002 Chevy Suburban. We also have had a 1996 Suburban. Both have been the most reliable vehicles my family has owned.

16. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

Well I have done my research these last few days...

I was not terribly happy with any of the competition. The F-150 wasn't nearly as nice IMO as the Ridgeline, plus they are a dime a dozen.

The Tacoma's ride wasn't nearly as nice and felt much more cramped than the Ridgeline.

The Avalanche is def. a no go. No way I am trusting GMC again after my Envoy is a POS.

And I wont be using this for a work truck, just for good ole Florida fun.

Kayaking, fishing, running from hurricanes ETC!

And IMO the Ridgeline looks much nicer on the outside and more classy then the Tacoma and Frontiers. They look like high schooler's trucks..

17. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

If you want the "hey i've got a truck" look, get a ridgeline.

If you plan on pulling anything, or throwing anything in the back and use a truck for what it's for, don't get a ridgeline.

18. HE15MAN thread starter macrumors 6502a

HE15MAN

LOL. You act like the 2 1/2 tons the Ridgeline can tow is nothing. It will easily tow a boat up to about 24', small RV's etc..Do you want picture proof? lol

19. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I'm just saying i wouldn't use a ridgeline to do much towing. A small boat, or lawn mower. Get a 3/4 ton diesel and a trailer with brakes and you'll be set to haul most anything. After that get a dully and a gooseneck. Then you can haul anything.

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You're seriously off base here recommending a dully ;). The OP has stated his needs and clearly the 5000 lb towing capacity of the Ridgeline is going to be just fine for his needs. A 3/4 ton diesel or a dully is too much for anyone who doesn't haul much.

You can haul much more than a lawn mower with the Ridgeline. I've seen it done and I'm certain I can go hook up a ball to my hitch and tow most cars in the parking lot with ease.

HE15MAN, I think the reason you find the rides of the Tundra, Silverado, and F-150 to be so different is due to the chassis. I don't think it needs repeating how the chassis vary. Somehow Honda made the Ridgeline rugged and elegant all in one. Yes, it shares the MDX and Oddesey chassis, but that hasn't stopped it from being a truck or as Honda calls it an SUT.

What I like about it is that I can get 5000 lb towing capacity and not have to suffer with the guzzling gas hog that a V8 would be. Recently driving an 07 Silverado, with a V8 using the Flex Fuel technology, I saw that silly truck hover around a 4 cylinder more than it ever hit a V6 or V8. There's a way to see in the Chevys that have that technology what engine power it is using. For city driving, again, I was running on 4 cyl, I hit 6 on what can be considered a large hill in city terms (not San Francisco hills), and never saw 8 cyls. Therefore, I firmly believe the 6 is enough.

Now, I've had other 6 cyls in other trucks and they felt laggy. Somehow, again, Honda found the right combination. The Ridgeline hasn't felt laggy at all. I'll report back if it happens one day when I hit the Blue Ridge Mountains. :)

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

It is the chassis. The Ridgeline is a unibody build which isn't as durable(yet) as the traditional body on frame way for traditional trucks. Unibody vehicles do ride better then body on frame.

And to the V6 issue, that is mostly because the traditional truck buyers go for the V8 so the Big 3 don't pay attention to the V6 much. The 4.3 V6 that is in the Silverado/Sierra is at least a decade old and hasn't been touched much. V6 trucks are mostly fleet sales and just want a cheap truck.

By the sounds of it, the Ridgeline will do what you want fine. But, I still stress it isn't a truck. Just a minivan with a bed. :)

BTW, the Avalanche is a Chevy, not a GMC. :p

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I wasn't really referring to the Avalanche at all in my last reply. But yes, I know it's a GMC.

At any rate, you're right. The durability of the Ridgeline's chassis can be questioned and yes, if you truly want to rough it then the Ridgeline may not hold up well over time. I've been on quite a few 4WD excursions in my time with "real" trucks and I probably wouldn't put my Ridgeline through that torture. The trucks held up fine but again, that's the chassis. So you're right in every case.

For me, now in my older age 4-wheeling isn't my scene. For that I'd go buy a Rubicon manual. ;) But hauling something either in the bed or by tow is something I have and can see myself doing again. The Ridgeline will hold up to that. I think it's important to know what the truck can handle. I didn't enter into the Ridgeline purchase lightly. I came from a Ford, previous to that another Ford, previous to that two Nissans. All but one was 4WD and all but two were used in Gorman mostly.

I guess my point in my purchase was a bit of luxury; since it's my only car, a bit of ruggedness; since I'm a dork, and the ability to drop **** in the back and not worry. Just last weekend I purchased a 36" table and the people were amazed that I could lay it down flat in the bed due to the lack of wheel wells sticking out from the sides. It's things like that and the fact that I can carry some tools and golf clubs in the back that make me happy about the Ridgeline. ;)

23. dino12 macrumors member

I have an 05 Avalanche, it has 156,000 miles on it and it still runs like a brand new truck. The only thing that I have done to it was put a new water pump on it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Mine doesn't have all of that plastic crap on it. Perform regular maintenance on your car, i always put a quart of Lucas in my oil when I change it.

24. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I was talking to the OP about the Avalanche being a Chevy not a GMC and the Ridgeline will fit her demands fine. Sorry for the confusion. :)

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You don't have that black plastic crap? I don't think I've seen them without it. If I saw that then I bet it'd look fairly nice. I think I like the fold down cab deal, if your's has that.